Reload this Page >

Two Pick-ups &Trailers to Alaska

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Jack

Around the first of May these two rigs, one pulling a two axel travel trailer and one pulling an equipment trailer, will be going via the Alcan HWY. A few questions:

1. Since 9/11, does the Canadian Gov't do background checks and if so, how long does one have to wait at the check point?

2. Is anything beside a drivers lic. and sufficient funds required?

3. Vehicles have different state lic. than the trailers. Any problems there?

Any bit of info to help speed up the process will be appreciated.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 09:23 AM
CF

Friends had their motor home searched at the border.

I think all states are cracking down on the practice of licensing trailers in different states.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 09:50 AM
John

You need proof of citizenship, not just a drivers license. A copy of a birth certificate or a passport is the best way. You will also need proof of insurance on all the vehicles.

The wait northbound into Canada typically isn't that bad, but re-entry into the US can take hours in places. Your chances of a complete search are small but it happens.

You shouldn't have a problem with different plates on the trailers, but you should be able to show they're under your control (rental license, title, etc.)

In early May you need to be prepared for some pretty rough road conditions, especially in the Yukon and interior Alaska. There will still be a lot of potholes and rough patches from spring breakup; the chance of some winter driving conditions can't be ruled out, but unlikely.

Just a thought - have you considered shipping the P/Us or trailers via TOTE or Sea-Land from Seattle/Tacoma? Takes about 4 days to Anchorage. Also in May the state ferry might be competitive to driving, considering all expenses.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Jack

Thanks CF and John
CF I don't mind being searched from front to back. Not carrying anything illegal. I pull trailers with different state lic. plates plates all the time and never had a problem. First time for every thing, I guess.

John Do you have an e-mail for the state ferry? I could spare the extra 2 days and don't mind the cost of twice what it would be to drive. Also if you happen to have e-mail for Sea-Land and other shippers.

Thanks again

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 12:22 PM
John

Jack, try
http://www.totemocean.com
http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.html

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Jack

Thanks very much, John. Will get on the net after the tv of the winter games tonight. Will post my findings after the search.