Two Islands or One & Where to Stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I will be attending a friend's wedding in Oahu in April with another couple for 10 days. Should we stay in Oahu the entire time and take day trips to other islands or should we stay for 5 or 6 days in Oahu and 4-5 days on Maui or Kaui? Recommendations on places to stay would be helpful too.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 03:37 PM

You haven't given us much to work with here... budget? I'd definitely recommend splitting your time between Maui and Oahu, NOT day trips! If your budget is upper crust, you could stay at the Grand Wailea or the Four Seasons. If not, just go on Priceline 2 weeks before you leave and snap a decent 4 star hotel, with another in reserve as a back up.

Next time, be sure to put the name of the islands you're visiting in the title so we know where you're interested in. You'll get much more response that way.

Good luck,
Steve
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 07:33 PM
noblesm

I would stay 2 days on Oahu, and 4 each in Maui and Kauai. Of the three islands that you mention, Oahu was my least favorite. Pearl Harbor and the big waves on the North Shore were awesome, but the rest of the island couldn't compare to Maui and Kauai in scenery and peacefulness. My suggestion would be to enjoy the wedding and then hit the other islands!

Old Dec 26th, 2004, 08:11 PM

Aloha cak01,

Assuming that this is your 1st time to the islands, I would recommend that you research O'ahu, Maui and Kauai to determine which islands are most appealing to your vacation desires. If you search the different islands on this forum, you'll find a ton of info.
Go to your local library and read about them in the different guide books available.

What do you like to do? Hiking, sightseeing, exploring, snorkeling, diving, surfing, chilling on a beach, relaxing poolside...

What type of lodging? Resorts w/ full amenities, condo w/ full kitchen, vacation home to accomadate 2 couples...

Will this be your only trip to Hawaii, or do you have the option of returning?

I personally enjoy to visit one island at a time, as each one has unique flavor and beauty unlike the next. My last two trips to Hawaii have both been to O'ahu with our time split... 3 nights oceanfront in Waikiki and 7 nights in a beachfront bungalow on the north shore.

It certainly was not enough time to thoroughly explore O'ahu, and I still have the desire to return to try some of the things I haven't gotten to.

I've been to Maui for a 2 week trip, and again the same story... not enough time to do everything I'd like to.

Kauai twice, one week each and Big Island once.

My hope is to continue returning for the rest of my life and hopefully I'll never tire of any of the islands. They are all stunning and lovely in their own special way.

Most of the people who bash O'ahu haven't been on the island more than a day or two... those who have will tell you a much different story. Do a search on this forum for the thread titled "Why I love Oahu, too" for much insight as to why O'ahu is a favorite of so many...

Nothing against Maui or Kauai or BI... they are all worth visiting. I just like to take my time exploring each of them.

Whatever you decide, happy planning! You can't go wrong anywhere in Hawaii. Aaaaaalohhhhhaaaaa!

Old Dec 26th, 2004, 09:58 PM

Day trips would be a waste of your time.I like to stay on one island per trip. Stay the entire time on Oahu and split it up between Waikiki and the North Shore or the Windward side.
Have a great trip.
-Bill
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 06:15 AM

IMHO, 10 days is alot of time to cover more than one island. Hard to recommend which one(s) because you don't state what kind of vacation &activities you're seeking.

Maui has the most beaches and the US's largest tropical rainforest that you can explore by car (Road to Hana) and also you can day trip from Maui by ferry to other islands (Lanai or Molokai).

Kaua`i offers stunning beauty in terms of Mountain, Bay&Ocean views, and some relatively secluded beaches.

The Big Island offers a chance to experience Hawaii's only active volcano and quite diverse environmental conditions and terrain.

Feel free to ask more
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 11:25 AM

My vote is for staying on Oahu - there is so much to do and see - 10 days is just a start. Personally I prefer one island a trip because I hate giving up time to packing & unpacking & airports and hotel check-in - I'd much rather spend my time exploring & enjoying one island at a time and never seem to get it all in, no matter how long I stay. Like the other posters suggested, you could split your time between Waikiki and the North Shore. Do a search here and read through the posts and you'll find a wealth of information & suggestions. Whatever you decide - have a great time and don't forget to kick back and relax! There's no place on earth like Hawaii, so wherever you decide to visit will be wonderful.