Search

Two days in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Michele

Two days in Atlanta

Hello,

My family of 4 (2 kids, ages 11 and 9) will be spending 2 separate days/nights in Atlanta this June due to overnight layovers going to/from USVI (from the West Coast). We arrive 4pm, leave the next day at noon (not much time, I know!). Then the next week we will arrive in the evening and not fly out until 5pm the next day.

My question is where we should stay, what activities are not to be missed, and if we need a car. Would like to stay in a different area each time -- have been reading about the neighborhoods (Buckhead, Midtown, Downtown). Am thinking Buckhead first (will only have time to explore in the evening) and then maybe Midtown or Downtown on the way back (definitely want to see MLK Centre and maybe the High Museum). Any recommendations on whether this seems logical, hotels, etc. is much appreciated!!

Thank you,
Michele

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Jason

Since you will be in Atlanta in June, I would highly recommend the Stone Mountain Laser Light Show. It is very good, and goes on nightly in the summer. The show is free, but there is a parking fee.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Don

MARTA mass transit to/from airport is excellent, IMHO. $1.75 from anywhere/to anywhere MARTA trains run. If you don't plan to stray too far, I'd depend on MARTA.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 04:59 PM
april

During the time that you stay downtown plan to visit The World of Coca-Cola. Kids usually enjoy tasting the drinks from all over the world. You can take Marta to Underground Atlanta (which has shops and restaurants) and the WOC is across the street.

The Ritz Carlton, Swiss Hotel, and Hyatt are convenient hotels in Buckhead. There is also an Amerisuites if you want something less expensive. All are fairly close to Marta, if you are not renting a car.

You might also consider staying in Midtown vs. Downtown. It is close to the High and several excellent restaurants.

Have a great trip!

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 06:01 AM
RB

Since your stays are short, ditto on using MARTA to get to your destinations. Would a Braves baseball game be of interest to your family? The view of the city from Turner Field ("the Ted") is really pretty, and the stadium is a beautiful facility. If you're not that hung up about being close to the game action, you can get less-expensive seats in the upper deck, and most kids enjoy hanging around the misting stations and the Howard Finister Coke Bottle on the upper deck anyway! There are interactive games and a museum to occupy those who don't follow the game, and all types of dining are available. Look at www.atlantabraves.com; it lists hotel possibilities. You could stay at the Embassy Suites in Buckhead - it's one block from the MARTA station. You can take MARTA to the game; use www.itsmarta.com to plan your trips around town. The idea posted about Stone Mountain is good- but you have to take a combination of MARTA train & bus to get there, and I'm not sure of the schedule at night. The Evergreen Conference Center at Stone Mountain is a nice facility for a possible stay, though, and the Laser Show, which runs nightly from May 24-Aug. 11 is indeed awesome. www.stonemountainpark.com. For a daytime experience, try a studio tour of CNN, followed by a walk around the fountains at Centennial Park- these two events don't take up too much time. You can't go wrong with a visit to the High or the King Center; in fact, the High will be exhibiting "Over the Line: The Art and Life of Jacob Lawrence" June 15-Sept. 8, which showcases more than 200 works by this leading American modernist and the first 20th century African American artist to achieve national recognition. Good luck & safe travels.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 08:10 AM
dougd

I'm sure there are some great neighborhoods in Atlanta, but I woudn't reccommend the downtown area. I stayed there for a few nights while at a conference, and fount it a pretty uninteresting area. The Coke museum is ok, and the Olympic plaza is ok, but I wouldn't say they are 'must sees'. Again, I'm not trying to put down Atlanta, since I've heard some good things about other parts of the city.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Arabella

The botanical gardens has an enchanting garden designed for kids. Very whimsical, creative and fun. Even has a waterfall.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Michele

Thank you all so much for the advice! Some great ideas to consider!

Is Midtown a better place to stay in that Downtown (for the second leg of our stay)? Any recommendations for a nice but not break-the-bank hotel? Expedia is offering a great rate at a place called Regency Suites -- is anyone familiar with that? Also, if we stayed in Midtown, are the High Museum & MLK Centre within walking distance? If not, is it easy transport on MARTA?

Thanks again,

Michele