Two adults in Washington DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a repeat message from earlier, but wanted to post it again with DC in the title.

My husband and I are travelling to DC in a few weeks for a conference. We will have two full days to ourselves to do sightseeing. My husband has never been there, so we want to be sure to see the highlights (Arlington cemetary, National Cathedral, National Archives, Ford's Theater, Holocaust Museum). We will have a few evenings earlier in the week when I thought that we could do the Monuments by Moonlight tour and Georgetown. We are staying at the Marriot Wardman Park which looks like it is quite a distance from most things. Am looking for suggestions as to how to make the most of the two free days that we have (logical order of sites, etc) and what transportation you would recommend (we will not have a car). Also, are there any good restaurants or points of interest near the Marriott Wardman Park that we shouldn't miss?
Thanks in advance!

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 12:35 PM

The Marriott Wardman Park is right next to the Omni Shoreham, which is where I stayed in DC in November. You will have access to the red line Metro, which is almost right in front of the hotel. The Metro is very easy to figure out, and it takes about 10 -15 minutes to get to the main sightseeing areas. However, I have seen mixed reviews of that Marriott on tripadvisor.com, so just check into it.

The only sights closest to the hotel is maybe the National Zoo a few blocks north on CT Ave. and the Cathedral. There are also a lot of restaurants in the area, so finding a meal will not be a problem. Can't remember any that stood out at this moment. You're also close to Adams Morgan, home of a slew of restaurants and bars.

You will be able to get a lot done in 2 days, but allow proper time. Holocaust Museum will need at least an hour, as well as the Air and Space Museum. Arlington Cemetary will require at least 2 hours. The Smithsonian museums close about 5 or 5:30 if I remember correctly. The National Zoo took me about 3 hours. Arlington Cemetary may have later hours now (maybe closing around 6 or 7pm).

If I had to do it again, I would start day one by the Holocaust Museum, and the Smithsonian museums. Day two could cover everything else.

Hope some of this helps!
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 03:16 PM

As mentioned above, you'll be right at a subway stop so it makes sense to use it to get to the sights (about 10-15 minutes by subway). You're stop is called "Woodley Park/Zoo". I would group Arlington cemetary/Holocaust Museum together one day and Archives/Ford's on the other. Their Metro stops are: Arlington Cemtary/"Arlington Cemetary", Holcaust Museum/"Smithsonian", Archives/"Archives", Fords/"Metro Center". The Cathedral is best reached by taking a cab from your hotel (close). Monuments by night is a great idea - very dramatic. There are numerous restaurants along Connecticut Ave. right by your hotel, just read their sidewalkmenus to see what appeals. I would also sugest you walk across the Calvert St bridge to 18th st. just south of Columbia Rd. - tons a GREAT restaurants and nightlife (about a 10 min. walk from your hotel)- ask the hotel for more info on this stretch of 18th st.

Here's are links for the metro system and als for Adams Morgan eats (18th st)

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...an&option=4000
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 03:20 PM

One very good way to see the mall area (Smithsonian, Holocaust Museum, Washington Monument, etc.) and Arlington Cemetery is to take the on/off bus that runs around the route.

Please don't miss seeing the Lincoln Memorial. Nothing else quite compares to that, IMO.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 03:41 PM
mrublee

From what I recall, you need tickets to the Holocaust Museum. Check out their web site and see. Maybe you can buy them through ticketmaster before hand for a small fee?