Twin Cities ice cream?

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 09:50 AM
martha

Twin Cities ice cream?

A friend of mine is newly relocated to North Oaks and newly pregnant. I'd like to get her a gift certificate for an ice cream shop (don't tell the authors of "What to eat when you're expecting"). Any sugestions?

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 07:58 PM
stosh

Since no one has replied in a direct way to this , let me offer you a suggestion. Go to www.yp.yahoo.com and enter your friend's exact address and then you can search for ice cream places which you'll find under restaurants. This will give you all the places close to her and exactly how far they are from her place.You can contact them directly about getting a gift certificate for her. You should be able to work something out in this manner. Good luck.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 08:41 PM
Dii

Sonny's Ice Cream on Lyndale in South Mpls. is wonderful, but it is a ways from North Oaks. There are probably the usual chain ice cream stores in the North Oaks and St. Paul Area. Also might be some good places in White Bear Lake and surrounding Area which is closer to North Oaks. I will contact my sister in Edina and ask for some ideas and get back to you. If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me by e-mail. My family still lives in the Twin Cities and I can check with them.

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 07:44 PM
Dii

Hi Again...I talked to my sister in Mpls. Area tonight and she strongly suggests Sebastian Joe's. They make their own ice cream and a lot of the better restaurants serve it and it is wonderful (according to her). They have one in Stillwater (probably the closest to North Oaks) and on Franklin in Mpls. and another by Lake Harriet in Mpls. She said the Sonny's doesn't have a retail store anymore and it sells to restaurants and other places but she doesn't know where to get it. She says they might have a cafe attached to their plant but doesn't know. It is in South Mpls. Good luck!

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 04:05 AM
martha

Thanks Dii--to you and your sister! The Yahoo Yellow Pages route had already let me down when I posted; I knew the Fodorites wouldn't.
Calcium can be fun!

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 06:34 AM
Julie

Even though Schwan's isn't delicacy type ice cream -- it certainly is good! I know they sell gift certificates and hey, the guy comes right to your door!! I'm sure they have a website.

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 09:08 AM
Kim

Absolutely Sebastian Joe's! I live a mile from their and they have the best ice cream. I've never been to the one in Stillwater but the Mpls Franklin Ave location is in a great spot. Tell her to get some ice cream and take a stroll by the lakes. Of course she could do that at Lake Harriett too. Tell her to try the Raspberry Chocolate Chip if they have it that day - they rotate their flavors. Happy eating!

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 08:39 AM
The Claw

I'm an expert when it comes to ice cream in the Twin Cities. I would concur with previous posters regarding Sebastian Joe's. Unfortunately no locations near North Oaks. Two in S. Minneapolis and one not terribly far away in Stillwater. The other choice is The Grand Old Creamery on Grand Ave in St. Paul. Very rich, high quality ice cream. It's less than 10 miles from North Oaks and another good choice.

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 05:30 AM
martha fright

I just got an enthusiastic thank you from my friend and thought I should pass it along--Sebastian Joe's (and a walk by the lake) was a big hit.
Maybe when I go out to visit we can try some of the other recommendations.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 09:56 PM
Dii

Hi Again Martha...I'm so glad that your friend liked Sebastian Joe's and enjoyed walking around the lakes. I am going back to Minnesota next month and can't wait to do the same. Hope you enjoy your visit with your friend. Do enjoy the ice cream and the walk around the lakes too - they are really neat!!