Tumi Outlet stores

May 10th, 2004, 01:32 PM
OliveOyl

Tumi Outlet stores

Seeing the old thread on luggage this afternoon gave me a sudden thought. We are going to Dallas in a couple of weeks and I know there is a Tumi Outlet store at Grapevine Mills. Has anyone been in any of these and are their pieces and prices worthwhile?

We already have 4 pieces, but have often found we could use another of the wheeled carry-ons, that there are trips we could leave the next larger size home and just use two wheeled carry-ons. We own the traditional black with black on black lining, so would like to stick with that, although the lining doesn't matter at all. Are these things easy to find in the outlet store? I would think that they'd be snapped up as soon as they hit the shelves if the prices were good.

Jun 1st, 2004, 04:57 PM

This reply may be too late, but if so, hopefully you made a stop at the Tumi Outlet store. We stopped at the outlet store on Hilton Head last year and were pleased to see that in addition to the crazy colors (red, purple, and silver) they did carry quite a few pieces of the standard black, both in the nylon and leather. We have five pieces of Tumi luggage and we bought my husband a smaller briefcase at the outlet. The only price I really remember is was the standard 22" black rolling bag (nylon), for I believe about $100-$125 less than regular price. We plan to go back when we go to Savannah this year. By the way, we love Tumi and don't use anything else. The last time we sent my husband's rolling bag back in for service because of wear and tear, (he travels weekly) they offered to replace it for $125 which we thought was a great deal.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:14 AM
OliveOyl

Thanks dgarland. Wish we'd had time to get to that outlet, but we were going non-stop, and always in a direction away from Grapevine Mills. Now I'm determined to go to one, so maybe we need a trip to HH. A 2nd 22" is what I'm looking for--are these seconds?

Do you send yours back to the factory for repairs? I noticed on returning from this trip that the material used to bind the corners has been banged hard enough to break through to the nylon in a couple of places. It's cosmetic only, and only if you look hard, but I was thinking about getting it fixed.

Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:57 AM

There is also one in Kittery, Maine...sometimes they have great sales..They also sell Kiplinger.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:20 AM

Just wondering if these are products designed for outlets at a lesser quality.

I found Delsey bags at TJ Macks for 1/3 the costs of what they are normally sold for. Just a thought. Not sure that a Tumi bag is worth the cost. My last luggage came from TJ Mack's it was a no name carry on that I use ALL THE TIME and it lasted me a good 10 years before the wheels started to squeek. No life time guarantee but I only paid $40 dollars and it had some miles on it. The Delsey bags were $50 for a $210 bag and $110 for $289 bag. They are great bags.

I have looked at the Tumi bags and I don't get the draw. To each his own just thought I would tell you all about my finds at TJ Macks. Oh yes I get life time guarantee's with these too. The model I bought was only marketed in Canada and Europe as far as I can tell over the internet and it was last years model. They had it in black, I chose pearl gray.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:25 AM

I had Tumi and hated it. first of all, I don't think it holds up as well as any other luggage. I constantly had to have the seams re-sewed, screws tightened, and stolen luggage tags replaced. Those designer suitcases are a target. I had 2 out of 4 stolen. The other 2 are now sitting in storage. I use the Patagonia maxi duffel and the weekender. You can stuff them like crazy and they wear like iron.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:26 AM

TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Ross sell stuff that didn't sell at a more expensive store. It might be last season's style, but if you're not a slave to fashion go for it.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:50 AM

NC good to know I can check ross. These bags I bought were not even marketed in the US. I went looking for a tote that I passed up in store and luggage store owners in NYC were not familar with the model. Online I found the model in Canada and Europe. Just wanted to point out they were not picked over products but complete sets.

buggs wife I always like to hear what bags work for people thanks.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:39 PM

In response to your questions OliveOyl, the manager at the HH Tumi outlet assured us that the black pieces were not seconds and we couldn't find any sign of problems with any of them. They appeared to be first quality. We didn't ask about the rest of the merchandise though since we were only interested in the black. We did have the name of the manager at that store, she was extremely helpful, but I've lost it. The phone number is 843-837-1701. The outet is called Hilton Head Factory Stores and it's on Fording Island Rd.

We have sent the 22" bag in for cosmetic repairs as you've described several times. You just take it in to a luggage store that sells Tumi and they take care of it for you. My husband has traveled weekly for the past 10-12 years and he used the same 22" rolling bag for probably 8 years. We sent it two or three times over the years to have things like zippers replaced, and the edges such as you described repaired. The last time we sent it in because a wheel came off. That's when they called and offered to let us replace it for $125 because they said it couldn't be repaired. If you read the fine print in their warranty, they will not replace at no charge due to wear and tear, only due to factory defects, but they will keep it in good repair. Because it couldn't be repaired and it really was finally worn out after years of abuse we decided to take their offer. But, if you're looking for a 22" rolling bag be aware that the design changed slightly a year or two ago. The current 22" bag has a smaller interior than it used to. When they shipped us the new bag, the first time I packed it I realized that somehow the inside compartment was not quite as large as that of our old bag. We took it to the luggage store and spoke with the manager who called the company. I told them the bag wasn't the same size as the one they replaced. They admitted that they had redesigned the bag and the interior is smaller now than it was before. They came out with a new 22" expandable bag and I'm sure that's why they changed the size of the older 22" bag. It may not be a big deal to you, but just wanted you to be aware. My husband did mention last week that we're going to have to buy the expandable bag because the standard 22" version just isn't big enough now for his needs.

We do love the Tumi and feel that it is worth the investment because we use it so much.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:06 PM

dgarland, I suspect the airlines have scaled back what they will accept for carry on. I have noticed that several carry on's from different manufacturers provide less space. They all seem to be shorter but boxier.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:58 PM

I have a Tumi bag and it is a dream. The most durable bag I've owned (I tend to abuse luggage). Looking to add more pieces in the future. I can't afford to buy cheap luggage and throw it away after a year anymore--I'd rather invest in something that's going to hold up over the long haul, which is what the Tumi has done for me.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:13 PM

I have switched from Tumi to Pathfinder. I like the color of the top shelf line I selected and was lucky enough to find the very design I wanted at Marshalls.
I had to piece it together as I found the desired pieces at various Marshall's. I still love my Tumi travel accessories and my many Kipling bags/purses/wallets/etc... but the Pathfinder stuff is just plain tough and better looking too boot.
I travel so much I suppose I am just over the name, though Pathfinder has an excellent reputation it has not achieved the elite status that inflates the price artificially.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 04:18 AM
OliveOyl

Honestly, "the name" wasn't a factor at all when we decided to buy Tumi. Prior to that we'd 1st had Samsonite, then American Tourister. All got banged up badly, locks/latches broken off, scuffed and looked like the devil. They became an embarrassment for my DH when he was travelling for hotel meetings, so it was time for something new. Tumi had a great reputation for ruggedness...thus that became our choice. The first hint I got that it had sort of a la-ti-da reputation came when we were checking into some hotel and the bellman asked, "May I take your Tumi in for you". That's weird I thought...no one had ever said, "May I take your American Tourister in for you?" lol That aspect didn't/doesn't matter. What did matter was that it was durable and it certainly has been that. Most soft sides look pretty much alike--would you even know it was Tumi if it weren't for the luggage tags? (We just noticed on our last trip by the way that we've had one of them stolen as well.) We've resorted to tying something odd onto the handle so we can pick ours out on the carousel

They are very costly, no doubt about it, but we've had these for about 10 years now and aside from that banged up binding at the corner which you can't even see unless you look closely, it is as good today as it was the day we got it.

Thanks so much for the information on the "new" 22" dgarland. As the older model would just squeak by for one person, we'll definitely get the expandable for the 2nd one. We have a larger size expandable and I love that feature.

Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:58 PM

Sarah, I'm sure you're right about the acceptable sizes for carry-ons. I hadn't thought about it from that angle.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 04:41 PM

Here is the latest info on luggage and airlines..http://www.savewealth.com/travel/tips/carryon/
Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:16 PM
GoTravel

I can also chime in to sing the praises of Tumi. I do have a couple of peices, just got the weekender from Mother in law for Christmas.

After being a road warrior for the past five years, looking back it has really held up well.

My first 28 inch pullman, an American Tourister, lasted through about 10 roundtrip flights. My second, tore apart on the first trip, ballistic nylon and all.

You can tell how good luggage is how well it holds up to being checked on an airplane. My Tumi is great.

Now Hartman or Vitton would be luggage I would be afraid would be stolen.

Jun 4th, 2004, 08:00 AM

wow with the stories (2 out of 4 bags)of theft with Tumi, I would be concerned.
Jun 4th, 2004, 10:51 AM
GoTravel

After it goes through security, I wrap two inch wide duct tape around the middle and from top to bottom.

It is very obvious it is my luggage and even on the off chance it ended up in a different location from me, a theif would have to be pretty brave to take it.

Jun 6th, 2004, 01:28 PM

T.J.Maxx and More stores carry Tumi from time to time. I bought the large,black,suitcase for my mom plus the carry-on bags for less than half the retail price...just last year...A friend also bought the same black suitcase. They have the backpacks and sports style bags quite often. I bought my whole set of Kipling luggage at the regular T.J.Maxx store. The regular price tag on one suitcase was $248. and on the wheeled backpack...$178. I bought both of them for $49.99 each. My best friend also bought at least 8 pieces in different colors for $49.99 each. I buy luggage at T.J.Maxx. It's cheaper than at outlets. This is for the Los Angeles County area where there are at least 15 store locations.But T.J.Maxx is nationwide. Happy travels!
Jun 6th, 2004, 03:01 PM

Last year in Kittery we walked into Tumi to look around.. they have carry on pieces for $29.00, a special... I looked, my husband looked and couldn't believe how well they were put together (we bought three-one as a gift), but not until we went to use them did we realize they didn't hold much...Hope to use them next week for carry ons though... Now that I know TJ Maxx carries them when my 30 inches pieces go I'll check it out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO