Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Trying to recreate Hamura's lilikoi chiffon pie.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kaua'i Klique Alert.

PM is obsessed with trying to recreate Hamura's Saimin's lilkoi chiffon pie. There is nothing like it...literally. He's used lilikoi nectar and it is just not zingy enough. He's convinced he needs real lilikoi juice. We live in the S.F. Bay Area and can't find any locally. It is truly pathetic how far we go to try keep the aloha alive when we are away from the swamp-hole. WE REALLY NEED THIS PIE. Help.

-Bill
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 06:50 AM
Kal

I'll see what I can come up with in, sayyyyyyyy 55 more days!!!!

Something just can't be done and should be left alone...like getting "sourdough bread" on the East Coast or a "good bagel" on the Left Coast.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 09:01 AM

Lilikoi nectar isn't the juice?

I'm sure somewhere you can buy the stuff around here, but I'm thinking it's more likely to be at a gourmet/specialty foods shop and not at the local Safeway.

I'll keep an eye out. My daughter's school sells lilikoi jelly at Christmas time - since I have to stop by there for parent/teacher conferences tomorrow, I'll see if someone knows where they get the lilikoi from to make the jelly.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 09:13 AM

You need to find some fresh liliko`i. There are commercial passionfruit growers in the central valley and in San Diego. I used to find it at the central market in L.A. as well as in specialty stores and Mexican markets, where it is called granadilla. Marukai Asian Memerbship Markets had it, but I don't think they have stores up that way yet. Sometimes it would show up at farmer's markets.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks htgtm and chepar.

I bet there are farms out in our part of the central valley too. I'll check it out.

Apparently the nectar is only 25% real juice and that just won't cut it.

Kal,

You're probably right, but we can still TRY can't we?

55 days until what? Oh yes. 55 days unitl the holidays. 55 days until you buy me some liliko'i pie for the holidays. Right? Right? Right?

-Bill
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:27 AM
Kal

Be nice to me....do they ship?

I've never had a piece of their pie...too stuffed after the BIG bowl of saimin w/ teri-sticks.

Now HULA PIE....WOOO HOOOOOO
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

KAL!

You've never had the pie? Promise me that you'll get some this time. Only have three orders of fried won-tons this time and save some room. Did you know the fried won-tons aren't even on the "menu"?

I have a confession to make: I've never even been to Duke's! Is the Hula Pie really that good?

-bill
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:41 AM
Kal

I don't eat fried foods...my body's a temple...

Dukes and Keoki's serves it. (same chain?)
It is ONOliscious. I seldom eat the sweet stuff but I make exceptions for Hula Pie and Lapperts.

BUT.....make sure at least two people are working on it 'cuz it's big.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:27 PM

I looked up lilikoi recipes on Google and there are several. They seem to use the juice or nectar. Google it and take a look. Maybe if the flavor is not intense enough using the nectar you could boil it down to reduce it and intensify the flavor.

Kal, shame on you for not trying the pie. If you're too stuffed by a piece to go and have it later! Actually we buy a whole pie and take it back to our condo --oh yesss!!!!

I just made reservations for Feb, got into my favorite condo (was on the wait list) and got some airfare to boot! Now, I can't wait to get there!!!
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Well...we did it! We were able to get 100% lilikoi juice from Aunty Lilikoi on Kaua'i. She shipped it to us!

The pie turned out MUCH better with the juice instead of the nectar.

Onolicious!

-Bill
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 04:15 AM
iceeu2

LIB, I cannot believe you did not ast me this question. But, of course, Aunty Lilikoi Passion Fruit Juice direct! And, she has the recipe on the back of the bottle!

Now tell PM, if he wants a quick and easy lilikoi dessert.....use a graham cracker crust....Mix, 1 can Eagle Brand Milk, about 1/3 to 1/2 cup Aunty's stuff, and 8 oz. cool whip. Mix it up, put it in the crust and refrigerate. Of course, you can use real sweetened cream but cool whip is fast!

We talked with Laurie (I think that is her name) while we were in the store and she said that Hamura's is in the top 3 on the island for the best pie in town. I order pie as soon as I sit down at the counter...Eat mine first, then eat the real icee's after we slurp our saimin!

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Kal

...and yet ANOTHER trip to Kauai w/o a stop at Hamura's and a shot at lilikoi pie.

Went by 2x this year, once around 11:00 before lunch and then once around 2:45..both times JAMMED! Good for them...bad for The Kals.

Got turned on to the Garden Isle BBQ right down the steet by Rice/Kress. Good grub, Hamura's prices and a LARGE restaurant!