Trips outside of Niagara for scenery?

Jul 16th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Trips outside of Niagara for scenery?

Hi-
We have 9 days for vacation, and want to spend a couple of days in Niagara Falls. We love nature, hiking, water, pretty scenery.
Where else could we go?
We can drive outside of Niagara up to 5 hours.
Thanks,
Linda
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:00 AM

How about Niagara-on-the-Lake, a pretty, quaint town about 1/2 hour (?) north of NF on the Canadian side? The drive up there is nice too.

There is also the Finger Lakes region of NY state...great for scenery, though I can't recommend any specific towns, as I've only driven through it.
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:47 AM

I would definetly suggest the Finger lakes area. Ithaca,& Watkins Glen are the home of some great waterfalls, gorges and even better wineries. Search the Fingerlakes.org it's a pretty good site.
Jul 16th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will!
Linda
Jul 16th, 2003, 11:54 AM

I would recommend a day trip to Letchworth State Park south of Rochester(about 2 - 2.5 hours from NF). It's a scenic park that runs along the Genesee River gorge from Mount Morris to Castile and is sometimes referred to as the "Grand Canyon of the East." There is the Mt. Morris dam at the northern end, and 3 waterfalls and hiking trails at the southern end. You can check it out on the website for New York State Parks, www.nysparks.state.ny.us/next.html; then go to "State Parks" and "Letchworth State Park."

For an easy travel route from NF, take the Robert Mose Pkwy on the US side to I190 south, to I290 east, to I90 east (toward Albany) to exit 46 for I390 south (towards Corning). Get off at exit7 (Mt. Morris) and take Rt 63 to Rt 408 and watch for signs to park.

There are alternate routes that you can find on mapquest.
Jul 16th, 2003, 01:28 PM
LN

Niagara on the Lake (Lake Ontario on the Canadian side) is really a lovely place. There's a number of b & B's and theaters there. My favorite place was going around Lake Seneca and trying out a number of the wineries. We stayed in Geneva and ate at a Castle there (Belhurst Castle I believe) There's many wineries around the area and it was fun.
We also took in the Grand Canyon of New York and it's an interesting place too.
Jul 16th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Linda
Jul 16th, 2003, 05:06 PM

I second the recommendations for Niagara on the Lake and Letchworth State park. You might want to also think about spending a day or two in Buffalo, there is a great art exhibit at the Albright Knox as well as great architecture and restaurants in the city. Buffalo is one half hour from Niagara Falls.
Jul 16th, 2003, 05:15 PM

I agree with:
1. The Finger Lakes area
2. Letchworth State Park

I will add:
1. Chautauqua Lake and the surrounding wine country
2. The Chautauqua Institute grounds on Chautauqua Lake
3. Old Fort Niagara (10 minutes)(www.oldfortniagara.org)
4. The breakwall walk which begins at the foot of W. Ferry Street...it stretches along the Niagara River, under the Peace Bridge, and out into Lake Erie near the Buffalo skyline.
5. The 1,000 Islands

All of the above offer hiking, water, pretty scenery, and nature!!! Have fun.
Jul 16th, 2003, 06:38 PM

I agree with previous suggestions. I also suggest, Toronto, which is a two hour drive away, and is a great city.

Buffalo has a few historic attractions worth checking out, including the house where Theodore Roosevelt was sworn in, and also a Frank Lloyd Wright house, both convenient to the Anchor Bar, where the original hot wings were invented [though there are lots of places I like at least as much, if not more, that one is the original, and is just a block away from the house on Delaware [I believe] where President Roosevelt was sworn in.

You mention that you enjoy nature and hiking, so I strongly recommend Letchworth Park. I'd even consider staying a night in Glen Iris Inn, on the grounds, if it is available.

Lockport is another area nearby that is interesting, with a small museum displaying some original Erie Canal memorabilia.
Jul 16th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

You guys are great!
Thanks!
Linda
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:37 AM

Linda, I hope you'll resurrect this post after your trip and let us know how your trip was! Have fun.
Jul 17th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

I certainly will! All of you have been SO nice!
MANY thanks!
Linda
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Hey, where / what are the "1,000 Islands?"
Thanks,
Linda
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:09 PM

Well, most of the suggestions I gave you were for trips within 1-2 hours out of Buffalo (give or take). However, cuz you said you'd drive up to 5 hours out of Niagara I threw in The 1,000 Islands. Pull out your map (I'm honestly not trying to be a smart alec).....and look at Syracuse, then north to Watertown, and then north to Alexandria Bay (small town)...it's about a five hour drive. The Thousand Islands of New York is a wonderful area within the St. Lawrence Seaway that is dotted with small islands (some of them really small) with homes... and huge oceanliners that pass right by...and I'm sounding like I don't know what I'm talking about so check out this website: http://www.visit1000islands.com/visit-frameset.asp

Seriously...do a little homework on the area...a search right here on Fodors. It is truly unique.
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:18 PM

Oh, and let me please add a "hike" that I would not normally recommend because it isn't really a tourist destination...but based on your suggestions:

Devil's Hole State Park, which is just a few minutes north of Niagara Falls on the American side. There is a stairway that goes down into the gorge of the lower Niagara river. Once down there, there is a pathway (which can be quite muddy because of the overgrown trees and bushes) that traverses the river. It is unbelievably intense and raw....you are so close to the wildest whitewater rapids in the world. However, it is not intended for those who are out of shape. It is quite a hike back up to the top. If you are up to it, I have to say it is a very unique and wonderful way to view the rapids below Niagara Falls. It is an incredible experience to view the canyon from the bottom looking up! Again, I wouldn't suggest it to the average traveler.
Jul 18th, 2003, 05:38 AM

Just a comment on the 1000 Islands .... I've been there many times and find that this area (although nice) is very based on boating and water activities. There are a few towns on the waterway, i.e., Alexandria Bay and Clayton, that have shops & restaurants, but I find that unless you are engaging in boating and other water activities you really don't get an appreciation of the area and it doesn't seem that impressive from the land (i.e., worth a 5 hour drive). If you do have an opportunity to get out on the waterway, then it's great and you get an understanding of what "1000 Islands" means (the waterway is dotted with many, many islands and is very scenic from the water). However, it's really not the best choice from the other options you have for land-based activities, i.e., hiking. It's also quite a long drive from Niagara Falls.
Jul 21st, 2003, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, thanks, thanks!
linda
Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:22 AM

The locales already mentioned are great. You may also want to consider Allegheny State Park, about 1 hour 45 minutes south of Niagara Falls, near Salamanca, NY and Bradford, PA. We rented a heated, electric cabin in early May and had a great time.