Trip to Wash DC - some questions remain

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Wash DC - some questions remain

Here is my original thread http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35168005

We decided to drive to DC and stay at the Red Roof Inn - Alexandria (Huntington Stop on the Yellow line of the Metro). I am losing my argument with a friend of mine about using Priceline due to his history with it (not quite sure what his issues are). With this hotel being very economic, we have added a couple of nights and I have some issues with our itinerary now. Friend of mine broke his leg skiing over last weekend so we are not sure how mobile he will be in June. This will necessitate some transportation changes (mostly for touring, museums he will do some exhibits then let us go at our pace)

Sunday (getting there on Saturday sometime):
Probably do the Tourmobile all day tour including Arlington Cemetery.
Mainly on Sunday, I want to see the WW2 Memorial, Vietnam and Korean, Lincoln, Jefferson and FDB Memorials.

Any issues with using Tourmobile other than the waits between stops? That is my primary issue with it. Anything else to be concerned with. This just seems like the easiest way to move around, especially factoring in the broken leg.

Monday: Air & Space Museum
A nighttime tour of the Monuments. Any recommendations between the Monuments by moonlight Trolley Tour, the Grayline Tour or the Onboard DC Nightlights Tour? I am leaning towards the Onboard Tour (http://www.trustedtours.com/store/On...Tour-C328.aspx) but would like feedback.

Tuesday: Washington Zoo
Red Sox @ Nationals Game

Wednesday: White House (just the Visitors Center)
US Capital Tour
Washington Monument
Red Sox @ Nationals Game

Thursday: Old Post Office Tower
National Archives
Holocaust Museum
Red Sox @ Nats game

Friday: Museum of American History
Possibly the Natural History Museum

Saturday: Drive Home

How inconvenient will it be staying out in Alexandria? Based on the metro site, its a 1/2 hr ride between it and the Smithsonian stop. We will be driving to the Metro every morning as its a mile from the hotel (barring a shuttle). The nights we are going to the Nationals games, we will probably come back to the hotel and get my car and drive to a closer stop as I generally end up seeing very long games that will end after the Metro Service ends. We can taxi back to a closer station but don't want an expensive cab ride each night.

Any other recommendations / Changes? I have tried to space everything out as much as possible to get some downtime in there but its definitely tight. We may end up dropping 1 of the games but want to plan around all 3 for now.

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 08:51 AM

I'd try to get a hotel that was more convenient to a metro stop. I've stayed in Arlington before and taken the metro to a Nats game and it's really not that far. The key is getting a hotel that's within walking distance of a stop. Old Town Alexandria is a nice area but I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Alexandria for convenience purposes
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Wyatt, I am definitely going to keep trying but at $100 per night and free parking, its going to be tough and with my friend's leg, it may prove that there is no hotel close enough to a Metro Stop.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 09:04 AM

We stay at the Embassy Suites in Alexandria . . literally across the street from the metro. Not sure you can do it for $100 per nite however.

Is he using a wheelchair or crutches?
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 09:16 AM

If the Nats game runs late, Metro stays open to accommodate the crowds. You won't be left stranded.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Crutches. Its still 5 months away so mobility may not be an issue, but its a crapshoot at this point. I just found a room on quikbook at the Days Inn Connecticut Avenue for the same price. Its 2 blocks from a Metro Station. Probably a lot more convenient.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 09:26 AM

tc, when is this trip? My daughter broke her leg last May and had surgery -- it was bad, she was laid up (no walking on it or even putting it down on the floor) for 8 weeks, after which she walked with a walker, then crutches, then a cane. Even so, we left for Egypt at the end of the 12th week following surgery and she was fine. By then, she was just wearing a soft brace. She wasn't going out for a jog, but sightseeing/walking was fine (slow, but fine).
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Its at the end of June.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Your friend will be outrunning you by then
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Hopefully - I was the one hobbling on vacation last year with a sprained knee. I am leaning towards the Days Inn given its location to the Metro.

MikeT, the Metro stays open regardless how late the game runs? I was at Fenway the night the T stopped running and nobody left so I am leary about depending on it.

How does my itinerary look?
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 09:52 AM

If your friend is having any problems walking, you might reconsider the zoo. It's all down hill from Connecticut Ave. (where the metro stops are) and then all back uphill to return. It's a beautiful zoo, but can be a workout. And, like all of the Smithsonian institutions, it is free, so if you want to go for just the pandas, no problem.
And you'll enjoy the National's park -- the fish and shrimp tacos behind left field -- oooh! (And your Red Sox'll win, I'll bet!)
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Agreed about the zoo. Its a must for 2 of us, him and another 1 are interested enough to want to go. If he isn't mobile enough, we may split up. Didn't I see a post on here with a way to have it downhill from the Zoo to a different Metro stop?

Sox better win those 3 games. I have been to 5 straight losses by the Sox so its time for a change. I have been craving Fish Tacos for a while. Thanks for mentioning them...How is the stadium overall?
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 10:42 AM

"Didn't I see a post on here with a way to have it downhill from the Zoo to a different Metro stop?"

Downhill from the Zoo leads you to the Adams Morgan/National Zoo metro stop
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 10:45 AM

That Days Inn is a good location. A kind of dull neighborhood, but still convenient. If the game runs late, you can easily get a cab to it.

I think they guarantee the Metro will stay open. Nats Stadium was built with almost no parking, based on the assumption that people would use mass transit to get there. It would be a PR nightmare for the game to extend to 1am, but no subways to get people home.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Been at Fenway for the no trains situation... And it was against the Yankees. beginning of the 5 game sweep in 06.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 10:52 AM

The official stop for the Zoo is called "Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan" and it's downhill from the zoo. The next stop on the red line, Cleveland Park, is uphill from the zoo and about the same walking distance.

So when you arrive, get off at the Cleveland Park stop and then when you leave, go downhill on Connecticut Ave to the Woodley Park station.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Just checked the price difference between the Red Roof in Alexandria and the Days Inn Conn. Ave, I have to figure out if its worth $150 apiece ($300 per room) more to stay downtown when you factor in parking at the Days Inn and the difference in taxes.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM

We went to the Nationals Park last summer. I was amazed at the smoothness of the Metro after the game. As others mentioned, they do keep things going until the crowds are dispersed and it really didn't take that long, despite all the people. The way the Metro is designed, it leads right up to the entrance of the park in left-center field. I wouldn't dream of taking any other transportation to the game. It was great. You might already be aware, but you might want to get tickets ahead of time for the memorials. Have a great trip!

Are you still thinking of coming to Denver for a Rockies game this summer?
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

My Denver trip is on hold until next year due to cost concerns.

I'm debating maybe shortening the trip by a night and switching the zoo with the American History museum day so that once we leave the zoo, we drive home. Make for a long day but would save some money.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd also recommend going with the Days Inn. I doubt the Red Roof Inn has a shuttle to the metro. The Huntington station is a commuter lot and, if it's like the others, fills up very quickly during the week.

The other hotel is a bit more money but your time is worth something and you're going to see some of your savings eaten up in cab fares if you stay in Alexandria.

Can you make the reservation now and switch later if something better comes along?

Also, best time to visit the zoo is early in the morning, especially in the summer. The buildings don't open until 10 am but the grounds are open at 6 or 7 am.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -