Search

Trip to San Francisco and beyond

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to San Francisco and beyond

Hello,

I'm in the process of planning a trip to San Francisco in mid-August (we have 2 boys ages 11 and 9).

We'll have four full days (not counting a partial day when we arrive and leave). I was thinking of spending maybe two days in the city and two days "outside" the city.

From what I have been reading it looks like booking anything at Yosemite would be a long shot at this late date....I was wondering about going north towards the Redwood Forest NP. Is lodging easier to come by out there versus Yosemite? I'm also wondering if an extra day might be needed since it looks to be about 5 hours or so..

Thanks for any all advice!
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:31 AM

With only 4 full days, I wouldn't go that far north just to see Redwoods & countryside. There is plenty you can see much closer to The City - and you can drive along the coast also. You can plan a very nice daytrip (or 1 night overnight) just in Marin & southern Sonoma Counties. You can cross the GG bridge, head over through Mill Valley to Muir Woods, then a beautiful drive to Muir Beach, Stinson Beach, Pt Reyes Natl. Seashore, then along the Russian River, Sonoma wine country, very enjoyable town of Healdsburg, then back to SF.

I have a driving itinerary for this area that I've posted several times. Here is the Day 1 portion of it. I've done this several times in a less-than-one-day trip without a stop in Muir Woods or any wineries. For a one-day trip, get to Muir Woods (preferably on a week-day) as soon as it opens and stop in Sausalito on the way back for dinner - great views of the City at night if it's not foggy. BTW, August is our foggiest month .

Day 1
Head north across the Golden Gate Bridge. Just past the bridge, take the Alexander Av. exit towards Sausalito. When you get to the stop at the end of the freeway off ramp, turn left & go under Hwy 101. Continue on like you are going back across the bridge to SF, but take the road to the right that goes up-hill, just before actually getting on 101. There will be a sign that says you are entering the Golden Gate National Recreational area. Continue up on this road. You will see what is (in my opinion) the best views of San Francisco – The GG Bridge in the foreground & The City behind it.. This area was formerly a military area that is still laced with bunkers, gun turrets, underground tunnels etc. It was opened up in the ‘70s. The views of The City, the Bridge, and the Golden Gate are breathtaking. You can see all the way down the San Mateo Coast from up here. Go all the way to the top and you hit a much smaller one-way road. On the way up, get out & enjoy the sights. The kids will love the bunkers & gun turrets. At the top where the main road ends, there is the largest gun turret, where you can climb up to for an almost 360 degree view. This view is best in the evening when the sun is in a better position to light up the bridge & highlight downtown. If you plan to pass this way again later in the day, skip this venue now & do it later. If there isn’t any fog, perhaps do it now because you never know when the fog will roll in & make viewing impossible.

Return the way you came up to this area. When you get to the junction just past the tunnel under 101, head straight to Sausalito. Just follow your nose (bearing right whenever possible), until you end up on Bridgeway – the main road along the bay in Sausalito. Drive along Bridgeway, enjoying the views back to the City. Sausalito has gotten a little tacky in the last few decades with all it’s mediocre art shops & cheep souvenir stands, but the setting is lovely & there’s some nice architecture. Continue North on Bridgeway until it joins 101 North again (towards San Rafael).

Take the Blithdale exit off 101 to Mill Valley. M.A.S.H. fans will recognize this place as the hometown of B.J. Hunnicut. Keep following Blithdale as it worms around a little in some not-so-picturesque areas before it reaches the center of Mill Valley (you’ll know when you get there). Turn left & park the car where you can. Walk around the area – there are some interesting shops. There’s kind of a central square in town (a good place for a latte if you’re ready for one). The south-west side of the square is Miller Ave. When you’re finished browsing, take Miller Ave. South. Shortly after the double road section of Miller Ave ends, take a right on Shoreline Highway – this is also the famous Ca Highway #1. Follow this to Muir Beach & Stinson Beach. This is a pretty drive. After a couple of miles past the Miller/Shoreline junction, there is a turnoff to Panoramic Hwy and the Muir Woods redwood grove. If you want to visit Muir Woods, do so but remember that it gets overwhelmed with day trippers from SF in the summer.

Continue on Shoreline (Hwy #1) past Muir Beach & on to Stinson Beach. There are some nice views of the ocean along this route. There’s a lookout over Muir Beach.

Stay on Hwy #1 past Stinson Beach. You will start to see a large land mass to your left (ocean side) This is Point Reyes National Seashore, where you could spend several days exploring the wildlife & natural beauty of this area. Drake’s Bay, on the west side of Pt Reyes, is where this Northern California area was first discovered – long before San Francisco Bay was discovered by Spanish explorers. Hwy #1 will go past a long lagoon (Tomales Bay). Just past the lagoon, Hwy #1 will turn inland.

Continue on Hwy 1 past Valley Ford. When it intersects the Bodega Highway, turn right (inland/east) & go to Bodega. This is where Alfred Hitchcock filmed several scenes from “the Birds”, including the schoolhouse scene.

If you are touring in the summer, there is a very good chance that you will be inundated by fog & not much of the coastline will be visible. If you have had enough fog, continue east on the Bodega Highway to Sebastopol. This is actually a nice drive (at the beginning). At Sebastopol, head north on #116 toward the Russian River. Just before Forestville, stop at Kozlowski Farms (on your left) if you want to pick up a sandwich. They have a large selection of jams, jellies, vinegar & other gourmet delights. Continue on #116 until it hits the Russian River at Guerneville (somewhat of an interesting town). Turn right & proceed east along the Russian River on River Road. I will continue to describe the remaining drive in the Wine Country section.

Back at Bodega, if the fog isn’t so bad & you want to see some more coast, stay on Hwy #1 to Bodega Bay. Continue north on #1 until it reaches Jenner. At Jenner, you can go north on #1 to Fort Ross to tour an early Russian fur trading fort – it is quite interesting. After visiting Fort Ross, return to Jenner & head east along the Russian River to Guerneville.

Wine Country
From Guerneville, head east along River Road. Stay on River Road as it crosses over the Russian River just past Hacienda – which will still be River Road. About 4 miles past crossing over the river, turn left on Wohler Road. You will start to see some vineyards now & there are some cute B&Bs close by. Stay on Wohler Rd as it crosses the river (again) on a very narrow 1 way bridge. Just past the bridge, turn right on to Westside Rd towards Healdsburg. You will see lots of vineyards on the way to Healdsburg.

You are now in the Sonoma County Wine growing area. In contrast to it’s more famous neighbor to the east (Napa), you will find the Sonoma wineries more inviting & less hectic – I actually like them better. In the Napa Valley, there are very few wineries where you can take a picnic lunch & spread out on the lawn. In Sonoma, they seem to go out of their way to invite you to use their facilities. On Westside Road, stop at Rochioli (one of the best Chards in Calif), Hop Kiln to see an interesting former kiln turned into a winery, and perhaps Armida, or Mill Creek. Just past Mill Creek winery, Westside Road will turn right (east) to head into Healdsburg just in front of the Madrona Manor. Turn left into the Madrona Manor Hotel, park the car & explore the lovely gardens & the exterior of this fantastic Victorian manor house. Go inside & poke your nose into some of the common rooms & pick up a brochure for your next visit to this area. It has a lovely dining room with excellent cuisine. It’s a popular wedding spot. Exit Madrona Manor and turn left and head north on West Dry Creek Road (not straight to Healdsburg).

You are now in the Dry Creek appellation of Sonoma County & it’s my favorite area in the wine country. Continue north on West Dry Creek Road (there’s a Dry Creek Rd which you will follow later). Stop at Lambert Bridge winery – this is one of the wineries that “invites” you to picnic on their lawn (they have lots of picnic tables). Just past Lambert Bridge winery, turn right on Lambert Bridge Rd & proceed a couple 100 yds to Pezzi King Winery. Stop & explore this winery too (great Zins). Return to West Dry Creek Rd & head north again. Continue on this road until you see a sign for Preston Vineyards. This is another winery that “invites” you to picnic. It has very pretty grounds – explore the outside bread oven, boules court, vegetable garden, flowers, and cats. The tasting room is quite nice – my wife likes their Rose wine. Return to West Dry Creek Road & continue north until the road ends. This is a pretty drive – would you like to own one of the houses near this dead-end? Turn around & head south. Turn left on Yoakim Road & then turn left (north) where it dead ends at Dry Creek Road. Proceed north on Dry Creek Rd & stop at Ferrari-Carano winery. This is the most "extravagant" winery in this area – it received a lot of criticism from locals (we know a few) when it was built. However, it is quite impressive. It has lovely gardens, a large “Tuscan” type villa, and a pretty tasting room (good Sauvignon Blanc). Exit Ferrari Carano & turn right (south) on Dry Creek Road towards Healdsburg. This is another pretty drive.

Healdsburg is our favorite town in the wine country – including anything in Napa. When you go under the freeway (on Dry Creek Rd) turn right when you hit Healdsburg Blvd & continue south until you see the town square – it’s obvious. Park the car & get out & explore. Tour the square & several blocks north & south of the square on Healdsburg Ave. There is a produce market Saturday morning west of the big hotel. This is a wonderful town to spend the night in. There is a new (overdone, in my opinion) large hotel (expensive) on the west side of the square – I think it’s called Healdsburg Hotel or something like that. There is also a B&B on the south side of the square & there are other B&Bs scattered throughout town. For dining in Healdsburg, we like Ravenous, Bistro Ralph, and Charcuterie which are all very popular with the locals. We also like Manzanita. Madrona Manor is less than 5 mins away, by car.

Stu Dudley

Old May 5th, 2008, 10:27 AM

I agree with Stu - I wouldn't head all the way up to Redwoods NP with the short time you have. There is a ton to see within a couple hours of SF.

Ideas to the north have been pretty well covered. There is a lot to see to the south as well.

You've got the Santa Cruz mountains - good hiking, nice redwood forests (Big Basin and Henry Cowell state parks), Roaring Camp, which is an old logging camp turned into an attraction where you can take a ride on a narrow gage steam train through the redwoods.

Santa Cruz itself has the Boardwalk (amusement park right on the beach), places to watch some pretty good surfing when the waves are right, an interesting downtown, Capitola Village which has a nice beach with pretty calm waves and a cute area with shops and restaurants.

Further south is Monterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel. There is the aquarium there, which is really good, you can take a boat ride out on the bay, in Pacific Grove there are some neat tide pools. Just south of Carmel is Point Lobos state park, which has some fabulous coastline and neat trails.

San Juan Bautista is an interesting town for California history - has a mission and a rebuilt/restored town square, set out in an agricultural area.
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:33 AM

Thinking of what your boys might like, I would suggest a Giant's baseball game, and a trip to Alcatraz. The boat ride is fun, and there is a combination trip to Angel's Island where you can rent bicycles (I've never done this myself, though).

Some other suggestions are the Exploratorium, the paddle boats at Stowe Lake, the Pirate Store in the Mission http://www.826valencia.org/store/ , Mel's Diner, Musée Mechanique, North Beach and Chinatown.
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:42 AM

To add to kailani's list of suggestions of things to do in San Francisco itself:

There's the Maritime Museum's Hyde Pier at Fisherman
s Wharf. Boys would especially like going on those ships and boats that are docked there. Across the street, on the ground floor of the Argonaut Hotel is a display area with some interesting things displayed. The main museum is closed for repairs, but the rest of the Maritime Museum is still interesting for a visit.

There'll be plenty to do around San Francisco without having to drive out of town.

For beach, San Francisco itself has a beautiful beach area, miles long, right on the shores of the Pacific Ocean.