Search

Trip to Providence, RI

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2010, 10:06 AM
mxm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Providence, RI

We wil be travelling to Providence, RI over the memorial day weekend. We have 3 days there and here's a rough plan. Also, we will be travelling with 2 children, ages 1 and 5
Take a day and drive down to Newport. Visit the Breakers. Spend some time at the Cliff Walk. With 2 children, we plan to visit only 1 mansion since this is not something that will interest them. IS Breakers the best choice?
Any suggestions for cruise boat tours- short ones to get out on the water?
Also lunch place suggestions that are child friendly? How about Brick Alley? or the Sambar?

Spend a day driving down route 77. Any suggstions for lunch places on the way?

Spend a 3rd day either in Providence(maybe visit the green animals topiary garden and the Brown university area)
or another option is to visit Block Island.
Any suggestions? Also need restaurant suggestons in Providence which will be kid friendly.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:58 AM

Am thinking The Breakers is the Newport mansion to visit if you only choose one, though some may argue in favor of Marble House and I wouldn't disagree if they do. If memory serves, the Topiary Garden is actually in the next town over from Newport, and one could see both in one day with ease if you're driving. As far as the Cliff Walk is concerned -- it's indeed well worth doing, though note that the lower third or so of it is very primitively maintained and not at all a good choice for those with mobility problems or strollers or folks who turn their ankles really easily. Brick Alley Pub is fine for reasonably priced family dining in Newport, though it may be crowded.

A good option for kids in Providence is the Roger Williams Zoo. You'll find plenty of places to eat around Brown University, including Antonio's Pizza (lots of different kinds of slices). Also consider a visit to Federal Hill for Italian restaurants and food stores.
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:10 PM
mxm
Original Poster

Thank you foor your response. We will try to do the Cliffwalk as much as we can. When the going gets tough, we will have to stop(unlike the popular phrase ...'...the tough get going'.)
Also, I just checked that they have added a showing of the waterFire over the Memorial Day weekend - so thta is something we would like to do. What would be a good access point and a place to park to see the WaterFire?
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:35 PM
yk

Since your kids are so young, I don't think it makes a difference which mansion you go to. In fact, I was going to suggest Green Animals Topiary Gardens... I think that will be more memorable to them than the stuffy mansions! http://tickets.newportmansions.org/mansion.aspx?id=1003
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:50 PM

Go fly kite. no really!

http://miniatures.kitingusa.com/loc/bretton_point.pdf
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:33 PM
lvk

I think the Breakers is the best choice, but agree that 1 and 5 year-olds might not appreciate it.

Fort Adams is pretty interesting for kids. (cool tunnels and fewer antiques to bump into ) A trip on the water ferry might be fun too: http://www.fortadams.org/tours.htm

Kite flying at Brenton Point is a classic Newport activity.

Along Rte. 77 - Of course the kids would enjoy a stop at Gray's Ice Cream. Be prepared for a long wait on Memorial Day weekend. Just off 77 in the Little Compton Common is a little diner called "Commons Lunch", which could be worth a stop. The Coop Cafe at Sakonnet Vineyards is also an option: www.sakonnetwine.com/coop_menu.cfm There are outdoor tables a grassy area where the kids can run around a little.
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 09:14 AM
mxm
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. The trip was great fun.
We did go kite flying. In fact the views on Ocean Ave were out of the world! And my older one had great fun trying to fly the kite - it made his day! And all of ours! We did Gray's Icecream store and the cafe at Sakonnet Vineyards too.
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 11:19 AM
lvk

Thanks for reporting back. Glad you had fun!