trip to Portland area

Apr 27th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

trip to Portland area

My husband and I are planning to visit Portland area at the end of June. I need your suggestions, advice to help me to finalize my itinerary. We plan to spend two nights on the Oregon coast, then stay 5 nights in Portland, do some sight-seeing in the city and make some day trips to the mountain. But, Would a day trip to MT. HOOD AND COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE, MOUNT ST. HELENS(of couse, not on the same day) be enough to cover these two places? If so, should we take gray line tour to go to these places or drive by ourselves. Has anyone been to these two grayline tours? http://www.etix.com/travel/servlet/o...anchise_id=127

And, any suggestion on some good wineries?

Iíve checked Stephanie Inn and other Inns in cannon Beach and the rates are way too high at that time (around $299). I think they are overpriced because they look pretty ordinary when I check those propertiesí web site. Any recommendation on some good B&B in the coast area?
Apr 27th, 2005, 01:19 PM
mms

The two days trips sound good. If you plan on any hiking then you may want a bit more time. I would take a car instead of a tour. There are so many places at each that we enjoy stopping at and I would not want to be on someone elses schedule.

The wineries are SW of Portland, along 99W mostly from Newberg down towards Salem. Be very careful when driving between them as the police patrol quite heavily.

We usually stay at the Surfsand Resort in Cannon Beach. It is a sister property of The Stephanie Inn, but more casual.
Apr 27th, 2005, 01:50 PM

You might try this place in Cannon Beach: http://www.schoonerscove.com/rates.html. It's got a great location on the beach in the heart of town. If that doesn't work for you, Google for Cannon Beach lodging/accommodations. Unlike Seaside, I can't think of a place in Cannon Beach that I absolutely would not stay in.

Seems there's a new winery opening every week around here. Compared to Napa & Sonoma, they're all small, and some taste only by appointment. As mms wrote, most are not too far off of 99W, southwest of the city.

Cuneo is a recent favorite of mine, located in Carlton. Carlton Winemaker's Studio is next door; a co-op of several small wineries sharing the same facility. There are some decent bottles here too. But, the thing about Cuneo is that they're making some great wines that aren't pinot noir. Eyrie, Adelsheim, David Hill, and Willakenzie are other favorites. Brickhouse would be great if you can get an appointment.

Hmmm... I've gotten thirsty all of a sudden. Happy planning.
Apr 27th, 2005, 02:58 PM

I'll second Beachbum's recommendation of Cuneo in Carlton - fantastic wines! I'm also a fan of Solena wines, which, I believe, was started by Laurent Montelieu who is associated with Willakenzie Estates. My first Solena wine was back in 2002 and I've loved them ever since! IF I remember correctly, they're not far from the Cuneo winery.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Tracey
Apr 28th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, your input are very helpful. Originally, I planned to stay two nights in Cannon Beach but after studying the coast map, I probably have to stay only one night in Cannon Beach, another night in Lincoln City or Newport (I hate to do hotel hopping on daily basis) since I want to go all the way down to the Lincoln City/Newport, from there return to Portland via highway 18 to highway 99 through those wineries.

So here is my itinerary:
day 1: arrive in PDX at noon, drive to Cannon Beach, and visit Seaside and Astoria if possible. Stay overnight in Cannon Beach

day 2: go down to south to Tillamook, three capes scenic drive, Lincoln City, Newport? Yachats? Overnight in one of these places?

day 3: wrap up coast tour, visit some wineries on the way back to Portland, stay the rest of 5 nights in Portland

day 4: day trip to MOUNT ST.

day 5: day trip to HELENSCOLUMBIA RIVER GORGE

day 6, 7, 8: Portland, see city sights, fly home from PDX on day 8 evening.

My questions are:
1. Should I just stay two-night in Cannon Beach and focus in that area this time?
2. Since I don't want to spend too much time on the road, I'm wondering whether Newport, Yachats should be on my list this time. Any spectacular scenic spots in Lincoln City, Newport, Yachats area which shouldn't be missed?
Apr 28th, 2005, 01:48 AM

Hi, songlf99!

Stop to see Multnomah Falls on your way to/from the Columbia River Gorge! It's right off the freeway.
Apr 28th, 2005, 02:40 AM

I have lots of good ideas for you.

First of all, DO drive the Oregon Coast, and I would go as far south as Yachats (more if you can find the time). You could easily sacrifice one of your days in Portland for it.

Portland is a nice city, get a walking tour brochure from Powell's Bookstore and find all the parks and fountains.

If you choose to stay a night in Lincoln City, we LOVED Odysius Hotel there, very personal touch, little amenities, breakfast in bed...nice, and not TOO pricey.

For a REALLY fun afternoon, go crabbing at a place called the JETTY in Netarts, between Seaside and Lincoln City. They rent you the little motor boat, the crab pots, give you all the instructions and encouragement you need, bait, etc. Very friendly folks. Don't forget your sunscreen and don't bother the Seals and sealions across from the dock on the opposite side of the bay.

Feel free to email me if you have questions.

I'd like to put a plug in for answers to my questions about Savannah if anyone has been there....

Mike (Salem Oregon)
Apr 28th, 2005, 08:27 AM

I'm inclined to agree with Mike; spend another night at the coast. You don't say how you're arriving, but assuming it's by air (and on time), you won't arrive at the coast until around 3:00pm - not much time to see Astoria, Seaside, and Cannon Beach (Unless you've something specific in mind, I would pass on Astoria and Seaside. Seaside is a kitschy, commercial beach town, and Astoria is an old fishing and Columbia River port town).

Neither Lincoln City or Newport are spectacularly scenic, but there are some nice spots between and near them. One of my favorites is Cascade Head, north of Lincoln City, but it takes a short hike to get there. Maybe the most photographed place on the coast is Haceta Head lighthouse, but that's even south of Yachats, almost to Florence.

In rethinking this, you could spend two nights in Cannon Beach. After night two, do the drive to Tillamook, take the Three Capes scenic loop, stop at Tillamook Cheese for ice cream, then head back to Portland on highway 6(?). Winery visits can easily be done as a day trip from Portland.
Apr 28th, 2005, 12:59 PM

Two nights in Cannon Beach would be very nice. I wouldn't try to do Seaside and Astoria if you're only staying one night there. With Ecola State Park, Indian Beach, the shops,etc. there is enought to keep you busy enought right in CB.

If you stay two nights and you're feeling adventurous, go to Seaside and Astoria. Walk the prom in Seaside, have a nice lunch at Corpeny's or Norma's Ocean Diner and maybe visit the small but interesting aquarium on the prom. There are also some outlets there in Seaside you love to shop and a nice little wine tasting place there, The Wine Haus that we like.

The drive into Astoria is nice, you may want to check out Fort Stevens State Park where you can see the wreck of the Peter Iredale there and Coffenbury Lake is pretty.

In Astoria, there's plenty to keep you busy for an afternoon or even a full day. Fort Clatsop, the Maritime Museum, the Astor Column. There's a cool little trolley car that rides along the waterfront that we like to ride. Many good seafood places in Astoria, also. If you're there on a Sunday you must visit the Sunday Market that runs along 12th Street, right in front of the Hotel Elliott. www.oldoregon.com is a nice website for Astoria. Have a great trip! ***kim***
Apr 28th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your great suggestions! I appreciate it. I've heard and read the wonderful things about the scenic Oregon coast. Among north, central and south coast, which on is the best? Is it similar to CA coast, e.g., 17-mile drive between Monterey and Pebble beach, or Lo Jolla shore?
Apr 28th, 2005, 05:04 PM

In general, what you see of the southern Oregon coast is more rugged, with smaller beaches, and rocky cliffs. The northern coast has more long, wide, sandy beaches, several of which have large, dramatic rock formations near the shore. Central coast is kind of a transition between the two. If I had to choose, I'd say the central/southern coast is most similar to 17-mile drive. Never been to La Jolla.
Apr 28th, 2005, 05:12 PM

Judging by the small amount of coastline that we saw last fall, No I do not think it similar to La Jolla.
Apr 28th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response! I intend to stay 3 nights (two nights at the ocean lodge in CB, one night in Newport/Lincoln City)on the coast but then I only have 2 whole days left for the portland,would that be enough to cover most of interesting spots there?

By the way, is the ocean lodge pretty good? I've picked it based on those nice pictures posted its web site and some reviews posted on tripadvisor.com

Is street parking safe in the area of Marriott Portland City Center?
Apr 28th, 2005, 09:56 PM

If you do a search on Ocean Lodge you might find a couple reviews on this forum. I've not stayed there, but judging by what I've seen... well, let's just say that I envy you!

Two days should be fine for Portland. There are the Japanese and Chinese Gardens, and the Washington Park rose gardens, but most of the rest is strolling, shopping, gallery cruising. If you're here on a weekend, include Saturday Market. I assume wineries are on the itinerary between Lincoln City and Portland? They close between 4:00 and 5:00 usually, so plan accordingly.

Streetside parking is safe all over Portland. But most of it is metered, and it's often difficult to find. You should find an overnight garage that charges a lot less than the Marriott would ding you for.
Apr 29th, 2005, 09:22 AM

I would say the northern coast is a bit like the Carmel Highland's area more than La Jolla. The northern coast is my favorite part of the OR Coast. Lots to see and do.

I haven't stayed at the Ocean Lodge since we have a beach cottage in Seaside, but have passed by the place many times. I think you will have a great time there. As previously mentioned, the Chinese Classical Gardens are very pretty, stop for a cup of tea in the tea house there. We also enjoyed a tour of the Pittock Mansion where you can walk around the property and take in the gorgeous views from the top of the hill. ***kim***
Apr 29th, 2005, 09:25 AM

Here's a website for those interested in learning more about the Pittock Mansion: www.pittockmansion.org Enjoy! ***kim***
Apr 29th, 2005, 12:14 PM

I am looking forward to seeing the Pittock Mansion myself, ever since mms sent me a fab photo of herself with her children there, looking at that wonderful view!
Just think, It will be my Hometown soon
Apr 29th, 2005, 01:33 PM
mms

If you like to hike at all, start at the Vietnam Memorial near the Zoo and hike up to Pittock Mansion. Very pretty and much more fun than driving up to it.
Apr 29th, 2005, 03:27 PM

I plan to hike up there. Everyone in Portland seems so healthy and outdoorsy I will make Pup and the Yankee start hiking too lol.
Apr 29th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

You guys are just amazing! This is the first time I posted message in this forum and I didn't expect to get so many great responses. Again, I really appreciate it. I heard that there is SAFEWAY WATERFRONT BLUES FESTIVAL during the July 4th weekend. How exciting!!!

Well, I just bought the air ticket, booked all the hotels, and I really look forward to this coming Portland trip (6/29-7/5).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO