Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Trip to Phoenix, issidetrip to Tucson worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Joanie

I will be visiting a friend in Phoenix in early May. We are planning to go up to Sedona for a weekend, but I was thinking about maybe going to Tucson for a couple of days. Is there anything in Tucson that I can't find in Phoenix that would make the trip worthwhile? The friend that I am visiting was not able to get off from work the whole time I am there, so I guess that I have a choice of this or just staying aroun the Phoenix area.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 11:20 AM
scott

Never been to Tuscon, but I'd highly recommend hitting Scottsdale, which is near Phoenix.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 03:17 PM
traveler

Tucson has many unique sites such as the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, which is not a museum, it's actually a great zoo showing the full spectrum of Sonoran Desert life in very natural settings. There's Sabino Canyon with great scenery and trails to walk, plus a stream. There is Saguaro National Park, an east and west one, which is amazing.. I'd recommend driving the West one, it's like driving through a cactus forest. There's Mission San Xavier del Bac, a beautiful church serving the San Xavier Indian Reservation--you can buy yummy fry bread across from it. There's lots more, it's a nice contrast from Phoenix, really, it's quite different. For more info, there's www. VisitTucson.org.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:46 AM
fran

I second the opinion about the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson. It is fantastic. I took a friend from NYC there two years ago and she is still raving about how it was the best part of her trip.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:52 AM
Howard

We found the Tucson area much more interesting than Phoenix. Another vote for the desert museum there. Also, Sabino Canyon is a must-see, especially in the spring.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:53 AM
yup

Traveler has pretty much hit the nail on the head with his (her?) recommendations about Tucson. As for the city itself, there's not much there that's worth going out of your way for. But go and take in the Desert Museum, Saguaro,etc. Also, just north of Tucson, right off the interstate, there's an airplane museum that has the old Air Force One and some other interesting exhibits, if you're in to that sort of thing.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:30 AM
steve

Did this last week when on spring break.

Drive to Bisbee - get there by 9:00am and take the copper queen underground mine tour. Walk around bisbee

Drive to Tombstone. Look around, take a horsedrawn stage ride

Drive west thru sonoita, patagonia. (stop in Nogales if you want to go into Mexico)

Drive up I-19. Stop at Tumacacori Nat'l Monument. Closer to Tucson, stop at San Xavier del bac Mission Church

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:55 AM
katherine

I also concur with the other travelers-The Saguaro National park is wonderful as is the Desert Museum. 2 -3 days on your own will allow you to see these attractions-Tumacacori and the old mission ruins are fantastic. There is a great Spice company near by where you can buy all sorts of spices and chilis etc and gits that's a lot of fun. My favorite place to stay is a wonder ful b& B in Tucson called Casa de Tierra- in the midst of the desert- breathtaking and amazing-and close to the desert museum and Saguaro Nat Park. Also a good place to stay a few nites if you are a single female traveler- the owners are very nice.