Trip to Colorado June 2018

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, my husband and I are planning a trip for our 5th anniversary to Colorado. We will be driving from Chattanooga TN and plan to arrive early evening in Denver on June 8th (our anniversary). So far I'm thinking one night in Denver then traveling on to Estes Park or maybe Grand Lake via Trail Ridge Road. We would like to maybe do some beginning to moderate hiking (Bowen Gulch trail looked interesting) in RMNP. Not sure how many days to spend in that area or if we should stay one or two nights in Estes Park and one night in Grand Lake. Other things we are interested In are: Glenwood Springs (maybe stay one night see hanging lake), maybe seeing an old mining town, Brekenridge, Vail and Mt Evans. I would also love to see Mesa Verde National Park, but I'm not sure we could squeeze the time in to see it. Planning to be back in Colorado Springs sometime on the 13th of June (my 51st Bday). We want to see Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, Seven Falls and Manitou Springs) We will leave on the 15th and head down to Sante Fe, NM stopping at Dunes National Park on the way.

The problem is the logistics from the 9th to the 13th. There is just so much to see and do and I'm not sure how much time to alot for driving time and sightseeing. We a want to be able to get out and do some things without it being too strenuous. Can you suggest any thing else we should see? Where we should plan to stay for the night etc.? Also, maybe some restaurant ideas while in Denver and Colorado Springs?

Thanks for all of your help!
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 03:23 PM

I suggest you get a paper map of Colorado AND New Mexico and stick some pins in it.
You seem to want to see COSprings and environs, but I would sure trade any and ALL that for Mesa Verde.
You mention Glennwood and then going back to COSprings--hence my advice to look at a map.
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 06:10 PM

I would skip CO Springs this time and visit Mesa Verde and Canyon of the Ancients and Hovenweep. Lots of spectacular places in that area.
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Gretchen and Sylvia. I will take a closer look at a map. Mesa Verde does look amazing. I haven't heard of Canyon of the Ancients or Hovenweep and I'm anxious to research them both. It really helps to talk to someone that knows the area. Colorado has so much to offer.
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 03:19 AM

You are well on your way to New Mexico at Mesa Verde. Canyon de Chelly could also be another visit site.
If you decide to go to Mesa Verde, please plan 2 nights and make reservations at Far View Lodge IN the park. It is a long distance to stay outside the Park and drive in. MV is a wonder of the world in my opinion.
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 05:10 AM

We visited MV while staying in nearby Cortez this fall (glorious colors on the mesa). It took 1/2 hour to the base visitor center, another 1/2 hour to the top. It is not always possible to stay within national parks, or to stay as long as one wishes, but MV is well worth even a day trip. We stopped all over (bring binoculars to see into places across the canyons), took our time, and even drove out Weatherill mesa (but only did a short self-guided hike to a site).
Age and creaky knees prevented us from the tours into cliff dwellings that must be reserved now (so glad we did that on previous visits).
We then drove (next day) to the fairly new Canyons of the Ancients national monument, visited the Lowry Pueblo ruins, and then some sites on the way to Hovenweep (all alone climbing down to a tower and petroglyphs...simply wonderful).
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 08:41 AM

You really need to get that map. Colorado is a big state and driving in the mountains can be slow and it is never direct. Denver to Mesa Verda is about 400 miles and 7 to 8 hours driving time. June 8th is early and you will still find snow at the higher elevations especially on Trail Ridge road. The road will only have opened the previous week.

Spend some time at your library and review some guide books for Colorado.
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

All good information. I will head over to the book store and get a map and some books after Christmas. Taking all your advice and dropping Co Springs from our itinerary. Will look over all your suggestions, and come up with a new plan. Gretched thanks for the info regarding Far View Lodge and the 2 night stay....we will definitely do this! I appreciate everyone's imput. Thank you so much!
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 03:03 AM

Just print a map off the internet and print various regions.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 09:21 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with the recommendation that you study the map, and remember that mountain driving can be full of surprises. Even snow in early June.

I'd cut down on your list of places to stay. That's so much driving, PLUS you are driving to/from Tennessee.

Pick an area and stay in that region. Grand County or Summit County would have everything you want. Don't try to do it all. You'd end up with a drive-by vacation.

When you narrow it down, post again with specific questions about lodging, hiking, dining, weather, etc. in the area you choose.
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks MoBro I will do that!
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 04:43 PM

Bowen Gulch is probably nice but it wouldn't make many top 10 lists for RMNP.

Super easy hikes: Sprague, Bear or Lily Lake, Coyote Valley - these are all level and short

Easy: Rock Cut, Alberta Falls, Adams Falls - all short with some elevation gain

Moderate: Mills Lake, the Loch, Bierstadt Lake, Ute Trail -longer, more elevation gain