Search

Trip To California

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 07:23 AM
Diane Kilby

Trip To California

Two couples will be traveling to California from Cincinnati, Ohio. Arriving early June 16,200l. Staying 16, 17, 18, in San Francisco. Found a room very reasonable at the Travelodge on Lombard Street. Is this a bad choice? Just want a clean & comfortable room in a safe area close to public transportation. Renting a car and leaving Tuesday morning for South Lake Tahoe. Will be there 19, 20, 2l. Found rooms at South Lake Tahoe Travelodge. Anyone ever stayed there? Staying 22, 23, 24 in Oakhurst at the Best Western Gateway Inn. Will visit Yosemite Nat't Park. Staying 25, 26 in Three Rivers at the Best Western Holiday Lodge. Will visit Sequoia & Kings Canyon. 27 & 28 will stay at the Quality Inn Monterey. Anyone ever stayed there? Would it be better to stay one night at Big Sur and then travel up to Monterey for one night before leaving on the 29 to return to San Francisco for the return flight on the 30th back home? Places we plan to visit are, Miur Woods, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge & Park, the pier, China Town, Lombard Street, Ponderosa Ranch, Donner Memorial State Park. Yosemite, Sequoia & Kings Canyon, Big Sur. Pt.Lobos St. Park. If there is anything we should add or skip your input would be appreciated.

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 08:52 AM
Liz

My main thought is that this is ALOT of ground to cover in 2 weeks. As long as you've checked the milage and are O.K. with that. Keep in mind, most of the roads you will need to use are smaller mountain roads with lots of curves, not interstates.

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 10:41 AM
lisa

Overall this looks like a great itinerary to me. However, aside from the Monterey Aquarium, which is excellent, I don't know why anyone would want to spend much time in Monterey. One night is more than enough in my opinion. It is too touristy for my taste. Big Sur is wonderful and I would definitely recommend at least one night there; however, the above poster is correct that you are covering a lot of ground so I don't know that you want to add more mileage on top of what you're already covering. It's a judgment call. If it were my trip, I would add one night in Big Sur and subtract one night from Monterey.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 09:37 AM
Sandra

Diane,

Plan on getting your tickets for the tour of Alcatraz in advance of your visit. I think you can get them via Ticketron or on the internet. We didn't get them in advance and they were sold out for the times we were there.

Enjoy your trip.
Sandra

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 10:20 AM
Terry

I'm not crazy about the Lombard Street area, just because it is away from everything. We prefer the Columbus Motor Inn on Columbus Street. It's within walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiradelli Square, North Beach, and Chinatown. We had a bus stop at our front door and a cable line a block away. We had a 3rd floor room on the street side and had a view of Alcatraz and Coit Tower. We found it in the AAA book (3 stars) and it was $89/night for a large room w/king size. They also have a 2 bedroom suite for $129/night only 1 bathroom that sleeps 6.

If you are planning on spending most of your time in Yosemite Valley and are staying 3 nights in Oakhurst it's about an hours drive to the valley from there. You might want to stay in the valley. Reserve now!

You will love Pt. Lobos. Take a lunch and picnic there. I have to agree with the above poster about Monterey. It's a tourist town with allot of shopping, so if that's what you like stay the extra night, otherwise I'd head for Big Sur and stay there (Deetjen's is suppose to be a beautiful place to stay in Big Sur, they have a web site). Do see the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 10:30 AM
Liz

One reason to stay in Oakhurst for Yosemite: If you plan to spend the day in the park, then get cleaned up and find a place to get dinner. The valley has little to offer other than the Ahwanee, which is expensive. Otherwise you're stuck with subsistance food. The only problem I had with Yosemite, reasonable but good food was a long ride away.

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 08:42 PM
jeanne

just got back from my first trip to calif. everyone is right about Big Sur. We had not planned on the excursion, but it turned out to be the highlight of our trip. have fun.

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 02:46 PM
sandy

JMHO, but I would NEVER stay in Oakhurst, or anywhere but IN Yosemite, or as close as possible (El Portal. Again, JMHO, but I assume you're NOT going to Yosemite to EAT, but to enjoy and explore the stunningly beautiful park. Again, JMHO, but you can eat anywhere. You'll never find Yosemite anywhere else.

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 02:48 PM
sandy

And yes, we have stayed at the Columbus Motor Inn and found it to be as great as the other previous poster.