Reload this Page >

Eugene, OR - Where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 09:39 PM
April

Does anybody have an opinion of the Valley River Inn? Or is there some other place you can recommend? I'd prefer to pay under $150 a night if possible.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 08:06 PM
April

Anybody?

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 06:25 AM
John

April, we generally stay at the New Oregon Motel, right across the street from the University of Oregon. While it's basically a luxurious motel, the location is excellent and, well, we've been staying there for 30 years or so. Habitual, I guess you'd say. I'm surprised at the low response, too, since it seems there are numerous boutique-y places to stay in Eugene these days.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 06:31 PM
April

Thanks John. Yes I too thought more people would have gone to Eugene.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 09:32 PM
Kelly

Have always stayed at the Red Lion Hotel.Never been disappointed. sometimes crowded on weekends.If can't find anyplace downtown, lots of motels on Highway 5.

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 09:30 PM
kristian

April:

The Valley River Inn is one of the nicer places I've stayed in Eugene...usually under $100 a night. They have a nice pool, and the rooms are clean. Nothing in Eugene is too ritzy, but the Valley River is what I imagine a small hotel in Eugene should be like. Kind of "woodsy." If you can, try to get a room that overlooks the river...won't be anything that knocks your socks off, but it beats looking over the parking lot. Also, if you have an "entertainment book" you can get 50% off. I got my room overlooking the river for about $89 a night.

Near the Valley River Inn (across the parking lot in fact, is the Valley River Mall. The shopping isn't extraordinary, but there's no sales tax on clothes and shoes in Oregon. I always find a thing or two I like.

The other place I've stayed in is the Hilton on 6th or 7th, I can't remember exactly. I think that's right in downtown, closer to any "action" that Eugene has (the valley river is kind of far, as far as Eugene standards go). It wasn't one of your snazzier hiltons, but again, it was clean and convenient, and for the $69 a night I paid, the amenities I got beat the Best Western I stayed in previously, which was around the same price!

I hope you enjoy your stay in Eugene...it's scenic, and the people are very nice.

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 09:34 PM
Kristian

One more thing...if the New Oregon that John mentioned is the Best Western (which I don't think it is, since he says he's stayed there for 30 years) it's not bad. But if you want to stay at a Best Western, there are two, within spitting distance from each other...the New Oregon and the Greentree (I think). The New Oregon is the newer of the two...or it might be the same exact hotel that John mentioned that was bought out by Best Western, as I can't imagine they planned on putting two motels that close together. Both, as John mentioned, are right across the U of O.

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 12:07 PM
April

Thanks for all your responses. As it turns out, Kristian, I recently got an entertainment book.

No sales tax sounds good to me. Up here in BC we're paying 14% on nearly everything but then our dollar isn't worth as much.