Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where is a conveniet place to stay when visiting Williamsburg?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 05:43 PM
RM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been there in 20 years and want to take my family over the Thanksgiving holidays. I don't really have a budget for a room but some where between $80.00-$125.00 per night is where I want to be.

We will need two rooms and would like to be within 10-20 minutes of Williamsburg.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

RHM
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 02:13 AM

The Patrick Henry or the Ramada that is next door to the Patrick Henry.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 03:34 AM

I would also recommend the Patrick Henry. It literally across the street from Colonial Williamsburg, but much much less expensive than staying in one of the colonial Williamsburg hotels. It's an ordinary, perfectly nice motel, with a terrific location.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Intrepid

I agree with the PH...nothing palatial but a perfectly acceptable (IMO) place to stay and within minutes (easy walking) to the W-Burg historical area..right across the road from one of the W-Burg horse pastures.

Old Jul 19th, 2003, 01:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Also check into the Williamsburg Hospitality House. It's directly across the street from Wm and Mary and two blocks from the restored area. It's also within walking distance of restaurants, deli's and convenience shops. A shopping center with a grocery, drugstore, bookstore, etc. is a two minute drive.

Old Jul 19th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Intrepid

If the Hospitality House is within walking distance of restaurants, etc., it might be a better spot than the PH.

Old Jul 19th, 2003, 02:18 PM

Patrick Henry, Ramada, nearby Sheraton 4 Points, and Hospitality House all good choices, especially if you want to walk to C.W. and some dining locations.

But since you stated "within 10-20 minutes", I assume you'll have a car? If so, consider chain hotels on Bypass Road, on Richmond Rd (but no further up than around 3500 Richmond Rd) You'll have a number of local and chain restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, and you'll still only be 5-10 minutes from CW.

Tip: if traveling east on Bypass road and going to CW, do NOT turn Rt onto Rt 132 as signs direct you to get to CW. Instead, continue straight on Bypass and make a right about 500' after the traffic light into "Cascades" then the first left, which takes you directly to CW visitor parking lots.