Trip Report - spring break, Arizona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all who helped with this. MikeP, I wish we had had more time in Tucson!This was a short trip, 3/24 - 3/29 but a good taste of what the area offers. We stayed in Phoenix at Squaw Peak Hilton Pointe for 3 days.We are a family of 5 & this is exactly what I needed. The weather was great for most of the time & the kids loved the pools, most of all the lazy river, the hot tub & the sports pool. I got to finish my Douglas Preston book & start another. This is a great spot for families! We had the bounceback package so we got breakfast for 2 for each suite, a good deal. Food & drink service was slow at the pool but it did come & waitstaff was very cordial. We ate on-site all of the time, ventured to Aunt Chiladas one night which was just down the street.
In Tucson, we stayed at Loews Ventana Canyon after bidding on priceline (thanks to MFNYC). It is a lovely resort, a very different ambience from Squaw Peak. Much more quiet but there were some children. We got lucky as our rooms faced their interior desert landscape. We could & did hop over our patio wall & walk to their desert path. This is hard to describe but it was very cool. With priceline, I was expecting views of the parking lot. The kids loved the pool & hot tub even without all the bells & whistles of Squaw Peak. The only mistake we made was eating at the hotel restaurants. They were very nice but very expensive. We should have ventured further, especially for dinner. I cannot feel too guilty though because of the deal we got on priceline. Our highlight of Tucson was the spring training game, Rockies vs Giants. Wished the Rockies would have won, tied 6-6 but loved watching the game in a more intimate setting. We will be back for spring training! and a spring break for Mom! Betsy
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 05:54 PM
P_M

Thanks for the report. I've heard so many nice things about Tuscon, it's on my list of things to do in life.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:45 AM

Hi Betsy,

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Hope you can stay a bit longer in Tucson next time.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 05:15 AM

thanks for giving a trip report. I always like to see that people use information they received on this forum.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 06:44 AM

thanks for the trip report. My family of 5 also stayed at Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak about 2 yrs ago. Your post brought back great memories of family time and a smile to my face
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

MikeP - I'm sure we will be back - especially for spring training. It was so nice to see the team in a more intimate setting. I was also impressed that Tucson seemed so easy to get around in. I just wish traveling was easier - with flight delays, etc. it took us a whole day to get home, which included the drive back from Tucson to Phoenix. And that's only to Denver, a hour and a half flight. Both of our "TED" flights were delayed, supposedly weather related.