Trip report- Sarasota

Apr 5th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Trip report- Sarasota

We had a great trip to Sarasota Florida (my wife and I). We went from 3/15/07 through 3/22/07. We stayed at The Best Western Midtown and with a Priceline special discount and through their "name your own price service" we stayed for 54 per night.

The hotel is in a good location and it is clean. The rooms look like they are newly renovated. The pool is a big plus.

The highlights included Casperson Beach in Venice, the Venice Beach Fishing Pier and Sharkey's on the Pier, The Ringling Museum Campus, The Warm Springs Resort in North Port Florida, Captiva and Sanibel Islands, The Bubble Room on Captiva, Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota for Reds Spring Training, the sunset cruise on Sarasota Bay. The lowlights were that The Pelican Man Bird Sanctuary is closed as of 12/13/06 due to lack of funding. This is a shame.

The weather was sunny everyday. Another highlight is Siesta Key Public Beach. The gulf coast is beautiful in the late winter and early to late Spring. Would go back again in a heartbeat!
Apr 5th, 2007, 05:40 PM

We just returned from a month in Sarasota, staying in the Laurel Park section of town- not too far from the Best Western.

It is such a great small city- we loved it also. Hope you were able to get to the Farmers Market, and some of the Jazz Festival that was in town.When we went to North of Lido Key, we were also sad to see the Pelican Bird Sanctuary closed- but did you get to the Mote?
If you put in my screen name in the search box, you will see my trip report- and maybe get some ideas for the next time!
Thanks for the post!
Apr 13th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Dear Capecodshanty,

We arrived at the Mote late in the afternoon and did not have time to do it justice. We went to the area specifically to see The Pelican Mann Bird Sanctuary which was closed. Will give the Mote it's justice on our next visit which I hope will be soon.
Apr 13th, 2007, 11:08 AM
FLmom

howie67- I'm jealous!! Reading your report makes me realize I haven't visited my own town in a long time. I guess I'm all wrapped up with regular life stuff and I'm always thinking about going somewhere else. So thanks for reminding me of all the beautiful and enjoyable placed to visit in my own back yard. I'm glad you had a good time.

BTW do they still have that giant T-Bone steak at The Bubble Room?

Apr 16th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

FLMom, The Bubble Room still has that big T-bone steak according to their web site http://www.bubbleroomrestaurant.com/frameset.html. I did not order it when I was there. I had something else, but can't remember what I ordered. I do remember their large desserts. The Christmas cake was very impressive.
Apr 16th, 2007, 06:12 AM

Thanks for the details, that's too bad about Pelican Man, I used to volunteer there before I went to college.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:31 AM

Would you mind sharing the name of the cottage you rented in Sarasota? My husband and I are planning a similar trip in December and much prefer cottages to hotels.