Trip Report, part 1: Moab, Utah

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Tricia

Hi all,
A special thanks to all who helped me plan this trip ~ especially Bob Brown, Utahtea, Dayle & Thereuare. Our vacation was terrific!
First stop: Moab. I didn't want to leave here! We had 2 1/2 days to spend seeing Moab ~ not enough!
Dead Horse Point State Pk. was our first stop. Great trails & views of the Colorado river. My 15 year old, just waiting for us to get to Vegas, commented "Awesome choice Mom, this place is cool". That sums that up.
Next, Arches National Park. Just the entrance here is fantastic! I loved Arches! Everywhere you turned, you were blessed with yet another incredible view! We hiked to Delicate Arch. This is a 480' increase across slickrock. My 15 year old and my husband hiked all the way without a rest. Not me, our 13 year old son and I definitely needed a sit down & drink rest. Not only is this a hike up, but it was 106 degrees, and that was at 5:00 p.m. It was so worth it though! You come around a bend (actually a cliff w/an overhang), and there's the arch!
We spent much of our time at Arches, driving to each view point and hiking to the arches. It was really fun.
Our last day, we used an outfitter ~ OARS ~ to do a 1/2 day Canyonlands 4 wheel drive tour, 1/2 day Colorado river jetboat ride. This was really great and so worth the money! We rode down the Shafter trail and stopped to see the spot where Thelma & Louise was filmed. The guides were very knowledgable & just plain nice people. They served an excellent picnic lunch. There were no rapids on the Colorado while we were there, river's just too low. Sandbars visible. This day was one we will always remember.
Places we ate: Eddie McSkiff's. Good pizza & I tried a lime beer. Excellent. Boys had skimpy chicken wings, I'd skip them.
Excellent barbeque joint directly behind the Best Western Canyonlands where we stayed. The food here was really good. Everyone enjoyed their meal. The Moab Diner was also pretty good diner fare.
The Best Western Canyonlands was one of the nicest hotels we stayed at during our 2 week trip. Beautiful rooms, nice staff, prompt & courteous. Highly recommend this place.
So, that's it for Moab. Our next stop was Page, Arizona. The drive to Page was super, Monument Valley is just like you see on t.v. and in pictures. I enjoyed driving throughout all of Utah!
Part 2 will be forthcoming. Tricia

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:26 PM
x

Hope you post part 2 as a response to this thread. I hate when they're on separate posts. It's hard to know when you've read all parts of a trip report. Love them!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Tricia

Part 2: Page, Arizona and the North Rim
The drive to Page was, in my opinion, better than Page itself. To see Lake Powell appear with the red rock all around was beautiful.
Page is a small town across the bridge from the Glen Canyon Recreational Area and the Wahweap facility where we stayed. My husband referred to the Wahweap lodge as "the highest priced dump he has ever stayed in". I have to agree. Wahweap is way over rated, rooms are mediocre at best. The service was also fairly lousy. (Had to call and ask for the roll-away three times and our room wasn't ready at check-in time).
The Glen Canyon National Recreation Area was nice, the tour of the dam was well worth the time.
We rented a boat from the Wahweap Marina. This was really a fun day, but the boat & houseboat & jet ski traffic was horrendous. Perhaps it was because it was a week-end while we were there. No great food to speak of here, unless, that is, you count lunch at Taco Bell.
Anyway, on to the North Rim.
Now, this was all that I had expected and more!! Everything about the North Rim of the Grand Canyon was grand. The views, of course, were spectacular! Our cabin had a front porch and rocking chairs. We were located close to the Visitor's Center. There were deer all around at night. (It's very dark, bring flashlights). We had dinner in the rustic, but lovely, lodge. Again, wonderful views of the rim. There was also a rainbow while we dined. The food here was the best meal we had while on vacation. Yes, we too were surprised. I had filet mignon, the rest of my family had prime rib. We enjoyed caramel apple cheescake for dessert. Service was also excellent here.
We hiked the Bright Angel Trail. Very easy, but watch your step. Also, drove to the Cape Royal Point and Imperial Point. Grand views everywhere. Note: some trails were closed due to severe fire danger. No candles, grills, or fires of any kind were allowed.
Only stayed one peaceful night at the North rim. We slept with the windows open (no air conditioning or t.v. here folks). Enjoyed my morning coffee, all alone, on the front porch while watching these huge blue jays fly from tree to tree. It was so quiet and nice. I came away from the North Rim rejuvenated and ready to take on Vegas.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:45 AM
RB

So glad your trip was a good one. Double ditto on BW Canyonlands in Moab; the one at Capitol Reef is just as good! Your family will be talking about this trip for a long time. Thanks for posting such a good report.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Tricia

Part 3: Vegas, Zion & Bryce
Well, in my opinion, Vegas is indeed something everyone should see and experience at least once. We really had fun here. Stayed at the Flamingo, per thereuare's recommendation, and it was really great! For 59 bucks a night, you couldn't go wrong. Check-in was a breeze, service was excellent, and our room was nice & clean. We were on the 24th floor, with a clear view of the Bellagio fountains. Very nice!

Just strolled around in the morning & early afternoon hours, touring other hotels and shopping @ Caesar's forum. Visited the Madame Tussaud's wax museum that you don't hear people talk about much here. We thought it was fantastic! Saw all the free street shows. Went to Fremont Street our last night for the "experience". Very cool, and well worth the $20.00 each way it was for a taxi ride. There's no place to sit for light show, people just stand & walk in street. Tip: We sat outside of Starbucks w/mocha frapacinnos (sp). Great drinks & seats! Shows start at about 8:30 p.m.

Driving from Vegas to Zion was the only boring ride we had. The approach to Zion is almost as good as the approach to Arches in Moab. I felt jipped, not having enough time in Zion. This park is fairly small, with huge stone formations and red cliffs. Just beautiful. If I did the trip over, I would definitely stay a night here. The village at the foot of Zion looked quaint and inviting. We only had the morning, and headed through on to Bryce. No breath taking views entering Bryce National Park. It's a gradual beauty here. Every turn off view point is one to stop at! We hiked the Bristlecone Loop, at 9,000 feet. It was easy, through forest, there was a beautiful breeze. It's not as warm @Bryce as all the other parks we visited. Bryce is full of spires, pinnacles, domes, forests & meadows. It has it all.

Next morning, before heading back to Salt Lake City, we went to Red Canyon for a horseback ride that we arranged through Ruby's Inn where we stayed. (Nice enough place, hubby had excellent prime rib in restaurant here).
The ride through Red Canyon was exceptional! The wrangler's were great fun, and my kids who weren't quite sure if they wanted to ride (first time experience for us all), loved it. I got great pictures of this adventure. My husband thought this was one of the true highlights of our trip.

That's about it folks. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer. Have a nice day all. Tricia

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Jan

Tricia, thanks so much for the refreshing, detailed, well written reviews!!
Extremely helpful!!!

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Sam

Tricia,

We leave the east coast on Monday for almost this identical trip - just set up differently. Thanks for taking time to write about your experiences - 1st hand info is good to have.