Reload this Page >

Trip report: Oahu and Maui - Part 2

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:06 PM
Cathy

I also forgot to mention that we hiked Diamond Head in Oahu. This is a good hike. We did it 12 years ago when I was 3 months pregnant. This time we did it with my 11 year old daughter and her 9 year old brother. I really see the difference. I don't remember having to stop half way on the stairs 12 years ago. This time I stopped half way for about a few minutes to rest. Of course, my children just led the way nonstop. This hike ascend to the top and a stair of 99 steps, then a dark tunnel and a short spiral stair in the dark. We were prepared and each of us had flashlights. The children really enjoyed the hike and the view at the top.

We also bought papayas at the outdoor market near the zoo. Four for $1.00. They were so good, especially for breakfast on the lanais. We bought Takos (raw squids with sesame and onions) and Lomi Lomi salmon ( salmon with 2 kinds of onions and salt)at Foodland. They were good.

We also had breakfast at Keo's on Thursday morning in Oahu before leaving for Maui.

We got a great package from the Westin in Maui for 5 nights plus car rental for $729 with $100 credit at the resort. We never went to the timeshare presentation because it was not required. This deal only gave us garden view. We asked and received complimentary upgrade to mountain view on 6th floor looking down at the parking lot and the golf course and mountain at a distance. The room is small compared to Hilton's. However, the service is good. Each time I picked up the phone they addressed me by my last name (this did not happen at the Hilton). The Heavenly Bed is great with layers of white sheets, extra pillows. The Heavenly Bath is even better with double shower heads. There is no closet, but there is an armoir instead. The refrigerator is stocked with beer, water, soft drinks. We removed some of the water bottles to store our own. We relaxed at the pool on Friday. My kids like the birds at the hotel and they fed the swans in the lagoon. However, they were disappointed that the hot tub is only opened for adults, not children. They love the Westin's pool, eventhough the water was cold. However, once you come into the water, it is refreshing. The pool service is very adequate.

We arrived at Haleakala around 7 AM on Saturday. We were there last year and did some light hiking. Years ago (before kids), we saw the sunrise but did not do so this time. It was awsome. At 9 AM, we met the Nature Conservancy guide, Dan Cohen, for a hike at the Waikamoi Preserve. I highly recommend this hike. You have to make reservation with them though. It is so neat. We went through koa areas and lowland forests, then to the wetter part and then to a boardwalk in the rainforest. We saw different kinds of bird at the end of the trail that you don't usually see in lower elevation. We saw a keiki alauahio in its nest along the boardwalk, cute thing. Dan is a great guide and very good with children. My kids enjoyed hiking and hanging out with him.

We drove the north route to Nakelele Point and hiked down a trail (rocky, seems like it it was made for the mule) to the blow hole. This is fabulous, and much better than Poipu, Kauai. There is no rail here. You approach using your common sense. We stayed a few yards away and enjoyed the splashes. There were also little fishes in little crevices there. In general, we all had a great time tasting salt water.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:24 AM
Tess

Cathy, thanks for the trip report. Glad you and your kids had a nice time there. I was wondering where you got that cheap rate at Westin Maui. We're going to Oahu next week but I'm already planning our vacation next year to Maui.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:10 AM
bettyk

Tess, perhaps that was a "per person" rate that Cathy quoted? Otherwise, she really did get a fabulous deal!

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 01:25 PM
xxx

Is it important that the hotel staff address you by your last name when yopu pick up the phone ? Amazing waht some people consider to be importants !!

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 03:18 PM
Cathy

Tess,
The rate we got with the Westin is for the whole party of four. I don't know how we got on their mailing list. But a few years ago we received the same deal with the Kauai Marriott. At the time, Marriott was converting their Maui hotel to timeshare units. We opted for Kauai instead and was accepted since they still have spots open for sale in Kauai. The Westin is constructing a new building for these timeshare units and they will have kitchens (whereas the Marriott did not have full kitchen due to converting without venting systems).

Cathy