Trip Report- New York City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I’d post a quick trip report, as I appreciated the tips I received from all of you Fodorites who helped! My husband, 20 yr old daughter, and I had a fabulous 5 days in town, highlighted by lots of museum visits.
Arrived early evening Wed Aug 30 from California –had time for a quick walk around the theatre district and a bite to eat.

Thurs- changed hotels to the Hilton on 6th and 53rd (we had changed plans to arrive a day earlier, couldn’t get add’l night- at a reasonable price that is!) Visited the Dahesh Museum in midtown to see Napoleon in Egypt exhibit- daughter loves all things Egyptian, so that was a hit. Also had time to stop at H&M, where she always has good luck! (But I think our favorite purchase were the pasminas we got!) Went to theatre district around 6 armed with printouts from Seasonofsavings.com to see if we could score discount tickets for that evening- got 5th row seats off center aisle for The Producers- we didn’t know it would be so funny, and racy- great show! Also stopped at box office for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels to get tickets for Fri night- again got good seats- although beware, there’s no leg room in that theatre.

Friday- not the earliest start again, with the time change, but after breakfast took the subway to the Brooklyn Museum and spent many hours there- excellent- our first visit. Daughter and I stopped in SoHo on the way back, but not much time to look around- had to get back for a quick bite, then Dirty Rotten- again, very entertaining and enjoyable show.

Saturday- The promised rain finally arrived- however, we had already planned to go to MOMA for the day- half a block away! So that worked out perfectly, and we loved it as we did last trip. Decided to venture out to check out last minute tickets for a show, but being Sat night had no luck (didn’t feel like paying full price!). We took one of the suggestions posted and just showed up at Foley’s Fish House- after a short wait, had a table with a great view of rainy Times Square. Perfectly fine dinner, although I can imagine purists might turn up their noses! Umbrellas turned inside out on the way back to the hotel, but the next day dawned clear…

Sunday- Daughter and I went to The Cloisters- after considering all the advice, we took the subway from Columbus Circle (after picking up a muffin and cookie from Bouchon Bakery!) and planned on taking the bus the rest of the way. When we inquired at the station upon arriving, the clerk said it was right upstairs and we didn’t need to take a bus. Well, not exactly. But it was a lovely, warm day, so we strolled to the Cloisters- about a 15 minute walk. Fine for us, but for those who are not too mobile, go with the bus! Loved the place, and was surprised and excited to see Campin’s Annunciation triptych there. (Didn’t make it to the suggested New Leaf for brunch.) Dinner was at the suggestion of the concierge- Shelley’s Steak and Seafood- a pleasant place near the hotel.

Monday- we had reserved for the Met- since it’s about the only place open on this Labor Day Monday- unbelievably great as usual. Got pretty exhausted after the whole afternoon there. A simple supper at La Bonne Soupe- not great but close by and friendly.

Tuesday- headed to the airport after breakfast (one of those New York deli’s was right across the side street- this one was really good and we ate there and picked up snacks during our whole stay). Left for our 3 days in Chicago- guess I’ll continue that on a different report!
Many thanks to all of you who contributed your ideas for our wonderful trip!
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 11:20 AM
yk

Thanks for posting the report.

After many visits to NYC, I still haven't made it to the Cloisters. I'll try to put that on the list for my next visit.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 02:57 PM

nvl325

Great report thanks.

The Cloisters in on my list of places to visit. Why didn't your DH join you?

Sandy
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Glad you made the trip out here to Brooklyn!

And thanks for posting the report

John!
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

well, Sandy, since you ask... (I thought about including this, but then figured the Fodorites might think- too much information!)... hubby had a hip replacement a year ago, and even though he gets around fine, went with us on our hours-long museum visits, he thought that the trip up to the Cloisters, including getting there from the subway, and after all that we still have to actually go through the whole place, and then back again- that would make for a pretty exhausting day- and he didn't want to cramp our style. (yk, hope you make it there on your next trip!)

He did go over to the Museum of Television and Radio for part of the time while we were gone, and enjoyed some programs featuring some of his favorites- Jack Benny and the Smothers Brothers- so he was fine!

John, unfortunately our trip to Brooklyn didn't include time to do any other exploring- I would have loved to go to The River Cafe!- but maybe next time. Beautiful museum!
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Sounds like it was a great trip!

Not many posters report on going to the Dahesh Museum (I finally made it there last trip)--I'll bet the Napoleon exhibit was terrific! Your description of the Cloisters sounds like a good time (I haven't made it there yet).

Thanks for the report!
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 01:24 PM

Do you need to reserve to go to the Met? And other museums?
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 01:33 PM

nvl325 - I just wanted to make sure my DH will enjoy the Cloisters so appreciate your quick explanation. Very glad to hear that Mr.nvl325 is getting around fine in spite of the hip replacement.

Sandy
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 01:48 PM

carrom, no reservations are needed at the Met, even for special exhibitions. As for other museums: generally speaking, they occasionally require timed reservations for "blockbuster" shows; the Natural History museum does for Imax, Rose Center, and special shows; Tenement Museum does all the time, as the only way inside is via a guided tour (but well worth it!!).

I believe nlv meant that she and her family blocked out time to go to the Met, rather than that they made a reservation in order to go there...

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 06:43 AM

Thanks, am planning trip to NY btw Xmas and New Year so am eagerly reading up on the latest news. Haven't been over over there for a while.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 04:49 AM

Love NY. We also travelled to Brooklyn on our last visit. We went on to Coney Island which sadly has seen better days, but we still enjoyed it. Maybe John could recommend places of interest, nice restaurants etc. to visit next time we are there.