Trip Report: LA, Laguna Beach, San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently ventured to Southern California--a first time trip for me. Hope this trip report helps someone--

Itinerary

2 Nights in LA
(stayed at Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel)
1 Night in Laguna Beach
(stayed at the Surf and Sand)
3 Nights in San Diego
(stayed with very nice friends)

Food & Drink
Pizzeria Mozza- (LA) Easily the trip's best meal. I can't recommend this enough. The sausage and fennel pizza I had is still VERY fresh in my mind. We sat at one of the two bars, which was great because we were able to watch the bakers assembling these amazing pies.

Melisse- (LA) Melisse is a classical French restaurant in Santa Monica. The window shades were pulled and all eyes were on the food. We enjoyed everything we had here---though it was a very rich meal and one that definitely took a wallop on our wallet.

Roscoe's House of Chicken & Waffles- (LA) This is the kind of place you think to go to after a late night. Watching my beau attempt to sample both Chicken and Waffles at the same meal was definitely noteworthy--he's more of an organic, juicing type of eater so it was funny. I stuck to one waffle and a side order of scrambled eggs and cheese (my, my, there was so much cheese.) This meal gave us a food coma and inspired us to take a hike later that afternoon in Runyon Canyon.

25 Degrees- (LA) This restaurant was in the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel; sort of like an upscale diner. It wasn't particularly memorable; but for breakfast in a hotel---it was pretty good. I had the Eggs Benedict. Their lunch and dinner offerings (with much focus on their burgers) seem to be what their more known for. Not a bad idea for folks looking for a glass of wine and a burger after touring Grauman's Chinese Theatre (which is practically across the street).

Studio- (Laguna Beach) This was our other big meal splurge. Studio is perched on a far corner of the Montage Resort property overlooking the water. Service was pretty exceptional--though their regular wine sommelier was out and the replacement wasn't as knowledgable as I would have liked (the wine list was insane.) I liked the atmosphere here--it's expensive for sure, but I liked that service and the actual restaurant (which has a vague barn-like structure) didn't feel stuffy or overly "full of itself."

We had a late reservation (8:30), but I imagine the seatings closer to sunset are amazing (all the tables have view of the water). As it was, we couldn't really see anything out of the window.

Shake Shack -(Crystal Cove) Okay, so this isn't really a restaurant but I have to mention the Chocolate and Peanut Butter shake that I so enjoyed just above the Crystal Cove State Park. We took a walk around too to check out the various cabins, perhaps for a return visit. There are scenes of these cabins in the tear jerker, "Beaches".

Joe's Pizza - (Santa Monica--delivered to Venice Beach) As a part of our sad, slow transition back to New York, we had a pizza delivered to us from Joe's Pizza (they have a pizza place in New York on Bleeker Street) at The Otheroom in Venice Beach. It was a nice idea in thought--but the pizza was kind of cold when it finally got to us and I think the crust just wasn't the same. I'm blaming it on differences in the water. We did like "Otheroom" quite a bit---it was crowded though. Great beer list.

The Mission - (San Diego)
We had breakfast here one morning--and it did the job. Casual, affordable, and simple. I enjoyed my
Rancheros Verde.

The Waterfront - (San Diego) I love a good dive bar---this did not disappoint.

Sleep

Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel
Beautiful building (especially the front lobby area, which seems highly underutilized). We found a great rate for this on travelzoo; I'm not sure if I would have been as pleased if we had paid a rack rate.

The rooms are really funky and modern here--all of them were recently remodeled. Think large orb-like lights hanging from the ceiling, padded brown walls, flat-screen tvs, wooden floors. I liked that the rooms were "different" but I missed some of the basics that I've come to take for granted in a hotel room, like bedside table lights. I did love that our room came with Wi-fi. We had a cabana room which was tucked in the building that surrounds the pool.

The hotel seemed pretty empty when we were there. There were a few folks lounging around the pool though that provided some amusing people watching. There were several women wearing heels and bikinis, which was a little surreal. Not sure what to make of it---it wasn't really our scene but we found it amusing.

One thing to note: Parking-- $28 a day.

Surf and Sand (Laguna Beach)
We really enjoyed our one night stay here. All rooms are oceanfront(I'm pretty sure)-- our view was pretty amazing. Since the hotel is set in on a cliff, you feel like you're literally just above the ocean. A half-bottle of champagne was in our room when we arrived, which I thought was a nice welcome. I slept really well that night--super comfortable bed. Woke up around 5:30/6:00 though and peered outside...definitely saw what I think was a whale coming up for air. Which was just awesome...and from my bed no less! I'd recommend this hotel and Laguna in general for anyone who just wants to hang out and relax. Not a terrible much going on for sure...but we liked it that way.

Other
I promise we did more than just eat and sleep on this trip!

My favorites:

Amoeba Records (LA)
This is a must stop for music junkies. We picked up a couple of used cds to keep us company on our drive down to San Diego

Runyon Canyon Park (LA)
This large park was just a few blocks from our hotel and made me for a moment imagine living in that part of LA. This park consists of a couple of paths that thread up and around a canyon. Note to yoga lovers... There is free yoga Wednesday mornings, I believe. At least there was that morning and it appeared to be a regular thing. google? Bring water if you go---it got hot up there.

Frisbee Golf in San Diego
Our friends in SD took us to a local course near Balboa Park to play our first ever game of frisbee golf. A day pass to play the course is $2.50; discs can be rented for another $2 I believe. I was surprised how much fun this was. I couldn't believe how many locals were out in the middle of the day on a Friday.

Torrey Pines State Reserve
We stopped here on our way out of San Diego after a quick stop in La Jolla. We weren't really impressed with La Jolla--but loved the winding drive up to Torrey Pines from La Jolla village. We opted for the shorter walk through a part of the park; great views. I would recommend this to families as the paths were really well-maintained from what we saw.

The Driving
This trip really made me appreciate my current non-car status here in NYC. I just do not miss sitting in traffic. Really. However, the drive from LA to San Diego was really beautiful---we did rent a convertible. I don't regret doing so, but looking back, I think we would have been just as happy with a car that simply had a sunroof---especially considering the mild weather. We had a Sebring convertible---there was almost no trunk space due to the roof contraption---I felt silly not being aware of this. Our two suitcases filled the backseat.

Museum of Photographic Arts (San Diego)
This was the one museum we popped into the whole trip---which wasn't what we had originally planned but it just worked out that way. It's a small museum--pretty much just three galleries--but I enjoyed it all the same.

I'm still kicking myself for not making it to either the Getty or the LA Museum...but...next time.

All in all...a fun trip.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the report, we also enjoyed the Studio during our stay at the Montage Resort. Glad you enjoyed the Surf and Sand in Laguna Beach, we loved our lunch there at Splashes this past December when we were in Laguna Beach for 3 nights at the Casa Laguna Inn. ***kim***
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the trip report; you've given me some more information for my big "which restaurant???" list for our trip this summer. You're making me a bit worried about our rental being a convertible, though. It's supposed to be a Mustang, which supposedly has a little more trunk space than typical, but the "or similar" disclaimer on the rental agreement worries me.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Glad you enjoyed your trip. San Diego is one of my favorite cities to visit. I play frisbee golf once a week in CT so I'm glad you enjoy it.

In case you would be interested in finding a course near you, here is a great link for Disc Golf Courses across the country. Not all of them rent so you should be aware of that.

http://www.pdga.com/course/index.php
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Katie,

Next time you come to San Diego, we'll have a GTG for you!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:21 PM

Katie,

Thanks for the trip report. Always interesting to hear a first timer's visit to somewhere you know well!

I'm going to play grammar police now: The restaurant 25 degrees - you should type "what THEY'RE known for", not "their". You are the editor, after all, and must set a good example!
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Oy! That's a mistake that I do make occassionally that I do typically catch when I proofread---didn't do too great of a job this time! Thanks for keeping me on my toes, Dayle!

tchoiniere-- Yes, I did love the frisbee golf---it was fun because everyone could play and it was gorgeous out. That's neat you play in CT; there was definitely a very visible frisbee-golf community at this San Diego course the day I was there. Everyone was very friendly--- a solo local actually joined us for a round---friendly folks. Prospect Park in Brooklyn is definitely ripe for a course!

RedPanda--A mustang? Sounds like a beaut-- I can't imagine it having less trunk space than the one we selected. I'm sure the weather will make it even more worth it. Pack lightly!

A GTG sounds like fun---that could count as a "business" trip couldn't it?
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
OF course it would be a business trip. In your line of work isn't every trip a business trip?
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 10:09 AM

Katie -- Glad you had such a great time, next west coast trip must be northern California and we'll do a red carpet GTG for you!
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 03:11 PM

Katie, I am on my way next week for almost the same trip, LA, Santa Monica, and drive to San Diego. I was about to post and ask about the coastal drive. We will be driving right from the beach at Santa Monica after breakfast. Is there a traffic problem along the coast as well and time-wise, what is most accurate? Any must see stops along the way? So far, I was just thinking about La Jolla, the Cove (and seals). Thanks.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 05:39 PM

Katie -- so glad you had a nice time!! Surf and Sand is a favorite of mine - Splashes is a great resturant as well... I have not been to Studio but have heard wonderful things about it.

So glad you had a good vacation.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 05:43 PM
yk

Hi Katie-

You HAVE to visit the Getty (both the Center and the Villa) on your next visit. Both are just lovely.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM

Katie, Glad to hear you had a good time in So. California.

I also didn't know how small the trunk was in a convertible until we rented one in Hawaii last year. So don't feel bad. Too bad you weren't here this weekend. The beaches were close to 90 degrees and it's beautiful weather to drive around in a convertible. Thank goodness though it will cool down by Tuesday-way too early in the year for summer!

Yes next time we must plan a GTG. They really are fun and it would be great to get to meet you.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

If anything, I was surprised how easy the drive was...we really were prepared for crazy traffic and the like. From San Diego to LAX, it was only about 2 hours.

When we drove from L.A. down Laguna Beach we weren't so much on the coast. We took 5 down and cut over close to Laguna.. the drive was probably about 90 minutes. I'm not sure I can give you better times---- I think we just got lucky---we also gave ourselves a lot of time and hence didn't need it.

In terms of stops... we did like stretching our legs and taking a nice "hike" in Torrey Pines State Reserve. We didn't see the coves at La Jolla though they are a Fodor's Choice in the San Diego guide so imagine they're pretty neat. If you do take the coastal route, stop at the Shake Shack near Crystal Cove for a milkshake. Delicious.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 10:53 AM

Red Panda:
We rented a Mustang a few years back and it was great driving around with our top down and the satellite radio in full volume,however we had a three week trip so brought two suitcases, a golf bag, and 2 small carry-ons. Everything but ONE suitcase fit in the trunk, so unfortunately we had to carry it in the back seat.
You guessed it! Every time we stopped and parked the car we had to put the roof up. NO FUN!
I agree with Katie. PACK LIGHTLY!
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM

Great trip review. You hit some of my favorite spots in L.A.! Mozza and Roscoe's are definitely can't-miss restaurants. Yum! And how great that you went to Runyon Canyon. That's a great place to spend a sunny L.A. day.

I haven't been in a room at the Roosevelt since they remodeled them. It was interesting to hear your critique. Also, I love the Surf & Sand in Laguna. You really stayed some great places.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 05:49 AM

Thanks for the report! Question for you about your rental Sebring: We're considering renting a Sebring convertible, but there will be four (4) of us! Is the trunk a problem ALL of the time or only when the top is down? I can deal with the top up going to and from the hotels, unloading the luggage and then "dropping the top" for our drives around town, but we need that valuable trunk space when getting to and from the hotels!
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

It is definitely problem whether the top is up or down. I would not recommend it for four people; we had to place our suitcases in the backseat even with the top down. The mechanical contraption that lifts the top up and down really takes up a huge part of the trunk and there are all of these warning signs to not put anything on top of it (even when it's up). It might work if you all simply take small carry on bag type suitcases.

I'd recommend something with a big sunroof instead.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

And finally.. I should also mention that we extensively used Fodor's Los Angeles...which received a major facelift some time back. It was really helpful and I would recommend that too with the Forums help, of course!
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 08:17 AM

Where to stay between Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach, and Newport Beach.

Did you have reservations at Pizzeria Mozza??? I'm a Mario Batali fan and I've heard it's tough to get in.

Thanks.

Frank

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -