Search

Trip report for Charleston & Savannah

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip report for Charleston & Savannah

Just got home yesterday!

Our weather was perfect. Once again this time of year proved to be the best time of year to travel.

It was quiet due to Thanksgiving being around the corner. The weather was 80's and high 70's almost every day except for a few days when it was in the 60's.

We were not on a schedule since we go to Charleston often. We once again went to the museum though with family. As always I am blown away by how great their museum is. If only all cities could do the same.

We did a carriage ride and toured a house and a plantation. We went out to Middleton for lunch and walking tours. If you can't walk alot then Middleton is not for you. But, it was beautiful.

We dined at Blossom in Charleston. Very good and a laid back atmosphere. Great menu. The grits with walnut infused oil was so good with my fish dish.

Fried green tomatoes a must.

We went to Peninsula for dinner and we were not sorry. You should have reservations I must say for this restuarant. We loved the atmosphere. The drinks. The food and the service. I can't say enough. It is a must if you have a special occassion.

We also hit the Roof Top bar. Awesome view at night and day. Must must must do.

AW Shucks. Oysters were great but lunchtime was not a great time to be there.

We went to a tapas restaurant which right now I can't think of the name for the life of me. Very good as well. I was stuffed when I left. We also hit Trista for drinks and loved the place.

Savannah. Our time was short.

We always hit the local museum of any town prior to touring. While Savannahs museum is really small and in need of financial help to get it up to par they did have a great video to see that gave a great history of the city.

But, we did the walking tour of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Glad we did it on our own and during the day. It was fun to walk around and see the famous houses.

Of course we did that only after eating at Lady and Sons. We hit that at noon. We were seated right away and had lunch upstairs. We had the same buffet and service. But, didn't have the hustle and bustle of the tourists shopping on the main level. Great food. I was not disappointed a tiny bit.

We ended up at the Planters Inn. Loved it. They had a great wine hour or two and the woman hosting set up dinner for us at the Pink House. It was a walk next door and once again the food was fabulous. Later we went down to the bar for drinks and live piano music. What a great time.

It rained that night and so the next morning we did a short walking tour of the river and went into the City Market.

We had breakfast at Clary's and ended up leaving that afternoon by noon. So we were only there for 24 hours. It was enough to hook my husband into considering a trip back and to think about a move there eventually.

Thanks to all with advice. page me if you have any questions.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 09:46 AM
GoTravel

Was Meritage the Tapas restaurant?

There used to be one in Columbia, SC and it closed due to bad location but great food!

Thanks for the trip report!

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 09:48 AM

thanks for your helpful report!

Peninsula Grill is on our to-do list now.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Gotravel, we were sad to see that Meritage was only open for dinner but my friend who lives in Columbia but travels to Charleston often (because she lives in Columbia loves it. Now I'm more disappointed we missed it!
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Meritage! Thank you! They have some great dishes.

There were four of us that shared. I loved the green tomatoes again.

Baked brie dish was great.

The trio of dips with pita bread. YUM

I could go on and on.

Peninsula is awesome. Make a reservation and then get there early enough for a cocktail at the bar. You will not be disappointed. I had the oysters and an oyster stew with grits. SOOO good. I loved the signature drink the Rhett Butler.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 11:26 AM

Great report, welcome home!