Trip Report-Denver, Vail, RMNP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

We just returned from a wonderful week in the gorgeous mountains of Colorado with our 12 and 13 yos.
Denver - stayed at the Comfort Inn downtown. The room layout was perfect for us. One BR with a double, one BR with a king, and a large sitting area with a pullout. The hotel was clean and in a great location but the walls were not at all soundproof which was a problem only one night when a group of teenagers next door was up until 3 talking. We enjoyed Denver. Rode up and down the mall on the 16th st shuttle. Went to a Rockies game, the art museum (perfect size for kids) and the Natural History Museum. The NH museum was the best I've been to including Philly's and NY's. We had a great time at the REI store. I could have spent a lot of money there.
Vail - What a great town! Loved being able to walk or shuttle everywhere. Stayed at the Marriott Resort at the base of the mountain.The room was again perfect for us. A loft with two doubles overlooking a BR with a king. Balcony overlooking the river and bike path. My husband tried his luck flyfishing the river but the fish weren't biting. We liked the fact that there was a shuttle stop right outside the front door and a bike rental shop in the hotel. We all rented bikes to ride the path and then my son and I rented again to bike down the mountain. We also hiked the Stoney Creek trail near the golf course.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Onto beautiful Rocky Mountain National Park. We drove up from Vail and entered from the Grand Lake side but stayed in Estes. Stayed at the Fawn Valley Inn. Had a 1 br condo with 2 baths, full kitchen, and pullout twins in the sitting area. The kids were able to fall asleep to the sounds of the river but we were on the parking lot. The hotel isn't luxurious but it is clean, the owners are friendly and its close to one of the park gates. I would recommend rooms in the buildings further down the hill away from the road. We hiked up to the Loch one day. A fun hike but a little challenging for those of us that live at sea level. It was also more crowded than we expected. If I visit the park again, I'll do the trails on the Grand Lake side. It seems prettier and less crowded. We also tried more fly fishing (no luck there either), drove the old Fall River Rd (kind of scary but fun) and rode horses out of the Moraine Park stables. Saw a moose, lots of elk, quite a few marmots, coyotes, prairie dogs, but no big horned sheep.
On our return towards Denver, we stopped in Boulder. I could move to that town right now. I would be at the Outdoor Diva store every day. And the people watching is a riot.
Restaurants - Wolfgang Pucks in Denver was very good but I wish we had tried a local rather than chain restaurant. It was just convienient at the time. In Vail we had prime rib at Lancelot (very good)and dinner at Vendettas which was ok except that they dumped red wine over my son and didn't offer dessert or any kind of discount. We had reservations at Sweet Basil but canceled after looking at the menu. It just seemed to be the type of place that was trying too hard to have unusual combinations. It is a lovely restaurant, though. Buffalo burgers at Ed's Cantina in Estes were good, steaks at the Chop House were excellent. There was even a restaurant on the way into town from Fawn Valley that had grits with breakfast. I didn't expect to see those in the west! Sorry that I can't remember the name of the restaurant.
I was worried about altitude sickness but advil took care of the headache on the first night in Vail. The dry air bothered this southern girl more. My skin looked like it had aged 5 yrs.
My family had to drag me from the mountains. I would return again in a heartbeat.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glad you enjoyed CO. We love Estes and RMNP. Thanks for the report.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 02:12 PM
gb

Glad you liked Colorado. It's a great place. But, it was a bit too hot the few last weeks.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, gb but you don't know from hot. While it has been a very rainy, cool summer here in the south it is usually 95 with humidity to match. Yes, it was a little warm in Denver but it was a DRY heat as they say. We were very comfortable.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 06:55 AM

Glad it was a good trip. You moving?
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 06:56 AM

PS I have many times suggested Sweet Basils, but had lunch there yesterday, the staff was very snooty and our food was just OK. Really left me with a bad taste, no pun intented.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Coskier, I would move in a minute. Have always been a mountain kind of gal. But I'm married to a beach guy and have two kids in school. Oh well, the compromises we make in life. DH and I have a mixed marriage: mountains/beach, Democrat/Republican. It makes life interesting.
Sorry about your experience at Sweet Basil. I hate it when a favorite goes sour on me.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:10 AM

Birdie, thanks for a great trip report, it brough back wonderful memories of our July trip to Vail. Like you, I would move there in a heartbeat! And being a Florida resident, I know what you mean about the weather - I've never had such good hair days in my life!!Coskier, my only regret on our trip was not getting to Sweet Basil so your comment made me feel a little better. Too many great restaurants, too little time (and money!!)