Trip Planning Journal

Old Jun 26th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Planning Journal

Is there any such thing as a trip PLANNING journal? Trying to plan trip to four states & trying to use notebook which I always use, but end up having info everywhere on different states: air, car, hotels, restaurants. Have ended up skipping several pages so only for that one state. Was just wondering? Hate to get somewhere & realize I forgot to book rental car there!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 06:09 PM

I use a fabulous program called Anytime (www.individualsoftware.com) which has a datebook, "to do's", address book, and notebook (more a memo pad) (and also syncs with my PDA). Once you've entered information, you can print gorgeous itineraries (daily, several days, weekly, two week overview, etc.). You can have as many Anytime files as you like, so you can start a new one for the next trip (so as not to have to remove address book information you no longer need).

Then, I get a "view" binder at Staples and some dividers. I find a beautiful photo of our destination for the cover, then add the name of the destination and our dates. I prepare tabs as needed: Airline, Airport Transfers, Hotel, Sights, Dining, Shopping, Metro/Bus maps, etc. I'm careful to print and punch everything and put it in my notebook right away (rather than saving the printing, etc., for later). You can always remove pages if you've found more appealing choices.

In the datebook area, I'm careful to list phone numbers, confirmation numbers, how and when booked, etc., (even if they're listed in the datebook).

I try to book air, hotel, car at one destination at a time (if possible). Usually, I'll book tentative (something I can cancel) hotel and car rental at the best prices I can find (especially with hotels, rates seem better the farther in advance you book), then reconsider after firming up the flights. I used Priceline a lot, and often Hotwire, and generally receive excellent car rental offers (you have to have done your homework, though).

I print an overall itinerary about a week before we leave and reconfirm everything directly (another good reason to have phone numbers in the datebook), checking each off when done.

I keep an ongoing list, and in the front pocket go paper road/street maps, tickets, etc., though I move some of that to a more secure place once in the car (such as our passports).

A day or two before leaving, I print an overall itinerary and a daily itinerary for each day. There's a really nifty "daily tracker" (it's called in the print layout choices). On one side you have your appointments, on the other your "to do's" (confirm restaurant reservation for tomorrow, reminder and address for transit passes, etc.), with lots of "memo" space at the bottom for handwritten notes (I use this area, along with the back of the sheet, for travel journal notes).

I've been using this program for many, many years and can't imagine planning anything (including my life) without it. You've got to keep track of it all somehow, and this is the best I've found, particularly for the print layouts.

I also highly recommend MS Streets/Trips. Essential for planning road trips, but fabulous for any sort of destination. Many restaurants/hotels (along with nearly all ATM's, subway stations, sights, attractions, and so forth) are already included, but you can also add your own. You can highlight all your itinerary destinations, then print beautiful maps. You can even determine walking distances from one place to another.

If you have a PDA, well...let me know!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

So informative! I will definetely look into that software. I have Treo 650 which is a phone & PDA in one. Should be able to handle anything-I also have extra memory in it. Usually I have not had a problem planning-keep everything in notebook & then print out confirmations & tickets. I keep them in order of which I need earlist to the last in a folder. This time just alot to plan-already have my air, event tickets & rent cars in two of the places. Not sure if I need in Phoenix, probably do. I have never used Priceline, but hear alot of good things. The rate I'm paying for rental car probably should try! Thanks for your help-sounds good especially since I like the planning anyway. Hopefully this will put the fun back in that I was starting to lose!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 07:44 PM

I also find "ThoughtManager" (HandsHighSoftware) invaluable, not only for travel, but for everyday life, for keeping all sorts of lists (shopping, itinerary ideas, packing lists, things to check around the house before leaving, you name it). Syncs with PDA.

E-Wallet (IliumSoft) for credit cards, software/hardware registrations, website log-ins, passwords...is sensational and syncs with PDA.

Ultrasoft Money (ultrasoft.com) syncs with MSMoney (etc.) and PDA, and is fabulous for tracking credit card transactions/balances, checking account, etc.

My new favorite is RepliGo. Does an even better job of transferring pdf docs (versus Adobe version) to PDA. Saves a LOT of printing!

How do you like the Treo? I had bad experiences (really bad) with Palm some years ago. But, the model with international calling capability looks quite appealing. My big concern is that I do not mind traveling with a phone and a PDA, but worry that if I lost a Treo somehow, or, more likely that it malfunctioned during the trip, well, I'd be totally lost...
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

I am going to try all of these when I get time. The Treo is so far a good PDA, but not that great for phone. I got because it also handles a huge real estate program for realtors. Probably cancel that for trip.I also carry another phone plus my son has a phone. Have always used Palm, but have brand new $600 HP that I have never used-huge docking stand on that made it bad to carry.Trying to learn how to get my MSN calendar into my Treo-could not even transfer from MSN to desktop version of Treo. May have to put to Outlook first-so I'm just learning with some of this. I commend you-have not had the time until lately. I'll let you know. Anything to get back organized like I used to be!