Reload this Page >

Trip for Mom(49) and son(20)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Ramona Warner

I am trying to plan a trip that me and my son can enjoy. Can anyone give suggestions and/or destinations?

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 01:33 PM
Sam

Ramona, give us some help. How much do you want to spend? Where do you live? Do you want cities? beaches? small towns? big cities?

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 02:26 PM
susan

I took a trip to Hawaii with my son. It was fabulous. We were in Maui, where there was something for everyone. We are now thinking about a trip to Alaska. Any suggestions?

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Amanda

Ramona,
There is a great article in AJC travel section today about a father son trip that you NEED to check out. NYC
http://www.accessatlanta.com/partner...d313e0074.html

New York The mission: A long overdue father-son adventure over spring break. The problem: Where to go? Sam, 14, had sports on the brain, so it was hardly surprising when he suggested a week of attending spring training baseball games in Florida. Dad (that would be me), 45, thought the eighth-grader could enjoy himself while sampling some serious art and culture.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Brian Kilgore

When my father and I(48 - 83) were on a four-day cruise from Florida to nassau, we were seated with a mom/son combo, although older than you.

I'm now a great fan of crusises, although I don't actually take any.

You'd be able to spend time together and apart, share shore trips, the son would have lots of options of things to do, etc.

I do wonder how many other 20 year olds he would meet. Family cruises have lots of youngr kids; and usually the singles crusies are full of people a few years older, at least. And, for sure, you do not want a speing break cruise where you are the only one over 25.

BAK

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 06:50 PM
kate

Hi Ramona - My son is 21 and we took a train trip-what fun! you just need to pick your destination city and voila-great time for long talks, dining, chatting with other passengers.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 10:50 AM
paula

We did a trip to Cancu with our kids - ages 19 and 20. It was ideal. There were lots of other kids hteir age to hook up with, so not all the time had to be spent with "the parents". However, we also did several side trips together which was great fun. We hopped on the local bus for 6 pesos and it took us all along the Cancun area - easy access to restaurants, shops, etc. Good times!!

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Jeanette

What are your interests? What interest do you have in common or would like to have in common? My youngest son and I started when he was around 17 or 18 to go to a different ball park each summer and to check out that city for a weekend. We have done about 6 or 7 totally alone since then and it has grown to become a tradition of sorts. We really both like this and now his or my friends are starting to meet us or join in from the beginning.

Cruises are not my thing as I like to meet the people of the countries I visit a lot more than that, but it may work out really well for this age range etc. Has he always wanted to fish, jetski, parasail, raft, snorkle etc.? I would join in such an activity as beginners with some parity, and help him to experience an opportunity for an activity or place that has featured on his wish list.