Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Trip Advice for Three Week Family Trip to California--too long????

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2003, 04:46 AM
LRK
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to believe, but some people think 3 weeks in CA with two kids (boys, ages 10 & 14) will make my husband and I crazy--i think you can never have too much vacation! Anyway, flying into San Diego, renting a car and flying home from San Francisco. So far, planning 3 nights in San Diego, and 2 nights in Santa Monica. Enough in both places? Where's the next stop--San Luis Obispo? For how long?Then on to Carmel/Monterey/Pacific Grove--how long there? We'd also like to see Yosemite. How does that work into my tentative itinerary? Yosemite, then San Francisco? All help is truly appreciated!
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:29 AM

It's very important to book your accomodations in the Yosemite area well ahead of time because they fill up quickly. I waited too long one year and my family and I wound up staying in Mammoth Lakes, which was beautiful. An extra added bonus came when a local recommended that we visit a real ghost town named Bodie, which was about 50 miles away. The last several miles leading to Bodie are unpaved and you can imagine what it must have been like back in the 1800's. It's run by the state parks department and I highly recommend it. The ride from San Francisco to Yosemite is about 235 miles and it takes about 5 hours. What types of activities are you planning to do in the LA area? That would help determine how long you should stay. There are so many things to stop and see on the ride from San Diego to Yosemite. Santa Barbara, Hearst Castle, Winchester Mystery House, Solvang, and on and on.
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:39 AM
ltt

i don't think 3 days is enough for san diego. i'd spend one day at the zoo, one at sea world and then give the kids at least 2 days just to enjoy the beach. i have had plenty of visitors to san diego and they almost all go home saying that next time they won't plan so many things to do because the kids had the best fun renting boogy boards, rollerblading, exploring tide pools etc.
l.a. i'd spend 3 nights at disneyland and then head out
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:57 AM

Totally agree with Merilee about booking accomodations early in Yosemite. There is so much to see and do in California. I'd suggest the following itinerary.

San Diego: (3 nights) San Diego Zoo, Seaworld, Gaslamp District, and Old Town are some of the main things to see. http://www.sandiego.org/

Santa Monica/LA/Anaheim areas: (4 nights) Disneyland, Hollywood, Getty Center, Universal Studios, etc. http://www.lacvb.com/

San Luis Obispo: (1 night) It's a nice college town and I hear they have a great Farmer's Market. http://www.sanluisobispocounty.com/home.cfm

Cambria: (1 night) It's a perfect place to stop if you plan on touring Hearst Castle, which I highy recommend. Do make reservations in advance for the Hearst Castle tours. www.hearst-castle.org

Monterey/Carmel/Pacific Grove areas: (3 nights) Some of the highlights there include the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Point Lobos, 17 Mile Drive, Fisherman's Wharf, and quaint Carmel. Do stop along the way on route 1 to enjoy the great scenary of the Big Sur Coastline, the most scenic part of the California coast.
www.monterey.com http://www.pacificgrove.org/

San Jose: (2 nights) As Merilee mentioned the Winchester Mystery House is nice, although some people find it touristy, it is nice to see at least once, The Tech Museum of Innovation, Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum, Japanese Gardens, and Big Basin to see the majestic redwoods are some of the highlights in the area. www.sanjose.org
www.bigbasin.org
www.siliconvalley.citysearch.com

SF: (2 nights) GG park, Alcatraz, Pier 39, etc.

Yosemite: (4 nights) There is so much to see in Yosemite. Reserve accomodations ASAP. Try to get a place in the Valley to eliminate a 45 minute drive each way into and out of the park. Definitely take the Galcier Point tour, hike to the base of Yosemite Falls, and do the tram tour of the Valley Floor. www.yosemitepark.com

If you can give us some ideas of what you might like to see and do, we will be able to give you some more information. Hope this helps.
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:02 AM
m367

Some random thoughts --
Solvang -- "shop til you drop"

Boys may enjoy staying in Morro Bay rather than San Luis Obispo. A little more action for kids. South of Morro Bay, Montana de Oro State Park, at the end of the road, you can park your car, and walk along the bluffs. Fantastic coastline.

Yosemite - good ideas listed. Consider leaving by way of Tioga Pass to LeeVining. Do not stay there as there are only a couple of motels, and expensive.

Mono Lake - a short stop at the Visitor's Center. (Nice clean restrooms) Tufas are rather unique.

Ghost Town of Bodie - I think 10 of the 13 miles of road are paved. Bring water! Check out the cemetery too.

Lake Tahoe - Many things to do there. The river rafting trip (float trip) at Tahoe City would be a fun family thing. You can bring your lunch along (in a plastic bag!) and stop along the way. Check out google.

Then pick up 80 and head west - SF and another interesing trip.

Old May 7th, 2003, 08:12 AM

Oh I really like the above trip route. Going from Monterey to Yosemite is not a bad trip so you could change directions there and then see so many great places that M367 merntions. I've been to Mono Lake and Bodie which are totally fascinating. Took our kids 8 & 12 last summer to Mono Lake. Took them to Bodie the year before. Good point about taking water. Stay in Mammoth Lakes and go to see Devils Postpile and Rainbow Falls before going onto Lake Tahoe. We do a week in Tahoe & and a week in Mammoth in the summer. Lots to do in both places.

Old May 7th, 2003, 08:24 AM
m367

I agree with Suzie too -- we have done a week in Mammoth each summer for the past 25 years. Rainbow Falls is fun for kids - (grandkids and grandma) down the rock steps, and jumping over the rocks in the river under the falls! We're at Tahoe frequently too. (Kids live there) Great places!

Old May 7th, 2003, 08:59 AM

This is just a comment about the 3 week trip. I think it sounds great to have that much time together! More families should do this, but I guess we don't usually have a block of time that large in the US. There are several places in the world that I would like to tour for 3 weeks with my husband and kids.

On longer trips with friends and family, we have found it helpful to split up for a day every few days so people can have some down time and explore on their own. For example, 2 go to the SD Zoo, while the other 2 spend the day relaxing, or one parent takes the kids for a day so the other one can have a day to shop, visit oddball places, or just read.
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Skip San Jose.

Yes, I agree with the two previous posters. From Monterey, head east to Yosemite, over Tioga Pass to Mono Lake, Bodie and Lake Tahoe. The rafting trip on the Truckee River is fun and not wild at all. Tahoe also has nice beaches, clear(but cold) water. The boys would probably love the Ponderosa Ranch near Incline Village. Then head back to finish up in San Francisco.
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:09 AM

I would not advise skipping San Jose as there is alot to do in the general area that the kids and adults would like. The Tech is is great. Be sure to catch an IMAX film there too. Big Basin is one of our favorite parks to see the redwoods. The last time we were there we really enjoyed the Egyptian museum. The kids (8 and 12) were fascinated by the mummies and the tomb.
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:09 AM

I agree with the last poster - San Jose isn't really all that interesting. I lived there for 2 years. Some neat stuff to do, but you'd be better off spending more time elsewhere. As for Monterrey/Carmel - that was our absolute favorite area to go to for the day from San Jose. You could do each city in about a day. Carmel is beautiful - lot's of neat little shops and some gorgeous beaches (plus, if you're a golfer, you may want to check out Pebble Beach). Not a whole lot for the kids. Monterrey IS someplace perfect for your kids. Lot's of touristy shops near the aquarium (don't miss it!). Nice parks too.
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Hmm, I used to live in San Jose until I moved because of my job, and never had any trouble finding things to do. I agree with the previous posters that it should not be skipped. In addition the places that already have been mentioned, you should also consider the Almaden Quicksilver mine which is interesting. There are two notable farmer's markets. One in San Pedro Square on Friday's and another in Japantown on Sunday mornings where you can get some of the best produce from the central coast and valley. Also, the raging waters theme park is always a hit on a summer day.
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:43 AM
GoTravel

As a child, my parents took my sister and me to California for three weeks and we had a blast. We spend one week in Southern California and the beaches, one week in the Carmel/San Fransisco area, and one week in Northern California.

Old May 7th, 2003, 09:55 AM

east of SF (in the city of Fairfield - i think) is the Jelly Belly jelly bean factory. They give free tours that are very interesting and fun for kids of all ages, get there early to avoid the crowds.
Old May 7th, 2003, 11:26 AM
LRK
Original Poster

Thanks to all--great suggestions!
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:07 PM

With kids that age you'll definitely want more time in the LA area. The Getty Museum and the Petersen Auto Museum and La Brea Tar Pits one day, Universal Studios and Hollywood Walk of Fame one day, The LA Zoo and either the Natural History Museum or the Will Rogers Western museum one day, and one day for Zuma Beach or a ride up the coast to Carpinteria for a night or two at the "world's safest beach" (no undertow).
Old May 9th, 2003, 05:26 AM
LRK
Original Poster

Thanks joesource--I've booked us into The ShangriLa Hotel in Santa Monica for 2 nights--i guess it should be for at least three nights...Is Santa Monica a good base for seeing the LA sights you've mentioned?
Old May 9th, 2003, 05:53 AM

LRK, I know you are getting a lot of good suggestions but I think you would better serve yourself if you told posters what type of interest you and your family have. I think three weeks is great! It should give you plenty of time to see lots of stuff without really having to rush. But there is enough stuff in California that you could probably fill a two month itinerary if you wanted to. So are you looking for scenic beauty? Amusement parks? Beaches? Museums? Shopping? Maybe a little of everything? Anything that doesn't interest you?
Old May 9th, 2003, 06:58 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The beauty of a three week family vacation in California is that you'll still leave with many things unseen.

That said, in scanning the messages so far (lots of great advice, BTW) I don't see anyone compelling you to visit extreme northern California, namely the Redwood country on the north coast.
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:05 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
...I hate it when that happens - %$#@! "post" button too close to my flying 2 fingers.

As I was saying, seeing the big trees is compulsory in my opinion, and with 3 weeks and a car you have plenty of time to get up there and still leave room for all the other attractions in central and southern California. I don't know where your home is, but I can assure you that your family will not regret seeing these only-here trees. You can be in the groves after an easy 4 or 5 hours north from San Francisco, or you can take the coast road north from SF and make a 3 or 4 day outing of it.

The north coast - misty, rocky, giant trees and fishing boats, will be such a contrast to LA and other places you'll have seen, that you will begin to glimpse the astonishing variety California presents. I can't recommend strongly enough that you add this sub-itinerary to your plans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -