Traverse City, Michigan

Search

Traverse City, Michigan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traverse City, Michigan

We are planning to spend Christmas with our son in Traverse City. What kind of weather can we expect? What is the most important kind of clothing we will need? We are from California, so need to know these things.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:38 AM

You can check historic weather at www.weather.com and www.wunderground.com

Generally, you can expect very cold and snowy, but snow is not guaranteed. Northern Michigan usually, but not always, has a white Christmas. A few years ago we were snowed out from visiting Petoskey just after Christmas because they got 96" of snow in a 3 day period.

I'm not sure what you mean by the most important kind of clothing. You'll need warm clothing and lots of it. If you'll be spending your days and nights indoors, then sweaters and pants will suffice. If you'll be doing outdoor activities, then you'll need boots, warm coat, hat, mittens or gloves and scarf.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 05:21 AM

Pack boots, warm coats, hats, gloves...be prepared for snow. It is generally cold...cold...cold....
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 09:25 AM

I spent Christmas 2008 in Traverse City. It was very cold with lots of ice and snow. As the others have said, you will need a winter jacket, hat, gloves and scarf. You might be able to get by without boots - it depends on what you will be doing.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 10:53 AM

Traverse City has a white Christmas 3 out of 4 years. Lows could be below zero, but are more likely to be around 20 degrees. A fluke high could get up to 50, but I would expect highs to be right around freezing.

The closer you are to the water, the more temperate it will be. It could be 10 degrees colder when you move inland.