Travelling from vegas to Hollywood, Ca.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone out there drove from Vegas to Hollywood for a day trip. If so is a day ok to do this in. I think it's a four hour drive but if I am wrong let me know. Thanks !
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 03:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Figure 4.5 to 5 hours depending on how much commuter traffic you encounter. How much "tourist time" do you want to spend there? Do you expect to be back to LV by 3AM?
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 03:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
it isn't a day trip. If you actually mean Hollywood -- it is a 4 hour drive when there is no traffic. But you will hit traffic somewhere so count on 5 hours each way. 10 hours behind the wheel isn't a day trip IMO.

And if you mean someplace else in the LA area like the beach - it is an even longer drive.
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a four hour drive but if you hit the 9am traffic heading into L.A. it could become a six hour drive. And if you leave Hollywood any earlier than 8pm you have the same problem.

And it depends on the time of year, right now you could hit very windy days or very rainy days when the drive is not so pleasant. Check the San Gabriel Valley traffic/weather reports before you leave Las Vegas.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 04:09 AM

If that's the only way you can swing it - and you really want to see Hollywood - go for it. If you left Vegas around 7 AM - you would arrive at the outskirts of LA around 10ish - and should't have much of a problem getting to Hollywood within the hour.

If you don't make it out by 3 PM or so - suggest you just enjoy it more until say 7 PM or so. Check AM 1070 for radio traffic reports ever few minutes and get yourself an LA freeway map just to be safe.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to Tomsd....you were the only positive in the group of replies I received. I know it's a bit of a drive, but i figured if i am in Nevada, why not check out California too, since I don't mind driving. We will just have to wait and see how the weather is etc. We are going there in early March. Thanks again for the info, and to the others thank you for your comments, it is all being taken into consideration.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 09:02 PM
ltr

Sworl, Can this be done? Yes. Would I recommend it? No. It will take you at least 4.5 hours each way. That is 9 hours out of the day not even including eating or touring Hollywood.

We drive from LA to Las Vegas about 4 times a year. When we leave Las Vegas on a weekday, we usually leave at 8:30AM and arrive near Pasadena at about 1:30. That gives us a 5 minute stop in Baker to pick up baklava, but no other stops, and we are not slow drivers. The drive from LA to Las Vegas is harder because the traffic coming out of downtown LA starts to backup around 3:30 which can add an extra hour onto the drive.

Not sure how many are traveling together,but have you thought about flying to LA for the day instead? There are $88 round trip airfares. You could fly into Burbank and be in Hollywood in 15 minutes by rental car and have the whole day to explore.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 09:09 PM

I would fly over to LA for the day. It is far easier than driving for 9+ hours.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 09:47 PM

Don't necessarily take advice from someone simply because he agrees w/ what you want to do. Agreeing w/ you doesn't necessarily mean it is a good idea. I agree w/ the last two posts -- the ONLY way I'd attempt this is to fly
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 08:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Consider the source.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 08:31 AM

Old Jan 21st, 2014, 08:59 AM

Having just done the southern CA-to-Vegas drive-- and back--, I can tell you confidently:

DON'T DO IT FOR A DAY TRIP. FLY.

Traffic around LA can turn bad at a moment's notice, and you can't count on GPS getting you out of every problem. Our trip bypassed LA entirely, which helped (we also left southern CA on a Sunday, which REALLY helped); however, the trip back hit the first part of LA County rush-hour traffic on Boxing Day, and that really slowed us down (not to mention the steady flow of people hitting the malls to return Xmas gifts).

Any incidents on I-15 between Ontario and the NV state line can add up to horrible delays as well. Bear in mind also that the LA-Vegas trip includes some long climbs up and over mountain passes, so slow-moving trucks can become mobile speed bumps on your way back to Sin City.

Granted, if you drive you can stop in Yermo for lunch at super-kitschy Peggy Sue's Diner. That's kind of fun. But still.... Take my advice. Either skip LA (it's too huge to appreciate in a day's visit), or fly in and out of one of the small, user-friendly airports in the area as a day trip.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 10:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it's a great day trip when FLYING, either. You have to leave your Vegas hotel at least 2 hours before your flight, then it's a one hour flight time if you're on time, then you have transportation to deal with around Burbank/Hollywood. So flying is not a huge timesaver...and even though you eliminate the possibility of getting stuck in a traffic jam, flights can be delayed an hour as well.

And I haven't seen $88 round trips to Burbank for quite some time. It's usually $138 these days, per person, and that's only if you are flying Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday afternoon.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 11:01 AM

I agree - it isn't a good day trip,either way . . . BUT if one just 'had' to try it, flying is the only option that makes even a litte sense.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 11:03 AM

. . . But the OP may not see all our posts since he was validated that it is just a hunky dory plan.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 11:04 AM

No arguments on that-- flying is generally a painful proposition these days (other than to say that if you're staying at the MGM Grand, you're less than 10 minutes up Tropicana from McCarran, and if you're not checking a bag and have minimal carry-ons, security should be very quick).

I personally think that it's folly to interrupt a Vegas vacation for a day trip to LA-- but the OP seems determined to do it, so let's talk about what is feasible and leave undiscussed the question of what is desirable (or whether it's a good idea).
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your input, I am now getting the picture, it is not a good DAY trip, so, will definitely reconsider. Oh well, one day I will get to California, but maybe not on this trip this time. Thanks again to everyone for the information, it really is appreciated.
I considered driving there but spending the night there, but since money is an issue, I was hoping to get a comp at a hotel in California, however, the only Harrah's / Caesars property in California is near San Diego, which I think is a bit of a drive from Hollywood/l.a. I guess it is just not to be. Thanks and bye for now.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 10:45 AM

We've taken turn-around trips to Vegas from LA. The key is to have more than one driver though. You can get a very early start with everyone napping, except the driver, of course. Someone else drives back very late while the 1st driver is able to sleep. If just one driver, don't do it. You won't have enough time in Hollywood to warrant all those hours of driving and, IMO, you'll be a danger to yourself and others on the road.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 01:19 PM

You might look at Mega Bus. They just started serving the Las Vegas-Union Station route.

They have midnight services (eg depart LV 12:30 am arrive Union Station 5:50 am), from Union Station there is Metro Red Line service to Hollywood.

There are similar times for the return.

http://us.megabus.com/

Bolt Bus has also started but has fewer times during the weekdays.

That way you will not be driving.