Travelling around Los Angeles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Los Angeles late July and plan to spend an entire day sightseeing at a number of rock venues and other landmarks etc. I am staying in Venice Beach and want to travel to West Hollywood, Melrose, Beverly Hills and up to Universal City. Is it safe for a female to travel these areas alone during the day? Is it easy to drive (I'm from Australia so realise I would have to negoitate travelling on the 'other' side of the road) or would I be better off taking public transport? I've been told by a couple of fellow Australians that some of these areas aren't so safe but thought I would check with some locals.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 07:39 PM

You will be driving a complex series of freeways that are at times high speed and at times very congested. You will need good maps or preferably a GPS navigator. Day time in the areas you mentioned would be safe for a single female. Public transportation is not a viable option in the greater LA area.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 08:12 PM

Consider visiting the Grammy museum at LA Live if you are interested in music. Also other fun venues, sites, restaurants in the downtown area.

Unfortunately public transit isn't as good as other cities but with some planning it will work for some areas such as downtown to Hollywood. Not sure about transit from Venice Beach, probably need a car.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll do just fine. If millions of us can get around on these freeways certainly others can manage as well.
Those neighborhoods would be considered safe. Venice Beach being the least so at night.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 10:16 PM

If you come up with an exact itinerary or list of places you'll visit, we could probably help u with the bus system. It's slow, but you get a better tour than if you're nervous and driving. And parking and treking back and forth to the parking lots etc is no speedy thing either, so I don't think driving around and parking everywhere is as quick as everyone seems to say, especially when you don't know your way around.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 02:28 AM

I love LA, and I find the surface streets to be extremely interesting and easy to drive, if you are not in a hurry to get from Point A to Point B. But I am always there as a tourist, so I am never in a hurry!

I find it fascinating to see how a street like Pico or Santa Monica Boulevard changes character from mile to mile.

The freeways aren't scary, just busy at rush hours (before 9, then maybe 3-7) but you are going to find driving on the surface even easier. If you miss a turn or can't remember how to make a left turn on the wrong side of the road, you can make four right turns and wind up in the appropriate direction and maybe see a fabulous taco truck in the process.

I was forced off the freeways when I visited right after the Northridge Quake, and it opened my eyes.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help, see attached link to all the places I want to see - hopefully someone can help me with the best way to do this. I don't expect some of these to be open during the day, I just want to see them...

https://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?m...f526d60c&msa=0
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 08:10 PM

I am a female and have been to LA many times alone and have never felt unsafe. There have been a few wrong turns in neighborhoods that look downtrodden but not unsafe.

There is no where on that map I'd worry about.

Go enjoy. Get a car, bring a good audio book in case you get stuck in traffic. Take the side streets once in a while.

You need to know a couple of things about driving in California.

#1 - don't talk or text and drive- it's a no brainer.

#2 - When you need to turn right at a red light. Stop first, look for traffic and you can turn RIGHT even when the light is red. If you don't, people will start honking.

#3 - When you enter a freeway get up to speed as quickly as you can. No one wants to let slow people in traffic.

#4- The #1 lane, all the way towards the middle of the freeway is the Fast Lane. Don't get there if you're not going to go fast.

#5- Don't drive solo in a car pool lane. You'll get a ticket.

anyone else with driving tips?
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 09:04 PM

I have stayed alone at the Inn at Venice Beach a number of times. I don't feel unsafe there ar night.

What hotel at you staying at?
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Staying at Hotel Erwin
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 08:35 AM

Forget public transportation ... you'll have no problem driving and no trouble parking (our parking lots are really big and easy to navigate (I've driven a lot in Australia)) ... definitely take surface sheets. You'll be a lot safer in your own car than standing around waiting for buses, but really the areas you mention are all pretty safe during the day.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 08:38 AM

and from where you're staying you have to take a walk through the beautiful Venice canals
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 08:40 AM

That hotel looks nice. Please report back on it.

What did you decide about having a car?
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you but I've decided not to drive after all. Given I don't drive much here (I mostly ride a bicycle) I think it might be a bit scary in a strange city and I've found that the hop on hop off buses cover mostly where I want to go. Peaceout, I'll let you know how hotel Erwin is. Cheers
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 08:37 AM

Good choice. LA drivers show no mercy!
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 09:13 AM

Good choice! Now you don't have to learn how to make those left-turns-on-red.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 06:52 PM

Why are you staying on Venice Beach? It has some lingering charm maybe but it is scummy and one pot dispensary after another now. I swear you get stoned walking around. The homeless population is huge and I would not walk around alone after dark - especially if you are relying on public transportation. I don't even take tourists there anymore. That hotel doesn't look inexpensive. Have you considered staying somewhere closer to Hollywood? Or, Santa Monica?

Staying closer to the Santa Monica Blvd or Wilshire Blvd bus lines will make traveling by bus much easier.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 09:16 PM

Agreed. I don't think i'd stay there alone. Or if I did, wouldn't venture far from my hotel after dusk.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 04:53 AM

We stayed at the Inn at Venice Beach, close to the boardwalk for one night and right after dinner started calling other hotels to find a new one. After our dinner there was no one left on the street and certainly no beach traffic. We're in our 60s and it was dead to us at only about 10 PM. The Venice boardwalk was lined with marijuana clinics and their strung out clientele when I walked the boardwalk from Santa Monica the next few days.

We got a room at the Holiday Inn right across from the Santa Monica Pier and had a great next few days. It was so centrally located that we could walk everywhere, not sure about public transportation but a hop on and off bus sounds like a great way for you to travel around during the day, and then enjoy the beach area at night.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 10:15 AM

We were just there last week and it took us forever to get from Beverly Hills to Santa Monica Beach even with a local resident driving. Parking was a nightmare too because the lots were so packed and slow to get into.
We tried to eat supper at Venice Beach but it was just too crowded. My cousin-in-law said it reminded him of Tijuana, Mexico, which isn't a compliment. I think it is good to go see in the afternoon but I wouldn't stay there by myself either. The Santa Monica beach was crowded crowded crowded but felt safe. It is good for people-watching but not relaxing on a beach towel. My cousin-in-law goes to more relaxing beaches farther south, like Laguna.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -