Traveling with CPAP (sleep apnea) machine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband recently started using a CPAP (?) machine for sleep apnea. Question: will we run into a problem going thru airport security with the machine in his carry-on bag? Will the security screeners be familiar with this machine?
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 02:06 PM

Many security screeners have limited job experience. It would be safer if you carried an official-looking note from his doctor, much as you would if he had a metallic implant that needed to be explained.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Bri

My husband has used a CPAP for about 10 years, and we have had no trouble taking it on the plane in a cary-on.
They sometimes open it, but they know what it is.
We have taken it all over Europe, Australia, and to Jamica besides here in the U.S. and have never had a problem.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 04:12 PM

No experience taking CPAP or BiPAP machines thru security, but these machines look so "medical" it is hard to imagine even inexperienced security personnel thinking they were anything inappropriate. That said, a note from an MD might not be a bad idea.

Also, many use a three-pronged plug - make sure you bring an adapter and probably an extension cord so you can be sure you can plug it in near the bed. If by chance you are leaving the country, bring electrical convertor/transformer/plug adapter kit.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 05:15 PM

We had no problem flying Southwest from New Orleans to San Diego in late December/early January, 2003 with my husband's new CPAP machine. It went through security very easily as a carry-on - no questions asked and no doctor's statement necessary.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:02 AM

I have taken 35-40 flights with a machine in recent years. A few exams of the machine but the screeners all know what it is. No problems. Taking an extension cord and a bunge cord(to hang the hose so it comes from above the pillow) are wise pecautions.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 10:07 AM

I have a CPAP machine and have had no problems with security. The whole thing just looks medical, so there are few if any questions. You will probably have to open the bag so they can take a look at it, but other than that you should encounter no problems. I've never carried a doctors note for it, and only once did an employee call over a supervisor. I explained to him it was a medical device I needed to sleep with. He checked out the bag, made sure there was nothing else in it, and sent me on my way.

I've had more concerns about my shoes and wrist watches than about my machine!
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.