Reload this Page >

Traveling with a 6 yr old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 10:35 AM
Stephanie

In September of 2001, we will be flying from Ohio to Hawaii with our six-year old son (at that time, he will be close to seven). Any tips for handling the long plane trip and keeping him occupied/entertained?

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 11:06 AM
Cass

Get him physically tired before the flight -- walk around the terminal (run around outside if the airport has safe sidewalks), etc., if you can.

Buy the following new, just for the trip and don't give them to him until either boarding or the announcement of a delay of an hour or more (remember to save half for the return trip):

Hand-held games -- they don't have to be expensive. Books on tape with walkman. A deck of cards to teach him solitaire or get UNO, a perfect game for his age -- but you have to play with him. Low-level puzzle books (mazes, connect-the-dots, etc.) Favorite treats to dole out between meal services.

If he can read a little, it might be time for Dr. Seuss or even some simple comic books. But better, be willing to read to him (Harry Potter is great for both of you) for at least a little while -- use that as a bribe ("if you don't kick the seat and don't fidget, I'll read you Harry Potter after lunch"). Don't worry about bothering others around you -- you'll probably find some listening in.

You might both benefit from some in-seat isometrics to cut down on the fidgets ("point your toes, hard-hard-hard. Now bend your feet up and stretch your heels down toward the floor, hard-hard-hard. Now scrunch up your face, tight-tight. Now shake out your wrists..... Bend your head to the right...." etc.)

You'll probably be astounded at how well he does. Have a great trip.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 11:18 AM
here

Why oh why do we ask the same questions over and over again about kids and flying??? It incites a flurry of answers every time.
Cass:
Maybe I don't care to hear Harry Potter read out loud for 14 hours?

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 11:19 AM
Gary

If he's an avid video game player, Cass' idea above might be enough, along with the card games. You might, a month or so before the flight, want to telephone the airline and ask for a bulkhead seat--gives all of you more room. See if you can get him a window seat while you're at it; he might better enjoy the scenic over-land portion of the flight.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 11:54 AM
Cass

Dear HereWeGo--

Try not to fly to Hawaii from Ohio in September 2001.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 12:07 PM
Marina

Having just endured a long plane ride near several screaming, loud, illbehaved children, have some consideration and do not assume everybody in the world is interested in hearing you read to your child. They are not, and it is selfish for people to think so--the attitude expressed above, "don't worry about bothering others" says it all--people are so rude and self-centered. A plane is a public place and you don't have the right to act like it's your personal living room and that you can do whatever you want without a single thought as to whether you are bothering others. Reading aloud is just as obnoxious as if an adult sitting next to you decided to read his book or magazine aloud. Some tapes or games that do not create noise sound fine.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 12:23 PM
Allan

Marina:

I think I'd much prefer hearing a mother read to her child than any of the following too-often-heard occurrances:

1. Two arrogant, "successful," professionals discussing anything--from stock market results to career moves.
2. Male passenger pathetically flirting with a flight attendant, or, worse, with an adjacent female passenger.
3. Two passengers loudly opining about politics.
4. An announcement that the aircraft miraculously has reached its cruising altitude and that in three minutes will be passing over the southern edge of the a harvested corn field and just north of the boyhood home of Horace Greeley.
5. Uproarious laughter just after three tourist/passengers have finished their fifth overpriced cocktail.
6. "SIR: PUT UP YOUR SEATBACK!"

Get a grip.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 12:57 PM
Ess

I'm not crazy about screaming, ill-behaved children either. But it's unreasonable to expect a child, or an adult for that matter, to sit on such a long flight without getting the fidgets. A child is entitled to be part of the human race. I've been flying since I was six years old. I remember always having a shopping bag of books, cards, etc. to help pass the time. It can be done, and it doesn't have to be overly disruptive to other passengers - that's up to the parents!

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 04:45 PM
Jace

More spoiled brats masquerading as indignant adult passengers, jumping all over the whole issue of children traveling. Another example of the epidemic of hypocrisy in which the accusers are more guilty of the crime than the accused. Self-centered, Marina? You provide an excellent example.

Cass never suggested that Stephanie read for an entire 14 hr. trip (they won't even be in the air that long). And anyone who regularly reads to their children knows that one can rarely read for as much as 1/2 hr. without tiring or getting dry-throated. Frankly, I agree with Allen, having actually heard a mother reading to a child sitting behind me -- the child stopped kicking my seat and the mother's voice was very pleasant -- it put me pleasantly to sleep. I'll take that anytime over "jeez, I got so wasted on Saturday," or "so then Stacy goes, she goes -- I couldn't believe it -- Stacy goes, EEEEeeuw, as IF! How ROOOD!"

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 07:01 PM
Armstrong Wong

I enjoy reading every message posted here. It represents the honest feeling of writers with respect to child traveling. In particular, Marina reminds me that perhaps not everyone on the plane appreciates and support child travel. Most importantly, none of your valuable opinions can be found in any travel books. Of course, I'll read books and tourist brochures to my sons in my coming trip, and I hope my sons won't mind their father's voice.

Armstrong

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 04:13 AM
AC

Hi:
Can anyone tell me more about those hand-held games i.e GAMEBOY--the last transatlantic flight I was on two little boys sitting across from me were told they could not use them. They were disappointed as were their parents. The flight attendants let them use them only while we were on the ground. Upon take-off they had to be turned off and left off. 8-10 year old boys are tough to keep occupied in general..now with no GAMEBOY they were especially bored. Can someone enlighten me?

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 06:30 AM
Cindy

I think reading to kids on planes is fine, but as with anything, you have to keep your voice down.

But I have to object to those game boy things. On a recent flight, a 10-year old boy had one and the thing pinged and ponged for what seemed like an eternity. It drove me completely wild. Kind of like fingernails on a blackboard. I didn't want to be a witch, so I kept quiet, but I think bringing a deck of cards or mini-board game is a far better solution.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 07:15 AM
Gary

AC:

Are you sure about that? I think the games are off on the ground, okay in the air--just like laptops. Cindy: the games have a mute button; too bad the kid's parent didn't make him use it. I think anyone under thirteen is oblivious to the sounds, especially while they are playing the game. Still, it's a guaranteed time-killer for a kid.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 03:33 PM
pnk

kids should be ban from flights of 2hrs or longer but should really be driven to vacation points,if you can't drive there than go without them or wait til they are grown. kids should be seen & not heard but preferably not even seen on an airplane.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 04:45 PM
Tsk

Another literate, reasoned contribution to the discussion.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 08:29 PM
kids

Finally, someone had the guts to suggest that kids should be banned from long flights. Good grief, why do today's parents feel so compelled to make sure that their children learn about other places and people? I mean, so what if kids who travel learn about their world and cultures other than their own? Geez, they might grow up to responsible, contributing citizens. By God, what's important is that every airline passenger have nothing less than a pleasant flight without the obnoxious background noise of some inconsiderate mother reading Mother Goose. Give me the loud, demanding, space-hogging adult passenger over a child any day. Who knows, once we're successful getting kids banned from all flights, then maybe we can make it mandatory for anyone 65 or older to check into the local nursing home; then we'll conquer all those whiners
who complain about second-hand smoke; and maybe, just maybe, if we're really on a roll, we'll get public education banned and save tax payers a bundle.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 09:22 PM
Slugger

Hey "Kids" -

Way to go--you hit that one out of the park!

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 04:42 AM
AC

Hi:
The hand held games that these two boys had been using on the ground went away for the duration of the flight. I was sitting next to two really disappointed kids and parents who were just as disappointed. Yet there was a young woman next to me using a lap top computer to play games. I was really confused and felt bad for these young fellows.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 05:03 AM
Armstrong Wong

To kids ([email protected]),

I find your comment regretable. Just imagine if you were allowed to return to your early childhood now, would it have been far better off if your parents took you to Boston, Monterey, San Jose, Washington DC, Grand Canyon, Miami, London, Montreal,...etc? Whether the travel would enhance your life, you decide.

Instead of total banning, you should be honest and frank with those ill-behaved children's parents by telling them your feeling. Before detroying the children's freedom to explore the world, have you exercised your own human right to exchange your own discontent with the children in question?

Thanks for your very kind understanding.

Armstrong

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 05:26 AM
Huh?

Armstrong-

Read kid's comment again. He or she was making a statement about the ridiculousness of banning children from flight; not advocating in favor of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -