Reload this Page >

Traveling with 4 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Lynn

I have been to honolulu 3 times without children. It will be my first time with my son. Are there are special activites at any of the hotels for children? We are staying at the Princess Kalani.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 12:20 PM

anyone?

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 01:03 PM
:>)

I was given some very helpful advice a month or so ago when I asked about taking my 3 year old daughter to Hawaii. I will cut and paste the message and will enter it as a seperate post.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Here it is...

honolulu:

--sea life park. it's about 15 minutes past waikiki on the eastern coast, w/ entertaining performances aimed at kids and featuring dolphins, a wholphin (killer whale-dolphin born at sea life park), penguins, sea lions. kids can also buy trays of raw fish to throw to sea lions and watch a scuba diver in the reef tank hand-feeding manta rays who 'dance' w/ him. the kids were so excited they ran from site to site. admission was $25 for adults and $12.50 for kids.

--hawaii nature center. very low key non-profit just uphill from downtown in makiki. they sell explorer kits for meadow and stream, w/ nets for catching insects and fishes and plastic cages for kids to view their specimens before releasing them. u can wade in the small stream w/ a bamboo fishing pole and bait (included in explorer kit) and a small net, fishing for little shrimp, prawns and guppies. free admission.

--hanauma bay, near sea life park. this is a nature preserve where fish are protected. u can wade into calm waters and at knee-level see fish swimming all around. my kids liked the fishes but loved building their sand castle. masks and snorkels avlbl for rental. $3 for adults, $1 per car.

--while my schedule cdn't accommodate these, kid-oriented reef walks, nature walks and hikes are often featured in the weekly goings-on schedules in the local papers.

--shave ice. the local version of snow cones is very popular. it comes in a paper cone w/ varieties of flavored syrups and extras, like ice cream or sweet beans at the bottom and condensed milk on top.

--polynesian cultural center. this is a 1 1/2-hr drive to the north shore and another hour and a half back. it features 7 'villages' representing hawaii, tahiti, samoa, tonga, new zealand and other places in the pacific, w/ frequent shows highlighting traditions and crafts. my kids loved the samoa show, featuring a natural comedian who made fire, husked a coconut in 3 seconds and shimmied up a coconut tree. kid-oriented demonstrations ard the center teach pole-fishing, spear-throwing, fire-making etc. a pageant of canoes featuring music, dancers and warriors from each place is held every afternoon. u'll need water and an umbrella against the sun.

big island -- lots to do ard the volcano, of course, including helicopter trips to see the activity; and akaka falls north of hilo is a beautiful short hike on a paved path. on the way back to hilo, at pepeekeo, is a 20-minute scenic drive down to the coast that has gorgeous views of ocean cliffs.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 04:14 AM
To the top