Traveling to Mt Airy N.C.

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling to Mt Airy N.C.

I will be headed to Mt Airy area the first of Oct can anyone tell me what to see in the area, good places to eat and nice campgrounds.

Thank-you
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Well, come on down. We have campgrounds at Pilot Mountain State Park and Homefolks off 268. The area has the largest open face granite quarry in the US. Ok, sounds wierd, but it is worth a look. Mt. Airy is the birthplace of Andy Griffith (and Donna Fargo) and have a number of sites related to the tv show (watch a few reruns on TVLand to get in the mood). The Blue Ridge Parkway is about a twenty minute drive away. Excellent hiking opportunities are there. Also we have Stone Mountain State Park, Pilot Mountain State Park and Hanging Rock State Park fairly close by. All are excellent hiking venues. About thirty minutes from Mt. Airy you can get on the New River Trail State Park in Galax, Virginia and have a great bike ride, should be beautiful about that time. If you need to rent a bike call the park office and they will be able to help you out. There is also camping along the trail, my favorite area is Creekside. There are some good wineries in the area, my favorite is Sheltons, just off I-77 from VA or off 601 coming from Mt.Airy.
One of the best historical recreations in the USA is Old Salem in Winston Salem which is about a forty five minute drive from Mt.Airy. I strongly recommend at least one day there. Eat at the Tavern, it is quite good.
Restaurants in Mt. Airy and nearby:
Goobers 52, casual, great milkshakes, burgers, oysters, shrimp, sandwiches, and full dinners.
Midkiffs, casual dining in Mt Airy (oh, music in the evenings and readings at the Good Life Cafe which is upstairs from Midkiffs)
Sheltons Winery has a restaurant open for lunch every day, dinner only on weekends.
Wolf's Lair restaurant at the Black Wolf winery on 601 offers lunch and dinner. A bit more dressy, but nothing in this area is jacket required.

There are lots of bbq joints around. I don't eat the stuff, but my husband gorges on it and tells me Little Richard's in Elkin and Winston Salem is a good choice.

Our apples are wonderful. Stop at Levering Orchard on Ward's Gap Road just off US 52N from Mt. Airy and across the VA line.

See www.visitmayberry.com for all the addresses and specs on a visit to Mt.Airy.

Glad to hear you will be visiting. Genuinely friendly place to be!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 12:22 PM

ttt for OP
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 05:33 PM

I completely forgot the quintessential Mt. Airy experience. Have a pork chop sandwich at Snappy Lunch. They are simply amazing.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank-you for all the wonderful information. Will be down there ion the 1st of October.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 05:12 AM

The weather should be lovely. A bit ahead of the fall color; but, perfect for hiking and biking.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Visit the wine tasting room right on Main St. in Mt. Airy, I believe they serve dinner also.