Traveling to Maui next week

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Maui staying at the Westin Villas for two weeks. Any suggestions on where to buy beach chairs and umbrellas. I refuse to pay the price hotels ask daily and also will be heading out to different beaches and definitely need protection from the sun. Any suggestions on where is the best place to shop for groceries?
Also, any good suggestions on hiking. We aren't strong hikers, but are looking for something about 2-3 miles, waterfalls are always fun to end up with on a hike. We are thinking of doing the 1/2 day hike with Hike Maui. Anyone have comments on this?
I've got lots of good ideas from this website and appreciate the opinions.
Aloha!
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 09:27 PM

There is a Costco and a Walmart located near the airport, so either might be a good place to pick up beach chairs.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 12:24 AM

Hi J& J,

In addition to above suggestion from Sightseer, there should be items you require at Longs Drugs and/or Safeway on the road as you head to the Westin Villas. It's on the left (ocean side) side as you head north through Lahaina, in shoppng center called Lahaina Cannery Mall. I also used that Safeway for groceries. Used to be open 24 hours--not sure if that's still so. If you don't already ahve a Safeway Card, you can get it (fre) there, and save some $$.
There's also a big, beautifully stocked supermarket (can't recall name) in shopping center nr intersection of Honoapiilani Hwy (the main road ) and Lower Honoapiilani Rd, which is near the Westin Villas.

For a lovely but easy and short hike, it's an easy drive via Wailuku to Iao Valley.

Another idea: Heading north from the Westin--past Kapalua-- the highway becomes a narrow road. Follow that all the way 'round(this'll makes more sense on a map) for a wonderful country drive around the ocean boundaries of West Maui, through the village of Kahakuloa. Stop at the roadside stands there. It's less than an hour's drive, but a world away, from the area where you'll be staying.
I recently returned from Westin Villas on St John. Everything was great--beautifully run. Good wishes for a similar experience for you two!
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 01:06 AM

CaliNurse: Are you thinking of Star Market?

There is also a Walmart in Kahului. Pick them up on the way from the airport.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 01:07 AM

Oops, I now see that the WM was mentioned already.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Mahalo for the information. We're packing our bags and heading out Saturday. CaliNurse.......so glad you mentioned enjoying the Westin in St John as we have thought of going there as a Westin timeshare owner, but some of the responses on tripadvisor.com make it sound like a nightmare. Aloha!