Traveling through Georgia

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveling through Georgia--On our way to Disney with the family--looking for a good "family" place to lay our heads for the night--Safe place with maybe a good restaurant nearby and maybe a good pool for the kids to take a dip. Any suggestions would be great!!

TypesAlot--NC
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:39 AM

Could you be more specific? e.g. which route will you be using?
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:27 AM

If you are heading south on I 75. just get south of Atlanta so you are within a day's drive to Disney. There are towns spaced about 30 -40 minutes apart with lots of hotel options, restaurants, hotel pool and all are safe. Really. Macon, Tifton, Perry, Valdosta, etc.

I'm not sure where you are in NC and what route you plan to take. Play around with mapquest.com and see about how far you'll get befor you need to lay your heads and let us know.
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:53 AM

Since we drive south on I95, we always stop in Savannah. This is also a sentimental choice for us because Savannah was our first home after we were married, and our oldest daughter was born there. After riding all day, its really enjoyable to stroll in the squares, get ice cream and sample pralines on River Street, and just relax. Since our daughters are Girl Scouts, we try to visit the Juliet Lowe birthplace, too. Then we drop the kids at the hotel with a pizza(oldest daughter is now a teenager and can babysit), and head to Pearl's Elegant Pelican, one of our old favorites, for dinner. Don't know if this would work for you, but it sure does bring back memories for me.

Have a great trip!

Old May 19th, 2005, 05:28 AM

As starrsville suggested Tifton I can attest to the Holiday Inn there - we spent the night on our way to Destin last year....was decent, had a nice pool and breakfast came with the room and was actually a buffet, not a cold bagel. The Miss Georgia Forestry competition was going on in town that weekend...lots of contestants were staying there...had a great time people-watching!
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:02 AM
bamakelly

I've stayed in almost all of the towns Starrsville recommended on my way to/from Florida. Valdosta was a halfway point for us, but we stayed most often in Macon. We usually stayed at a Country Inn and Suites--very clean and very safe. Hampton Inn was also fine. All of these cities have clean, reasonable, safe lodging in big gropus just off the interstate with plenty of restaurant choices nearby. We never worried about it because it was always a decent experience for a stopover.

Old May 19th, 2005, 08:12 AM

My favorite stop in a drive southward from Alabama or Georgia is Thomasville, Georgia. It has a quaint downtown area, a beautiful courthouse, and a lot of friendly people. I stay in the Hampton Inn which is just off highway 84 just outside of Thomasville, and we always go into the town to eat. We also love to eat at one of the best informal buffet-style seafood restaurants I've ever been to, just diagonally across the intersection where Hampton Inn is located. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the place, but it alone is worth the overnight as far as I'm concerned. They keep bringing out all kinds of seafood, freshly and beautifully cooked, along with a good selection of vegetables, and for one price you can eat all you can hold. If you go, just ask the folks at the Hampton Inn -- they will know the place because it's primarily used by locals plus a few passers-by. Good luck.
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:19 AM

Thomasville is a lovely town and well worth a visit but it would be out of the way if you are taking I-75 to Orlando.

Wayne, are you talking about Brantleys? The Farmers Market restaurant is another one you should try.