Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

traveling new england without reservations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 12:38 PM
pat

is it possible to tour new england this month, july, without reservations? have never done this before, but would like to visit boston, cape ann, salem, coastal maine, vermont , and new hampshire. do you think this is possible? thank you for your help.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 01:01 PM
em

Its is totally feasible assuming you are not picky about where you stay and have a flexible budget. The last 2 wkends in July are camp visiting wkend and you may have trouble in Maine and Vermont at those times (but even then if you are willing to stay 20 miles from your destination you will find something at a larger motel). The explorer book series covers each state --iow, a bk per state.
Excellent info.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 04:35 PM
dave

well, it's peak season, so if you want to stay in the nicer places you'd better make reservations. Of all the areas you mentioned, Maine, at least on the coast, may be the hardest to find lodging w/o a reservation.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 04:38 AM
Meg

Pat, I can't speak about the other areas, but in Vermont during mid-week you shouldn't have too much of a problem. You might have to go to 2-3 different inns/hotels to find availability, but if one inn is booked they will generally recommend another place or the local chambers of commerce should be able to help you. On weekends I would recommend reservations - just so you don't waste valuable vacation time looking for a place to stay and end up with some hotel way away from where you want to be. Have a great time!

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 04:54 AM
Howard

I agree with the previous poster. You'll probably has a tough time finding weekend accommodations at the areas you mentioned on weekends. Further, I doubt if many places would book you just for one weekend night.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Sam

We traveled there 2 years ago and found that by early afternoon, we had trouble finding a hotel. It took us 3 more stops and quite a few more miles and we were getting pretty tired, so plan where you'll be that night and book early am. Cheers!

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 05:22 AM
paula

You would definitely need reservations for the Cape this time of year - no question. There are probably very few rooms left on the Cape at this time in July!