Reload this Page >

Traveling from key largo north

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Wayne

First time this area can anyone suggest don't miss spots driving from key largo north to Cocoa beach area. Any route better than another etc.
Thanks Wayne

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 06:23 PM
George

When you leave Key Largo, don't bear left on what they call the 18-mile stretch (Rte. 1.) Instead, go straaight for a few miles till you come to Card Sound Road, on your left. Take it, and you'll come to a toll-bridge (immortalized by Carl Hiassen in one of his earliest books as the bridge on which Skink tied himself to face the hurricane.) Just across the bridge on the left is Alabama Jack's. Absolutely one of the Keys' great bars!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Donna

I second the recommendation for Card Sound. If Rt 1 is jammed Card Sound usually is not, its a little longer but no traffic jams, and much more scenic. You can take it to Rt 1 (through Florida City) then to the Turnpike, in my opinion the Turnpike is the best way to get to Cocoa Beach.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Donna

OOPPS! at some point you will have to hop over to 95N to get to Cocoa Beach.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 03:14 AM
Larry

I will also suggest Card Sound Road, although except for going over the bridge and the shanty town near Alabama Jack's there's really nothing scenic about it. Then take the turnpike up to the Jupiter exit (this will help you avoid most of the Dade/Broward/Palm Beach county I95 traffic nightmare). The Jupiter Exit of the Florida Turnpike is pretty much right next to the I95 interchange, so just hop on the interstate until the Cocoa Beach exit. Another option (normally) would be to get off 95 around Vero Beach and drive up A1A (along the beach). Certainly longer than taking 95 all the way but more interesting. I say normally because I think there was a closure of A1A around Patrick AFB because of 911, maybe somebody could chime in on if it is still in effect.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 05:50 AM
rob

there's lots of stuff between largo and cocoa.....depends on what you find interesting. miami zoo?? biscayne national park??? lion country safari?? if you don't find any distractions in the miami area go around it by taking the turnpike and then jumping on I-95 later. if you have time to kill ,the vero beach/A1A suggestion is good. and yes ..A1A has re-opened in front of the air force base.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 02:25 PM
Wayne

Thanks a lot all really helps especially if I can avoid the major traffic. Thanks again
Wayne and Tami