Travel to NY in wartime?

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:06 PM
arc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel to NY in wartime?

Myself and my daughter have a trip planned to NY 3/20-24. Now that war is imminent, my husband suggests that maybe this is not a good time to go. I'm feeling that even if something happens here, it would not be this week. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:19 PM

My wife and I are planning our 5th anniversary weekend in NYC (3/28-3/30). She expressed similar concerns, but we mutually decided that we are going to live our lives and not let fear dictate what we do.

My plan is to show up in New York and spend a bunch of cash. Hopefully, I'm doing my part for the city and the economy.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:20 PM

We are still here! all week too.
No word of anything happening here.
If you start worrying about which State in the US to go to that would be safest, you will worry yourself into a nubbin!
If you stay home, what if it is the state you live in??
War is immenent but in Iraq.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:27 PM
RnRvR

I'm kinda feeling a little like a nubbin actually. Can't help it!

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 01:30 PM

I live here and I'm not worrying. My kids will still go to school. I will still go to work. Life will still go on. NYPD is beefing up patrols in the area. I think this is a decision that you have to make.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 01:47 PM

I'm going to NYC on business the last week of March. My business partner and I have lightly debated about changing our plans since so many friends and family seem concerned. However, we also agree that we can't live our lives in fear, so we're sticking with our plans. Now, if the there were a travel warning issued, that might be another story.

Good luck to all.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 01:56 PM

I live within a few blocks of the Brooklyn Bridge - a so-called "major target". Am I afraid? Nope.

You're talking about coming here three days from now. Do you think that IF there is any retaliation it will happen that soon...and on our soil? I think you have more chance of getting hurt in an anti-war demonstration.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 03:51 PM

You have a better chance of getting hurt or killed driving down the road to your local grocery store than you do being in New York for a few days at the start of a war. Come to New York and have a good time. There are 8 million of us here, we're not going anywhere and you're welcome to join us for a few days or longer if you'd like.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 04:39 PM
LxJ

Four of us are still going forward with our plans of visiting from Atlanta this Thursday through Monday. We will not allow terrorists to dictate our plans. See you in three days ! ! ! Hope the weather stays warm.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 05:37 PM

Don't cancel your trip, continue with your life. I wouldn't cancel even if war does break out this weekend. Have a great time!
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 05:37 PM
arc
Original Poster

Hey JohnK, you're not kidding. It was ironic that I got your response today. Just after posting this question I thought that myself and 2 of my kids were going to be killed by a "road rager" about 1/2 mile from my house. We were at a 4-way stop & he thought it was HIS turn to go! Now I just want to get out of here. Hopefully I won't meet up with such a lunatic in Manhattan!
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 05:44 PM

arc, actually there are a few lunatics like that in NYC but they all drive yellow cars so you can be aware of them
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 09:56 PM

Since it seems so many of us (well I live here, lol) are going to be in the city over the next couple of weeks anyone want to meet up for a drink or a burger at say .....America? The restaurant is located on 18th St between Broadway and 5th Ave. It's a large restaurant, decent food, good drinks and well priced. We could take up a big table and enjoy each other's company.

Might be fun to meet up. I'd be happy to do a little tour of the city, or some shopping tips. Also that area has some great shops, like ABC Carpet, and Daffys.

Let me know if anyone is interested.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 05:00 AM

I'd be game, but being there on business have a very tight schedule and won't be able to fit it in. Perhaps next time? Thanks for the offer, though, wantsomesun.

Old Mar 18th, 2003, 05:06 AM

What a nice invitation. We probably won't have time since we'll be seeing family as well as having a little private time...

My mouth is already watering for the filet I am going to have at Smith and Wollensky.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 10:32 AM

Think about it this way. You have a greater chance of dying in an automobile accident than a terrorist act. Will you stop driving?

I was in Times Square this morning and despite the overhanging fear or war and terrorism, I still thought to myself that New York is the greatest city in the world and I would not deny myself the pleasure of being here.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 03:20 PM

I agree that NY is a great city; we are scheduled to go in April. However, the question is whether you can enjoy yourself if combat planes are flying overhead, people are nervous walking by tourist sites, and there is a need to have police guarding hotels etc. etc. Not sure those are the best circumstances for a "vacation."
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 03:36 PM

Funny, I was taking a walk by my office at lunch, thinking about terrorism, and almost got hit by a car not stopping at a crosswalk.

Old Mar 19th, 2003, 12:02 AM

Wantsomesun. Nice friendly offer - too bad we won't be there until the last two weeks of May. Hopefully United will still be flying, or we may have to walk across the Country ;-)

Old Mar 19th, 2003, 04:37 AM

With all the increased security and police presence, you are probably safer in NYC than anywhere else in the world right now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -