Reload this Page >

Travel insurance? Advise

Search

Travel insurance? Advise

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 08:22 PM
Linda

Travel insurance? Advise

I booked a vacation for November, before this all happened and turned down travel insurance. Can I, or should I still get it just incase. I guess I don't even know what it insures. Please help if you know anything on this. thank you

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 10:16 PM
freewoman

I never book a trip without the insurance. The cost is very minimal compared to what you can lose. For instance, in March of 2000 I booked a trip for myself, my husband, his mother and our daughter to go to Kauai for Christtmas. In August my husband decided he wanted a divorce. Because I had trip insurance, I was able to cancel him and his mother out of the trip and take someone else. If I had not boughts the trip insurance, I would have lost what I paid for their trips. I think the insurance for that trip was only $69 per person. You never know what can happen so it just makes sense to go ahead and buy it. I think it has to be taken out when you book, but you have nothing to lose to call your travel agent or the tour company you booked through and ask.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 08:16 AM
Terri

Does travel insurance cover war/terrorism? I heard that it does not which is ridiculous!

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 08:40 AM
Linda

Travel ins. does not cover acts of war or terrorism so it won't do much good in these circumstances. You need to read the fine print very carefully, there are a lot of exclusions in most policies.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Faina

It's a good idea to call you medical insurance company to check if you're covered. My son went to Germany and got admitted to a hospital there, good I've checked beforehand that our medical coverage is worldwide! We got reimbursed for 100% of his expenses there.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Jode

I have to disagree with the post by Linda stating that travel insurance does not cover "acts of terrorism". We took out a policy for a planned trip in November and it clearly states that we are covered for "terrorism". It absolutely does depend on the policy but our policy was only $49 per person and I would imagine that there are other insurances out there that cover "terrorism" (of course in light of recent events future policies may not cover it).