Search

Travel insurance

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel insurance

I have a AAA trip assist travel insurance brochure. Do many people take insurance out and is this a good outfit?
Would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Go to insuremytrip.com and a variety of quotes will come up. As the saying goes, ins. isn't a good investment unless you need it! Last week we came home 2 weeks early from a planned 5 week ski trip to CO. My husband was hit by another skier and sustained 25 fractures in his face, including nose, eye sockets, upper jaw and all his sinuses. I had insured the trip and the co. immediately sent me claim forms. Hopefully, I will be reimbursed for the 2 weeks in the condo we didn't use, the fee to change the plane tickets and mostly LOTS of medical bills after our health ins. pays its share. I figure we could have $50,000 in out of pocket medical expenses bcs Denver is out of our network. The trip ins came with $50,000 in medical coverage. We'll see if I can collect! Anyway, I have always insured long distance, expensive trips and have collected once b4 bcs of cancellation due to illness. Just consider what your needs are for your trip and then make a decision.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
irishswampyankee,
WOW! I hope your husband makes a full and quick recovery.
As you said, things happen that you never expect.
We also always take the insurance.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 03:38 PM

Sending good wishes for recovery to irishswampyankee's hubby -

We always get trip insurance, I know plenty who never have - but my feeling is the one time I need it, like irish said, I'll be glad if I do have it. On one hand, I'd hate to add up what we've spent over the past 27 years of traveling and insuring most trips (I don't bother with long weekends, etc but just the larger trips) - but I like the peace of mind, for me anyway.

We have an annual ($100) travel coverage thru Amex that covers medical only, so that takes care of the medical part - it includes med bills, evacuation, and my fav part - since we have kids who also travel a good deal - will cover flying one other family member to them wherever they are if need be if they are hospitalized or injured.

We cover the trip parts (plane/lost baggage/delayed baggage/hotels/ trip cancellation or having to cut short for family emergencies through AccessAmerica via Amex - don't know if they provide coverage if not an Amex card holder - but for a recent 3 week vacation, it was $400. So, I now have 400 less in my pocket, but it was worth not worrying to me - but I guess I never forget my girl scout motto of always being prepared!

I would just read the offer carefully, I've heard people say some will list medi-vac, but then also a bunch of contingencies that mean they'd rarely follow through.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 09:16 AM

I have a question about the travel insurance too. If I insure my trip and I have to cancel it, what happens to the airline tickets? Let's say that my trip is worth $2000 total for 2 people, $500 for air and $500 for hotel each. So if we have to cancel due to emergency illness then I should call and cancel my flights and notify the hotel.

Our tickets are non-refundable and issued in our names. If I am reimbursed by the insurance company then what happens to my airline ticket? Do I still own it and pay the fee to re-issue the ticket for another trip or do I have to turn the ticket over to the insurance?
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Well, I can't speak to all insurances, but in the past, when I would sell travel insurance, you could not keep the unused airline ticket. If you were to be paid, that ticket had to go to the insurer. On the other hand, I know of some companies that will not reimburse you for the ticket cost; they will reimburse you only for the change/penalty fees and you keep the ticket. I've heard rumors that some companies today will not even insure the ticket against cancellation; that is not included in the policy.

With that said, you can insure your trip and exclude the airline portion since it would be cheaper and if something happened, you'd have the tickets for future travel.

Be careful and read the entire contract so you know exactly what you're paying for.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Neopolitan

After years of travel and never buying any travel insurance, I suppose one day I'll have a problem and it will end up costing me maybe a thousand or more dollars for things I wouldn't be able to cancel or get a refund for. Guess I'll just use a fraction of the money I saved over the years by not buying travel insurance to pay for it.

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 11:02 AM

Thanks for all that replied to my questions after reviewing my options, I have decided not to get the insurance. I will give a brief explanation as an attempt to help others. We purchased r/t first class seats on Delta but they are non-refundable. When I called Delta I was told that if we did not use our tickets in Sept 2006, then we will have until Dec 28th 2006 to rebook and that we will have until Nov 2007 (I forgot the actual date) to travel.

As for the hotel, we have until 3 days prior to our check-in date to cancel our reservations without paying the one nights cancelation fee.

This will work for us because we have booked our air and hotel seperate. So I will not pay the extra money for the travel insurance and have a nice romantic dinner in Hawaii instead.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 08:40 AM

I have purchased Delta tickets (coach, non refundable), through a travel agent. As we all know that Delta has filed bankruptcy, and that there is a possible pilot strike next month,

Just in case Delta quits flying,or cancells my flights, do most travel insurance policies include refunds for these tickets?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:17 AM

nancy--policies differ. You must read the fine print for any policy you are considering.