Travel In A Truck?

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 09:22 AM
GoTravel

Travel In A Truck?

Does anyone have any experience traveling by pickup truck instead of a car? Mr.GoTravel and I blow up and down I-95 on a regular basis from SC to South Florida and I was wondering how they travel.

I'm looking at the Lincoln Mark LT Pickup truck if that matters.

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My daughter and son-in-law just traveled cross country in a Ford F-150 and had a great time.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 10:52 AM
KMK

My husband and I traveled from Ohio to Florida in an F-250 SuperDuty, and also from Ohio to Utah. Honestly, I think different trucks will handle differently (and better); the SuperDuty is not exactly noted for fine handling or a luxurious ride! Plus, it's bigger than an F-150, so I didn't enjoy parking it or maneuvering in small spaces, but my husband didn't seem to mind that.

However, with split seats (a must for long travel, but I'm sure standard on a Lincoln!), both passenger and driver can ride in reasonable comfort. Consider space for luggage if traveling; an extended cab is probably fine. We didn't have that, so we added one of those lockable cargo/tool boxes; worked fine.

On the road, you do get a great view of traffic. Gas mileage is of course dependent on your specific vehicle. Comfort-wise, I don't think (again depending on the models compared) that it is much worse than most SUVs.

After 2 trips in the truck, we later bought a minivan for traveling; in my opinion, that is the best, most comfortable, great storage space, decent gas mileage, for traveling.

But, the pickup wasn't horrible, and if you need a pickup in your life for other reasons, it's not a terrible compromise.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 11:18 AM
GoTravel

No, I have no reason for wanting a pickup other than I think they are cool and it is time to trade in my car.

I'd get a duely but that would be completely ridiculous as I have absolutely nothing to haul with the thing.

Can't decide what I want.

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 08:08 PM

Unless you have something to haul, there's little reason for a pickup truck. I had bicycles & a motorcycle. I also had a tent that went over the bed, so it was good for camping .... water had to be about 2 feet high before the inside of the tent was going to get wet!!

Here's an added bonus you get with a truck: everyone you know who is moving or purchasing/selling some large item will ask your help. Practice saying "no" now.

My brother went to FL with kids in the back of the truck (had a cap) and now laughs about the kids' (now grown) poor sense of direction on the fact that they saw everything backwards. Of course these days no one allows kids in the back of a p/u anymore.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 08:14 PM

I want a truck sometimes when I am on the highway in my small sports car and some jerk is driving on my bumper..
But then the fun of zipping in and out of traffic and speeding around turns makes up for it
Zzzzzooooommmmmm~ Scarlett
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 08:19 PM

Try renting or borrowing one to drive for a while. I agree that if you don't need to haul stuff, there are better choices. In years past I did a lot of camping from a p/u with a camper shell - but virtually any car would have been more comfortable. I borrowed a family member's F150 on Friday to move furniture and 125 miles later I was glad to take it back "home". When I needed to move more items today, I did it in my van.

Drive one before you buy one if you are considering one just because they are "cool".

Having said that, I have enjoyed riding in a full loaded Ram king cab with leather seats.

Be sure to consider gas mileage. Two fellow customers at the car wash/detail this weekend were considering trading in their big 4x4's - for gas reasons.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 08:28 PM

If you golf, where would you put your clubs?
The only travel reason I would buy a truck would be to substitute for a cutiepie car too nice to take on rough trips (Out West, Alaska, etc.)
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 02:41 AM

We have been long-time full size truck owners. The Dodge Rams are wider than Chevies but both are comfortable and you get a better view of the road than in a sedan or sportscar. On the downside, if you don't have a cap, extended cab or lockable tool box, there's no place for the luggage or groceries. For traveling, I much preferred the minivan. The only people I know who have dual axles need them because they tow heavy trailers. If you plan on towing anything heavy, the truck performs better if it was set up at the factory for towing. If I understand it correctly, those that tow are literally geared for it and get less mpg. Trucks are not comfortable if you have a third person. I'm not familiar with the Lincoln but a 1/2 ton pickup will ride more smoothly than a 3/4 ton.
If you buy a truck, make sure you wear obscure gimme hats, not your ordinary baseball caps. It is also more cool if they are worn and a little frayed so it looks like you know how to work on your truck not just drive it. If you can't find an obscure hat, one from the tractor dealer is ok.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 04:06 AM
GoTravel

I don't like the minivans so they are out.

My husband drives an Expedition so I am aware of the gas prices.

Couldn't my golf clubs go in the bed of the truck?

I have driven several trucks before just not on long drives. I am still looking and have been thinking about a truck for a while.

I'm just ready to trade in my sedan. Because it is an import, anytime anything goes wrong, it costs me a fortune.

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 04:48 AM

I have had small truck (mitsubishi) before and liked it alright though the ride was a little rough. Just recently got my first full size (F-150 extended cab) and let me say I will drive one of these for the rest of my days, I just love it. The ride is really smooth and quiet and it is really nice for those trips to Home Depot and Lowes for god knows what. Gas mileage could be better, but I find that it really comes in handy. With the extended cab it will hold 6 adults easily. Just my $0.02.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:11 AM

Well, the old GoTravel is back.

I am so SORRY I gave any input. I debated twice and then decided to give it one more try. Never again.

GT, just buy whatever vehicle you think is cool and that will positively, absolutley be the "RIGHT" decision because it is YOURS.

By the way, no one suggested you get a minivan you know. It is normal part of a conversation of a truck ride to compare it to other vehicles, including vans.

Geez. Buy whatever you think is "cool" and definitely whatever you think is NOT "out". Spend 30 grand based on that criteria, please!

I am amazed that you don't get the golf club comment. Buy the truck without considering that comment and the input others have given you and you'll shortly understand what very nice people were trying to share.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:39 AM

Any vehicle that's tall and have a upright sitting position will be comfortable for long trips. I drove an 18-wheeler for 2.5 years, and 10-hours a day on the road is absolutely no problem.

The thing you can't do in a tall vehicle is to change lanes quick. That's important if you drive very fast and like to squeeze between cars and change lanes 5 times a minute.

Seems like golf-club security, gas prices, or other stuff aren't a concern to you, so I won't comment on that.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 06:59 AM

GoT--We have both a minivan and a Dodge Ram 1500 4 door extended cab (the kind with regular-sized back doors and a full-sized back seat). We actually choose the truck over the van for road trips with our 3 kids (I'm talking 4-5 hours). DH much prefers driving his truck, no matter what the distance, and I like driving it too, and I think the ride is every bit as comfortable as our van. (Haven't owned a sedan in years, so I practically forget what that ride is like!) I'm guessing the Lincoln truck would give you a nice ride.

What we love about the truck is how easy it is to pack for trips. We just throw everything in the back. If we're questioning whether we'll need something or not, we bring it because we have the room with the truck. DH got one of those sliding covers for the bed. It locks and when not in use, takes up virtually no space.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 07:19 AM

Your husbands Expedition is built on a F-150 frame. The ride will be almost identical in most 1/2 ton trucks. I am a SUV owner for the last 2 vehicles and am considering a PU for the next vehicle. I do have hauling and woodsy uses though.

I am liking the looks of an Avalanche because of the 4 doors and the secure, lockable back end.

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 12:37 PM
GoTravel

place2, is the Avalanche the Toyota pickup? That one looks nice too.

klw, that was what I was interested in. Do you have a cover for the bed? I'd have to get a four door because for some reason, the two door makes me clausterphobic.

starrsville, I'm sorry if you have a problem with my posts.

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 12:53 PM

My in-laws take their four door pickup with a full-sized backseat on all of their long trips.

My husband and I have ridden in the backseat a couple of long trips with a car seat between us and have been very comfortable.

I was pretty skeptical at first . . . why drive a big pickup instead of car?? But it was actually just as comfortable as a large car.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 12:53 PM

GoT, We opted not to get the hard cover for the bed because we were told they were heavy and it would take two of us to get it off and on. My DH looked at all the options, and decided that the best one for him was this rolling cover. I think it's called the Roll and Lock or something like that. They mount the box to the top of the bed near the window. It's the width of the truck, but only a few inches long and relatively flat. The cover pulls out just like a window shade would pull down. The material actually reminds me of a shade, except more durable and it has metal inside to make it difficult for someone to cut it with a knife. As you pull it, it locks into place in several positions, and when fully shut, can be locked with a key. We had it installed at a place that specializes in truck accessories. It was more expensive than the other options he considered, but for us, it's been perfect.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 01:03 PM

GoT, get it soon and I can be one of the first to ask for "help"...I don't want to leave some of my plants behind when we move to Portland
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 01:17 PM

GoTravel, make my husband a happy man and BUY THIS COVERTIBLE TRUCK:

http://www.gayot.com/lifestyle/autom...rolet_ssr.html

He says he loves the 50's Retro look of this truck, and it has a Corvette engine inside. Aaaahhhhh. What more could you want? A convertible and a pickemup truck in one!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -