Reload this Page >

travel distance on Big Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 04:37 AM
nancy

We are trying to figure out where to stay in our 3 day trip to HAwaii's Big Island. What is the distance in travel time from the Hilton in Waikoloa Village to the Volcano National Park?

Thanks!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Alice

Love the Waikiloa but if you only have a few days you are doing yourself and injustice by not staying close to the volcano. The lave flow distroys everything in it's wake so it is a 25 minute drive from the closest hotel to the flow. You want to get night views of the volcano. I would stay at the volcano house it is the only hotel in the park. You can still drive to black or green sand beaches. The driving is a pain on the big island. The trip you are talking about is if memory serves 4 hours round trip. When I lived on Oahu (4yrs ago)we use to make the choice, Waikoloa or Volcano never both on the same trip unless we had a week. Now if you want to drive a short distance 1 1/2 hours from the volcano go to Waipio Ridge go on the web for photos. This area is gorgeous. Don't miss the volcano at night. Waikoloa is a great hotel but with any luck one will be in your area before you die. Can you say the same for an active volcano? Just kidding have fun.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 06:00 AM
Frank

Nancy: I'd recommend staying at any of the very nice hotels on the Kohala Coast and take an early morning drive (about 2 hours) to Volcano National Park. It's a nice drive, with plenty to see, but save those stops for the return drive. If you leave your hotel at 8 am, you can spend 3-4 hours or more at VNP (that's enough for me),and then drive back, perhaps stopping en route at Akaka Falls or at the Hawaiian Tropical Gardens. You will be back at your hotel in time for a late afternoon/sunset swim! The hotels are far superior, and the weather more reliable (dry) on the Kohala Coast, than on the Hilo side. As far as night views of the volcano, it is by no means certain that you'll see molten lava and, in my opinion, doesn't justify staying in or near VNP.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Steve

Most of the distinctive landscape is on the volcano side. It all depends what your fancy is. I agree with Alice I would take in a night view. Perhaps you want to call the park to find out what the chances are of not seeing a flow. I have been about 5-6 times and we never had a problem seeing a beautiful flow into the ocean. Of course you don’t see that much during the day. I would not brave that tropical sun to see and feel more heat, not more than once anyway.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 07:27 AM
Suzie

We visited the BI a few years ago and intended to see the volcano it's just that there is so much beauty on the BI that we never did make it. It didn't help that our hotel was on beautiful Anaehoomalu Bay (Royal Waikoloan, now the Outrigger)and the hotel had hammocks stretched between the trees for guest to languish in. We visited Waipo Valley which is truly awesome, then out to Parker Ranch, Captain Cook Monument and Hapuna Beach. Oh, so much to see so little time. Have a great time.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 06:24 AM
Kelly

Aloha Nancy,

I think the real issue is what you will be doing the rest of your Hawaiian trip. If you will be enjoying sandy beaches, nice resorts, snorkeling, etc. on other islands then I would dedicate your 3 days on BI to the Volcano/Hilo/Hamakua Coast area.

Make Kilauea Lodge(www.kilauealodge.com) your home base and explore VNP for 1-2 days, head over to Punalu'u Beach Park's black sand beach for a couple of hours, and spend a day exploring the beautiful northern Hamakua Coast between Hilo and Waimea. It is easy to fly into and out of Hilo, and you will spend much less time in the car getting from the Kona/Kohala area to other parts of the island.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other questions.