Reload this Page >

Trattoria dopo teatro, Osteria al Doge, or Torre di Pisa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 06:42 PM
Patrick

Ok, we've narrowed our last night in New York to a 10:00 after theatre dinner New York/Italian style. Which of the above three would you recommend and why?

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 09:41 AM
Greg

For what it's worth: My wife and I have eaten at only one of the three: Osteria al Doge. It was a weeknight in September before we went to a play.

Our meal was so-so; perhaps that was our menu selection error. But the service was excellent; in fact, so excellent that I sought out the manager or owner and told him so.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 10:44 AM
Caitlin

Patrick, this response may be entirely unhelpful to you, but nevertheless.... Forst, I can't comment on the three places you mention, as I haven't been to any of them. Second, I'm not completely sure what you mean by New York/Italian style; is this and/or, or do you mean you want Italian? Finally, you may have researched exhustively already, covered the following, and really just want to choose among the three you name, but...here re a few more ideas for good places in the theater district/west-50s area that are in the same neighborhood pricewise, and should have no problem with a 10 pm seating (provided it's not Sunday, of course):

Osteria del Circo, run by the Maccionis of Le Cirque fame.

Redeye Grill or Shelley's New York, run by the same guy who runs Trattoria Del Arte, but concentrating on upscale American comfort food and seafood.

Cite Grill, which offers the same free-flowing wine deal with a prix-fixe dinner after 8 pm as Cite, but costs a bit less and is open later. The wines are usually pretty good.

Brasserie 8 1/2. Haven't been, and the food has had somewhat mixed reviews, but it's a very new and now destination and open late.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 11:19 AM
enuf

Jezz, Patrick, I'm sick of your questions. Enough already! Can't you and your boyfriend make a decision on your own?

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 11:36 AM
Patrick

Gee, "Enuf", you make me so glad that I continually offer advice on this forum and only occassionally ask for some myself. You must make your mother proud with your attitude. I have no idea what you mean by "my boyfriend" by the way.
To Caitlin: I'm not sure exactly what I meant by New York/Italian, except that I have never found a restaurant in New York that is quite like a true little trattoria in Italy, although a few in Little Italy come close. The reason I had narrowed down to these three is that I have not eaten at any of them, and we were seeking Italian that night. Have eaten at the others you suggest, all very good. Osterio del Circo is wonderful, but seems almost as pricey as Le Cirque is (or at least used to be), and more of a "big deal" restaurant. It never seems like a casual dining experience like I thought it was going to be when it first opened. Maybe the same is true of my other selections. Redeye Grill is fun, Cite Grill is a lot like Judson where we are eating another night. What is Brasserie 8 1/2? Heard or read recently of another new late night place called simply The Brasserie, I think, but thought it was over on 3rd or 2nd Ave? Is this the same one?

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 12:45 PM
howard

Patrick, now that you mention it, you're right about the feel of NY Italian restaurants.
Have you ever tried Remi (on W. 53rd St., between 6th & 7th)? Excellent Northern Italian.
I'm not sure if they serve as late as 10 p.m. Give 'em a call. (212-581-4242).

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 04:43 PM
Caitlin

Patrick, I found your comments about Osteria del Circo interesting. It certainly may be more expensive than the places you're mentioning here, but I don't think the entrees go above $25, and the pastas certainly not above $20. And yes, it's got showy decor, but I've always had relaxed and low-key meals when there, especially in those early/late pre/post-theater hours, and never found it to feel overly formal.

Brasserie 8 1/2 is a different place than the Brasserie, and is on the West side. Like the Brasserie, its design is the big deal, and as I said, the food has had mixed reviews. It sounds like it might be more money and more scene than you're wanting (besides not being Italian). If you're curious, this URL will get you to a review from New York Magazine: www.newyorkmag.com/page.cfm?page_id=3831

If you haven't been to Judson Grill before, you're in for a treat--the room is swanky and the food is wonderful.

Old Dec 9th, 2000, 07:29 PM
Dona

Patrick,

I've eaten at all 3. Dopo teatro is much more casual; Osteria al Doge is fine but I've heard mixed revuews from others; I'd choose Torre di Pisa.

If you decide on Dopo Teatro, ask for a table in the lower level, by the waterfall.

Dona