Transportation from San Francisco airport

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 06:16 PM
Danielle

Transportation from San Francisco airport

Do hotels in SF offer shuttle service to/from the SFO or Oakland airports or do you have to take a cab?

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 06:31 PM
molly

Check with your hotel.
If shuttle service isn't included, a shuttle bus is an easy and affordable option. There are many shuttles lined up along the curb outside SFO. Be sure and ask the price before you go, and if time is an issue, how long before they reach your stop. My husband and I used Super Shuttle. If memory serves, we paid about $24 plus tip each way for the two of us. We made a reservation for our return trip to the airport. We found SS to be efficient,prompt, polite and friendly.
Of course, depending on the # of passangers and personal preference, a cab might be a better option - compare.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 06:34 PM
molly

Oops - Oakland airport might present different options; I'm only familiar with transportaion from SFO.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 03:50 AM
molly

Hi Danielle,
Me again!
Maybe it was $24 both ways .....
Topping for you so a local or someone with a better memory {we visited only last year - the mind is the first to go!} can guide you in the right direction.
Enjoy San Fran!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:20 PM
xxx

There are a variety of ways to get around from SFO. There is a bus which costs $1.25 that will take you to the BART station and you can take the BART into SFO or Oakland. You can also take a regular bus from SFO to S.F. There are a variety of shuttle services.

I have no info re: Oakland airport.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:57 AM
ex

I would call the particular hotel. Or if you don't have one, call several and see if they do.

Cabs from the airports can be very expensive. When we landed in SFO and wanted to go to the east bay (San Lorenzo, not to far from Oakland) they gave us a price of $100.

We ended up taking the super shuttle, but because the other passengers all were headed to widespread places, it ended up taking us 3 hours instead of the 45 if we'd had our own car.

If you can, rent a car (they always have shuttles or will pick you up at the airport). Otherwise use BART.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:17 AM
S.

Keep in mind that if you rent a car, you may have to pay big bucks to park in the city. Transferring to Bart with a load of luggage can be a big hassle. IMO the shuttle - yes, be sure and ask approx. how long til you're dropped off, is often the easiest option and not all that expensive. When my family visited, it took perhaps under 45 min to get to our hotel and later back to the airport - we actually enjoyed the free "tour", and it was way more relaxing than having to navigate the bus system.