Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Transportation from LaGuardia to Manhattan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 05:43 PM
Nancy

Would it be better for us to take a ...taxi, bus, or whatever else is available there to our hotel in Manhattan? First time in NYC. Thank you.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 01:33 AM
Anne

Nancy

If there are a couple of you it would be worthwhile catching a taxi. It will cost a little more ($25-$30 for taxi or $11 or more per person for the bus). The taxi will also take you straight to your hotel. I mean the bus will too, but you will visit everybody else's hotel along the way too and this could mean an extra 1/2 hour or more until you get to your hotel. I've done both and now alway catch a taxi even when I am on my own.

Anne in Australia

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 05:24 AM
flyboy

I second the vote for a taxi. If there are two or more of you, it's the most economical and convenient. If you go across a bridge with a toll, don't be surprised if the cab driver asks you to pay it ($3 in think). Once you're in the city, learn how to use the subway, it's cheap, safe, and efficient (although not always pretty).
Have fun!

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 01:34 PM
thereuare

Also, DO wait in line for a yellow taxi. DON"T take one of the "gypsy" cabs from somebody in the baggage area that asks if you want a taxi.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 03:53 PM
Cindy

Nancy, we have taken a Town Car from the airport.....at around $40.00 plus tip. We have done this twice. The Hotel Concierge will help you arrange it and the driver will pick you up at the baggage claim area. It is great. Depending on the time of day you arrive and the day of the week....a cab could be quite a wait. Hope this helps you.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 04:13 PM
Pam

Nancy,

I second the taxi vote. And, the last time a group of four of us were there, we called ahead for one of those "limos" to take us to the airport on leaving day. It was really fairly cheap (~$40 plus tip) and also big and roomy and more comfy than a taxi. A nice way to end the trip. Much less stressful than a taxi too!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:33 AM
aj

Can you arrange for Town Car pick-up when you arrive at the airport? If so, what is the name/number of a good company? Thanks!