Transportation from La Guardia

May 10th, 1999, 11:37 AM
Judy

Transportation from La Guardia

What is the best way to get to New York from La Guardia airport? How much would a taxi cost? Do any of the more affordable (but still nice) hotels have airport pick up? I will be arriving with my daughter at 10pm so I want to have an easy, safe mode of transportation to a good location in New York for a day and a half of sight seeing before cruising to Bermuda. All sugestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Judy

May 10th, 1999, 12:05 PM
Emily

Grayline runs shuttle buses from the airport to the midtown Manhatten hotels. I think it was around $14 a person, one way, when we were there last month. They have a desk in the ground transportation area of the airport and you just buy your ticket when you get off the plane.

May 10th, 1999, 12:48 PM
Judy

Thanks for the info Emily,
Do you know if any of the hotels have shuttle vans or busses that go directly to their hotel?

Judy

May 10th, 1999, 01:37 PM
Neal Sanders

Thanks for providing the magic information that you and your daughter would be arriving at 10 p.m.

A cab to midtown at that hour of the evening will be about $25; about the same as two tickets for the Carey bus that drops you off at Grand Central Station and at the largest hotels on the west side.

By all means take a cab; you'll save at least half an hour and you'll not be faced with paying a cab to take you to your hotel if it isn't on the Carey bus route.

Hotel limos, where they exist at all, run only for guests with extensive histories at a particular hotel.

May 10th, 1999, 01:46 PM
Chuck

I agree completely with Neal. For two people at ten o'clock at night the taxi will be just as cheap as Carey bus plus it will go right to your hotel. Watch the meter, there should be an extra charge only for picking you up after 8 pm - no charge for luggage or extra person. Enjoy the big city.

May 11th, 1999, 06:32 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Neal's right. Take a cab. Depending on the route taken, you may have to pay a $3.50 bridge toll. Some cabbies make you pay this at the toll booth and some have electronic cards that automatically pay and then the $3.50 is added to the meter at the end of the trip. Tip should be between 10-15%.

Every cab I've taken has been clean and comfortable and the drivers are either friendly or very quiet.