Transport to Fenway

Old Jul 19th, 2019, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transport to Fenway

Will be staying in Newton in September. Want to attend a baseball game. Will have a rental car but want suggestions on the best way to get to the stadium.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 03:45 AM

Where in Newton? If near enough to MBTA Green Line; get off at Kenmore (not Fenway!). It will be very crowded. On return trip, make sure you get on the correct letter train of the Green Line - or you may have to switch trains at Park St or Copley.

Take an Uber. There is now a designated Uber pickup spot near Fenway. If you must drive, park at the Prudential garage. They have some discounted Red Sox game parking deal that I remember hearing about, but don't know details.

For September game, make sure you bring a jacket. Plan on temperatures 10-15 degrees colder than what the weather guy says. I always freeze half to death at Fenway for Spring and Fall games. Don't sit in Grandstand sections 2, 3, 4, - there are always seats available there but the seats face the wrong way unless you twist your body at a weird angle.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 03:48 AM
J62

& be sure to wear your NYY hat. I have 27 if you need one....hoping to get #28 this year.....
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

The address is 15 Nonantum St. 1
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 04:10 AM

Sorry - don't know where that address is. When I went to MBTA.com and used their routing option it has you taking a bus with 27 stops - not something I would think would enhance your Boston experience. I would suggest locating nearest Green Line stop with parking - and go from there.
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

My husband thinks that we should just try to drive there with the rental car and try to find parking. We live near Minneapolis and have lived near Chicago so are used to driving in rush hours. Hopefully it will work out!!!
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 03:09 PM
J62

The issue isn't driving the 6 in Boston, it's parking. I'd listen to a local like Gail, but if your husband has a better plan more power to him.
good luck.

Last edited by J62; Jul 31st, 2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 03:29 AM

I actually get it. I often would rather drive than use local public transportation in unknown cities, so I guess I am nuts as well. If you are going to drive, check out Red Sox discount at Prudential Center garage. Its about a half mile walk on safe streets. If he insists on driving closer to Fenway, there are many small lots and larger garages, many owned by Boston University, that will be happy to charge you about $50 to park. Cash only. Guys in the street waving flags will direct you. Good options on Commonwealth Avenue just west of Kenmore Square. Some along Brookline Ave as well. Traffic after the game is even more maddening than before, but we drive in to games and just deal with it. Some of the lots are "leave your keys" type and they block you in - if you have an issue with that there are many other options. We like the BU SMG (School of Management) garage on Comm Ave - but biased since as BU alums we get 1/2 price parking.

There is about a 0.001% chance you will find street parking. Much of it is Residents only. The rest is metered that are electronically controlled around Red Sox schedule so that you can't put enough time for a game on the meter. And you will get a ticket. They can probably fund Boston budget with parking fines related to Red Sox.

If by any chance this is Labor Day weekend, you are in trouble with driving except for perhaps Prudential. That is Boston University move-in weekend and many of the parking areas will be full or closed to Red Sox parking. But looking at schedule, I think they are away that weekend, returning beginning of Sept - not sure if it settles down a few days after.

I'm not going to beat you up for wanting to drive - as I said, I get it. Just be prepared for traffic, high cost; leave lots of time. Look at it as part of the Boston experience. Happy to answer any other questions. Have a good trip.
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Appreciate all of the good advice. When we drive to Twins games we have the guys on the streets waving the flags like you mentioned. It isn't labor day weekend, it would be 9/18 I think. I have never used Uber but my sister in law has. We will be sharing the cost, so maybe either uber or high cost parking won't be that big of a deal. Can't miss the opportunity to go to the game though. THanks again.
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 08:43 AM

We go to 3 or 4 games per year and always park at the Prudential Center (driving in from central Massachusetts). Easy walk to the park. If you park close to Fenway Park you will pay a very high price and be stuck in traffic leaving (with everyone else).

https://www.parkprudentialcenter.com..._baseball.html
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

This looks like a great option. Thanks