train route from Seattle to Omaha

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking the train home from Seattle. Have three options.
Seattle to Sacamento and then to Omaha.
Seattle to Vancouver/ Vancouver to Banff/ then bus to Calgary and fly home to Omaha. OR Vancouver to Chicago or maybe it was just Seattle to Chicago and then fly home.
Anyone have any opinion on these?
The second one is a 4 day three night train trip with lodging each night.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 01:39 PM
J62

What is your objective? Is to find the most enjoyable/scenic train ride starting from Seattle, and end up a few days later in Omaha? Or is it the most convenient/hassle free way to get from point A to point B?
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

J62 Well my husband loves trains and we want a way home that will be different and have a feel of a vacation without flying. Hassle free isn't our objective. Probably want to know how much more scenic is the Canadian route vs the other two since the price is so much higher when all is said and done. Also looking for anyone who has experienced some train trips for pleasure. Thank you for your question. It was a good one.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 09:27 AM

Another option - The Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago and then the Zephyr from Chicago to Ohmaha. I really enjoyed the Empire Builder views from the train.

Seattle to Sacramento on the Coast Starlight is a good trip. Done this one 3 times.

You have daylight for the most scenic part of the trip along Puget Sound into Portland and into northern CA.

I did the Zepyr into Sacto from Chicago and found it to be a really good trip. During the summer you should have daylght through the best parts.

Also did Seattle to Vancouver and it was a nice trip with lots to see, but have never been across Canada on the train.

The best, but most often running behind schedule, for me was the Coast Starlight. Had a roomette on all trips so meals are included and other perks.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

boom_boom
Have been studying the timetables to see where the train is in the daylight. All tours start in Chicago and go to Seattle. To me this is because going from Seattle to Chicago is hitting lots of the good stuff in the night. Have you gone from Seattle to Chicago? Am I correct in thinking this? The Zephyr from Sacramento to Omaha looks like there are good daytime hours. But you said you did it the other direction. Correct? All together the trip is 66 hours.
Do you think this is too long for enjoyment?
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 03:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
From Seattle I've only gone as far as the first hop south to Portland on the Coast Starlight. It was a great train (observation cars, dining cars, etc.) heading all the way to LA. Yes it it notoriously late. It's quite scenic for a short stretch when you first leave Seattle along the Puget Sound.

Matter of personal preference but 66 hours would be WAY too long for me to be enjoyable (but since your husband loves trains maybe it's OK for you).
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 08:03 PM

I didn't find 66 hours too long....I enjoy just watching the countryside go by. And, as I said, it was in roomette, I wouldn't enjoy regular coach on such a long trip. My Seattle to Chicago train was two hours late leaving Seattle so we got more on Monanta, around Glacier Park in the daylight, but if on itme, it would have been dark for some of that.
Yes, I did the Zephyr FROM Chigago to Sacramento. Had daylight through the Rockies and it was November, so very good mountian views.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. We have decided to save the 3 day train trip for when we can't walk so well and are going to spend the money biking in Ireland. We will see how this idea goes.